Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

DisneyfanMA

Yes, I'm excited for the additions. I hardly spend any time in HS, it's like a 1/2 day or less there in the past several years. I loved the GMR so I hope the new ride doesn't disappoint. I'm also excited for the Slinky Dog Coaster ride, it looks cool. As far as Star Wars, unless I can get a FP+, I'm not waiting in super long lines.

I’m hoping the massive lines in Star Wars land help relieve the rest of the park. Of course they will likely raise overall attendance as well so we have to see. Will be traveling with young kids and neither my wife or I are much into Star Wars but will walk the area and maybe sneak in 1 ride myself. I will not do 90 minute lines that’s for sure. Hope by nov 2020 that’s not case, but wouldn’t be surprised if it still is.

DisneyRoy

I’m hoping the massive lines in Star Wars land help relieve the rest of the park. Of course they will likely raise overall attendance as well so we have to see. Will be traveling with young kids and neither my wife or I are much into Star Wars but will walk the area and maybe sneak in 1 ride myself. I will not do 90 minute lines that’s for sure. Hope by nov 2020 that’s not case, but wouldn’t be surprised if it still is.

I would be surprised if it's not since FoP is still over that wait just about every day now.

Edit: it's currently over 2.5 hours as I write this.

ThistleMae

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised about the super long waits for the next several years but if they offer FP+, we shall have a chance to experience the rides. And you will probably have the opportunity to experience both rides by Nov. 2020.

ThistleMae

I would be surprised if it's not since FoP is still over that wait just about every day now.

Edit: it's currently over 2.5 hours as I write this.
I know right...FOP...still going strong. I'm sure SWGE and the rides will be crowded and have long waits for years to come. I would bet on that one.

DisneyRoy

I know right...FOP...still going strong. I'm sure SWGE and the rides will be crowded and have long waits for years to come. I would bet on that one.

Absolutely. Which is why I hope they hold off on FP+ for those rides for the time being. I know everyone loves them as it lets them bypass the line, but all it does is make the standby line a non-moving mess.

raymusiccity

Especially since the increase in budget would have been fairly small to make it twice the length. It is Accountanteering at its finest. But it's clearly all they had to do. Had Universal opened some ride like that, with one AA at the end, and no story, people would just say how it's more of how Universal just can't compete, and why they don't go there. At AK, it gets 1 hour waits daily.
....sort of like being confronted by a more or less truncated version of King Kong at the end of a ride!

ToTBellHop

In the concept art, it looked like a projection but who knows. It might represent a sticker.
Only because you guessed it, I can exclusively reveal the sticker they’ll apply to each train:

Hawg G

....sort of like being confronted by a more or less truncated version of King Kong at the end of a ride!

Kong was never touted as anything beyond a medium addition to IOA to give it a new ride. Universal has been getting trashed because they put in new D tickets, admitting they were D tickets, and they had D ticket budgets. But at least they put them in. Disney avoided new rides to the point they started seeing guest satisfaction plummet.

They have two guest bases: Those that go all the time, and don't care if they only get 3 rides a day and praise everything, and then everyone else. Thing is, I truly think the former is not some insignificant portion, perhaps even 30% or more (which would only be a few percent of the US population). Those people will gladly pay more for less year after year, because they are "home". Plus, most of those folks just laugh off Universal as competition, and many never even go. They say Universal just puts in screens, then say FoP is the greatest ride in the world.

Disney has still not really knocked a home run new tech E ticket in the US for decades. Yeah, FoP, it's Soarin with a new seat base and higher definition. As safe of a ride as they could have built with the head scratching popularity of Soarin'.

This ride COULD be that ride finally does put Imagineering in the forefront again. I mean, it's about time. Spider-man opened 20 years ago. But it SHOULD be. Disney is spending massive money on all these recent rides, and bragging about it. Even though it was a result of them not spending money on rides for a long time. NRJ had MUCH higher expectations on it than Kong, which anyone paying attention knew was simply the film from Hollywood with an AA at the end, and a really cool one in the queue no one mentions, even though it's better than any AA in Pandora. NRJ was supposed to be a solid D ticket, when it's firmly a C ticket with a big budget, and an AA speaking gibberish at the end doing yoga.

Hawg G

It’s worth noting the “engine” will be clearly visible and viewable at load.

It will be interesting to see if Disney starts putting high end AAs on trackless vehicles. It sounds like the dance studio has one. I've got to think they are not top tier, simply due to the AA moving, and you moving, and it simply not being a major focal point necessitating a top tier AA. Goofy is shown in the artwork as both leaning out the side, and talking out the back, so it sure looks like screens.

glendroid

Disney has still not really knocked a home run new tech E ticket in the US for decades. Yeah, FoP, it's Soarin with a new seat base and higher definition. As safe of a ride as they could have built with the head scratching popularity of Soarin'.

Doesn't have to be "new tech" E ticket if it's just a quality/well made E Ticket. New ride systems are fine and dandy, but there is nothing wrong with improving and existing system itself or what surrounds them if they can provide an immersive experience that engrosses the rider (Which isn't that the goal in the end?). Alot of people besides us who frequent these boards probably don't care about "how they did this" or "the tech behind this part". They want an experience they can't get anywhere else. If you can produce that... old tech or "new tech"... it's all the same in the end.

As to the claim of yours.. I'll bite . Both of these evolution's are within the last decade and meaningful ones to their respective parks at that.
Test Track to Radiator Springs Racers
Soarin to Flight of Passage

Future:
Star Tours/Mission Space to Smuggler's Run

Hawg G

Doesn't have to be "new tech" E ticket if it's just a quality/well made E Ticket. New ride systems are fine and dandy, but there is nothing wrong with improving the system itself or what surrounds them if they can provide an immersive experience that engrosses the rider.

As to the claim of yours.. I'll bite . Both of these evolution's are within the last decade and meaningful ones to their respective parks at that.
Test Track to Radiator Springs Racers
Soarin to Flight of Passage

Future:
Star Tours/Mission Space to Smuggler's Run

RSR has very unique AAs, for sure. It's fun, but no evolution at all, IMHO. It's much slower than TT, and the dark ride section is short. And the forced perspective is just awful in some areas. Journey is leaps and bounds better, and much older.

Soarin to FoP. I just don't get either one's popularity. Disney guests love watching movies, I guess.

ST to SR is very much up in the air it seems. Reports coming out aren't fantastic, even for people who didn't wait 4 hours. MIssion Space has nothing to do with it any more than Horizons or Spaceship Earth. The lower height requirement for SR tells me Disney was definitely not swinging for the fences. Just shooting for the masses, just like FoP did.

As I've said before, Disney can get away with it. I mean, even a ride as poor as NRJ has super long lines still. The parks are overcrowded, so they don't need any more people. I recall when the Grateful Dead had their hit "Touch of Gray". They begged fans of just it to NOT come to their concerts. Disney could literally do that with SWGE. Beg people to not come. Run commercials saying the new rides suck. And they would STILL have 3 hour long waits.

Bleed0range

RSR has very unique AAs, for sure. It's fun, but no evolution at all, IMHO. It's much slower than TT, and the dark ride section is short. And the forced perspective is just awful in some areas. Journey is leaps and bounds better, and much older.

Soarin to FoP. I just don't get either one's popularity. Disney guests love watching movies, I guess.

ST to SR is very much up in the air it seems. Reports coming out aren't fantastic, even for people who didn't wait 4 hours. MIssion Space has nothing to do with it any more than Horizons or Spaceship Earth. The lower height requirement for SR tells me Disney was definitely not swinging for the fences. Just shooting for the masses, just like FoP did.

As I've said before, Disney can get away with it. I mean, even a ride as poor as NRJ has super long lines still. The parks are overcrowded, so they don't need any more people. I recall when the Grateful Dead had their hit "Touch of Gray". They begged fans of just it to NOT come to their concerts. Disney could literally do that with SWGE. Beg people to not come. Run commercials saying the new rides suck. And they would STILL have 3 hour long waits.

RSR may not be as fast, but the theme makes it wayyyy better imo. I would consider the whole concept to be a genius utilization of the TT tech to an IP/theme. And it’s impressive.

glendroid

I can’t even think of a coherent way to reply to these statements.

Only comment I’ll make... if you really think that’s being slower than Test track, having a “short” but high quality dark ride section with top notch AAs and a fully realized canyon to race another car through isn’t a evolution from a ride in a warehouse with some screens and black light (I tried to simply test track like you did to Radiator Springs Racers but realized I couldn’t any further because it actually is what I describe)... I don’t think any ride will impress you ever. Don’t get me wrong... test track is tons of fun and I love it. But Radiator springs racers is one of the very limited Modern WOW rides Disney has state side.

Hawg G

I can’t even think of a coherent way to reply to these statements.

Only comment I’ll make... if you really think that’s being slower than Test track, having a “short” but high quality dark ride section with top notch AAs and a fully realized canyon to race another car through isn’t a evolution from a ride in a warehouse with some screens and black light (I tried to simply test track like you did to Radiator Springs Racers but realized I couldn’t any further because it actually is what I describe)... I don’t think any ride will impress you ever. Don’t get me wrong... test track is tons of fun and I love it. But Radiator springs racers is one of the very limited Modern WOW rides Disney has state side.

So people can't read "Journey is leaps and bounds better, and much older. "

RSR is a leap forward from TT, but it's the THIRD ride using the tech, and the best one opened almost 20 years ago with Tokyo DisneySea.

Carsland was DCA's facing reality moment, just like this round of rides is to WDW. So, yea, Disney spent a LOT of money on the ride. It's extremely popular, as Cars is marketed so heavily to boys, and DCA in general is pretty low on quality rides. It's a modern C/D ticket dark ride, with an outside racing section added.

matt9112

I'd fully support killing of Jungle Cruise for a better use of the land, presuming something of the order of Pandora/FoP. And give up PotC for Shanghai's version. And the current coaster in Space Mountain for a much better one with a smoother ride and better FX. And IaSW for a much better updated one (preferably in Epcot). And Speedway for electric TRON racers (or RC Racers in TSL). I would have been totally on board with TGMR having most of its scenes updated and MMRR going elsewhere, as long as TGMR was indeed updated.

Many of these attractions are noted for being the worst version of their cloned siblings or terribly outdated or terribly maintained, and yet, even with that acknowledgment, people throw their bodies in front of the wrecking ball because they're preserving their nostalgia, not a good experience for the next generation.

Frankly, its selfish.

disney has not convinced me that what they build is better than what was before....i agree with you 100% except that when has disney torn down something lately and given us something clearly better. pandora could technically be said to have replaced camp minnie micky. but that wasn't really an attraction either. things that junp to mind are stich...frozen...test track... sure the first two were some type of repurposing mixed with new but maybe thats the norm?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom