Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

aliceismad

Am I the only one that thinks it is sad that adults 24 to 27 are still into comics. At that age I had already been to a war, got married and was frantically busting my butt to support my family. Comics were never a part of that. Cartoons my kids were watching was part of it, but, not comics.
What a horrible thing to say. Comics (and graphic novels) are a genre of literature. Do you also look down on people from reading Sci Fi or Danielle Steel? Or adults who play video games or frequent theme parks (filled with characters from children's cartoons)? Comics have immense universes that go far beyond the kiddie cartoons. Actually quite a lot are pretty dark and not really intended for small kids. (Just like the movies aren't exactly rated G.) Many of the comic fans I know are or have been in the military FYI and have also been to war and are supporting their families.

Hawg G

I know cynicism is fun BUT truth/accuracy is better. All of these have modern AAs:
1. Frozen Ever After (love the Olaf ones)
2. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
3. Guardians Mission Breakout
4. Pirates Shanghai
5. Latest version Star Tours
6. Probably more.....

OK, going with US, as I said, and I don't consider preshow AAs as being part of a ride, so I think Rocket is out.
Of your list, the Olaf ones are definitely nice, but I'm pretty sure Disney PR isn't going to be "this ride is just as good as the low budget overlay we did for that 30 year old flume at Epcot."

For having the 6 most attended parks in the country, the amount of modern rides built in the 18 years preceding the current wave was ridiculously small. And RSR is easily the largest ride that Disney has opened in this century in the US. So, would you really think they would not say this ride is even better than that?

Hawg G

Ehhhhhh…

This argument could also be used to replace Jungle Cruise, which actually fits your concerns better than GMR. The boat system is very outdated, the story is laughable 1960s cornball dad jokes, it has a huge plot of very valuable land in the most popular park and its completely reliant on cast members.

I have no issue with MMRR coming, I think it will be an incredible ride and a great addition. The issue I have is its doing the WoM->TT thing and replacing a classic with something that, while great, ever so slightly erodes that history that keeps the parks connected to the Disney Corp of old.

I'm stunned Jungle Cruise still exists. I assume it must get huge numbers with new visitors, and the "It's an original Walt ride" crowd. But the truth is, it's horrible. I would love to see the guest satisfaction numbers for it broken down.

Hawg G

Most of that sounds eminently reasonable. And completely implausible.

We won’t get Shanghai Pirates or an updated IaSW. Worst case, we’ll get Imagination. Best case, we’ll get a load of screens. And I have very real doubts screen-heavy rides will delight future generations.

Like Shanghai Pirates, Soarin, Midway Mania, FoP, Ratatouille, one, if not both Star Wars rides.....

Casper Gutman

Like Shanghai Pirates, Soarin, Midway Mania, FoP, Ratatouille, one, if not both Star Wars rides.....
Shanghai Pirates is a masterful combination of practical sets, AAs, screens, and other sfx. I have no problem with that whatsoever, and hopefully RotR will be in that class.

Soarin’ and (especially) TSMM already seem very dated to me. TSMM, in fact, joins Mission Space as one of the few WDW attractions I wouldn’t be very interested in riding even as a walk on. I am looking forward to Rat because it seems like a cute ride and doesn’t replace anything, but it also seems like a more primitive version of Spidey and Transformers (those who have ridden it can correct me). I don’t see it aging well.

Hawg G

Shanghai Pirates is a masterful combination of practical sets, AAs, screens, and other sfx. I have no problem with that whatsoever, and hopefully RotR will be in that class.

Soarin’ and (especially) TSMM already seem very dated to me. TSMM, in fact, joins Mission Space as one of the few WDW attractions I wouldn’t be very interested in riding even as a walk on. I am looking forward to Rat because it seems like a cute ride and doesn’t replace anything, but it also seems like a more primitive version of Spidey and Transformers (those who have ridden it can correct me). I don’t see it aging well.

It isn't a form of Spidey AT ALL. There is perhaps movement, but it is very tiny. NOt in the same league as the Universal rides. Also, it does employ a very small bit of moving points of convergence (squiching), but since there are three cars at one screen, that can only be minimally done.

I am Timmy

Am I the only one that thinks it is sad that adults 24 to 27 are still into comics. At that age I had already been to a war, got married and was frantically busting my butt to support my family. Comics were never a part of that. Cartoons my kids were watching was part of it, but, not comics.
Yes. My 27 year old is special needs and on disability, so the joys in his life are few and far between. His 24 year old brother enjoys it with him so they have something they can share - and I am a 49 year old woman that actively participates with them. Who cares that adults enjoy the stories and art style of comics? You presume they aren't doing anything else with their lives? They are both in college and doing just fine, thank you.

I am Timmy

Having said all that, MMRR, being based on a cartoon, will hopefully be the attraction Mickey and Minnie deserve! I miss GMR, but change happens and I really can't wait to see this in person. I was hoping it would be open for our Dec. trip, but that just means I'll have something new to try on our next trip! I saw the video about the ride vehicle being painted in a way that will show up in light and dark places, that should be interesting.

The Mom

Premium Member
10. If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

From the ToS which everyone agreed to upon registering. I removed multiple off topic, argumentative posts.

Kman101

Seeing it before painting it as the resurrection?

Of course .... but a lot of you trash things before experiencing it ;)

Here's a novel concept .... you can hate they removed the GMR but still like the replacement ;) I think almost all of us would agree it should have been a new build and GMR should have been refurbed. But here we are. (And if folks don't find a reason to hate it for that one alone, they trash the animation style, which is their right, I get it's personal preference)

From what little's been said, this should be an impressive ride. But to each their own ;) Just sort of funny in this case you're the one "waiting and seeing" when you just knocked that approach .... maybe we're all just a tad hypocritical at times ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom