Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

PorterRedkey

Did you ever ride If You Had Wings?

Or forget DAKs newest land has two attractions made of screens?

Wait for SLOP.
I would suggest that Navi River is not “made of screens”.

It not like they sit you in front of of the screen as the story is told to you like Gringotts (a ride I love). I would have liked more AAs, but I feel the screens in NRJ add to the depth of the immersion. The one AA we did get is pretty awesome as well.

I think can both agree that IYHW was a great attraction in its day. 🙂

Markiewong

If only it had smellitizers, Hot/Cold effects and water spray gag. Would it be enough to elevate it from D to E? Maybe. Throw in an AA or two and Remy's Ratatoolong of a name would REALLY be something!
Rat uses hot/cold effect in the stove and fridge scene. Smellitizers are used in the fridge scene and the ending restaurant scene. And there is a water spray gag in the final kitchen scene (with the champagne bottle) and the mop flying in your face. However, Disneyland Paris being Disneyland Paris most of the effects are broken 90% of the time. :rolleyes:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ya know.... between "all screens and nothing but screens" and "no screens at all" can exist a hybrid of "screens" and "not-screens" at varying proportions.

And... when it comes to screens you can have a 30 inch 720p monitor in a wall surrounded by fake rock work that your vehicle lazily drives past or you can have really big multi-plane screens or you can have giant surround screens with laser 8K projectors with synced motion vehicles.

Saying "screens" dismissively is like say "ugh, it's a "ride"" dismissively to BTMR because Aladdin Carpet spinner exists as a ride.

PorterRedkey

I’d compare NRJ to Gringotts precisely. Both use set dressing to frame screens, as the ride system moves you from screen to screen. But that’s just me.
I would say Gringotts is more like Ratatouille.

I don’t think you go from screen to screen on NRJ. They are there to add depth to the environment. While both rides use screens framed by scenery, Gringotts makes them the focal point by stopping you in front of them and having the story unfold before moving you to the next screen.

On NRJ you float by all the scenery including the screens. The rider can focus on the screens if they want, but there is so much else to look at besides that on NRJ. The whole Gringotts experience/story would just be a coaster through caves with awkward stops if you took the screens away.

You would know the tech better than me, but to me the depth and color look much better on NRJ than Gringotts as well. Maybe it’s the 3-D.

We talked the day you first rode the Pandora attractions, so I think I know how you feel about the land overall. I just think NRJ gets too much hate. So sometime I feel the need to defend this beautiful ride with an amazing AA.

bclane

My opinion of FJ is that the props on the ride are a total failure and look really cheap. The screens are OK to good. The queue is excellent.
Yeah I would agree that the screen segments and the queue are way better than the props. It's crazy how realistic the movement feels especially when you realize what the the thing is actually doing.

MiddKid

I'm going to avoid my own biased history here and look at this through the eyes of my daughters who at the time of this story (August 2017) were 12, 10, and 7.

We started our trip with 2 nights at Universal Orlando. 2 Nights, 3 days with Universal Express thanks to staying at the Portofino. They all loved Wizarding World. We then knocked out the rest of the parks and by the end of day two all three commented "The other rides all feel the same, can we go to WDW now?" The third morning they simply requested to do Forbidden Journey again but then all three voted to leave early to go to WDW. Side note, my 7 year old DID love RipRideRocket but I'm thinking in retrospect this more due to the fact that it was her first "big" coaster.

I bring this up because after multiple days at WDW, the unanimous "favorite ride" for these girls was Flight of Passage. So while I think of it as follows:
  • Is it screens? Not entirely. Yes, they got bored of Universal's repetitive screen based rides but loved Flight of Passage...a screen based ride.
  • Is it IP? At first I was thinking that the IPs of King Kong, Transformers, Simpsons, MiB, etc didn't apply much to them (they haven't seen any of those movies) and while I think that's an issue, none of them have seen Avatar either. Yet minutes after riding my youngest was walking around with a Banshee on her shoulder.
So for me it comes back to a hybrid answer of...it's all about what you do with the IP and technology. For my girls Universal (outside of HP) felt like a constant barrage of let's throw 3D things in your face rides that they quickly tired of. We visited again this month and not one of them asked to go back to UO despite a deep love for HP.

Just sharing a perspective...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom