Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

FigmentJedi

Because the backstory on the Mickey ride is that you're going to a premier. That's what the signage shows, and it makes sense to me because there is a sign in the middle. I saw recently that they were putting hooks in the middle for sign prep.

I could be wrong, but I feel like they want to show what the building will look like in the concept art.
Except that's a direct lift from an old Mickey Mouse cartoon that took place at the Chinese Theater

Haymarket2008

Came across this new image.

Attachments

• 5A157005-5578-4959-92DF-BB6AA9BBEE6D.png
    5A157005-5578-4959-92DF-BB6AA9BBEE6D.png
    940.7 KB · Views: 426

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Not sure if I like the Runaway Railway typeface.

Given it some thought. Yep, still don't like it. I think it's a combination of a few things. Not enough exaggeration on the RR serif font to differentiate it from the M&M font. It's too matchy-matchy both in color and visual weight. I also think the word "railway" needs to be either larger or smaller so the sign has more of an asymmetrical design.

Would I nitpick such a thing? Of course! And what better place than on a forum where I can voice my opinion on something that displeases me! ;)

Attachments

• 1542560099751.png
    1542560099751.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Given it some thought. Yep, still don't like it. I think it's a combination of a few things. Not enough exaggeration on the RR serif font to differentiate it from the M&M font. It's too matchy-matchy both in color and visual weight. I also think the word "railway" needs to be either larger or smaller so the sign has more of an asymmetrical design.

Would I nitpick such a thing? Of course! And what better place than on a forum where I can voice my opinion on something that displeases me! ;)
I found it an odd choice too. That style of flare-serif lettering evokes more of an exotic Jungle Cruise / Tarzan vibe. It seems to be based on Spurred Egyptian from Letterhead Fonts (a go-to source for Disney).

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I found it an odd choice too. That style of flare-serif lettering evokes more of an exotic Jungle Cruise / Tarzan vibe. It seems to be based on Spurred Egyptian from Letterhead Fonts (a go-to source for Disney).

Agreed. I wonder if their original intent was to have a slab-serif font but everything kept coming up Rio Grande/Western Town-like and so they opted for this. I particularly dislike the tails on the R and the awkward As with the flair at the top instead of having the decorative element at the crossbar. I wonder if Letterhead Font's Elixir or something in that family would work for this purpose?

The ideal font is out there somewhere, likely slapped on a steamer trunk.

Last edited:

Rteetz

I know there was an event surrounding this ride at Destination D earlier, did any new info/images surface?
One posted above.

There was also info that the whistle from Steamboat Willie will be used in the train and that Imagineering used special paint that works in white and black light.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom