News Mickey and Minnie are not popular anymore

ImperfectPixie

Have you even heard of "The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show"?
The_Shnookums_and_Meat_Funny_Cartoon_Show.png

That's Disney real attempt at trying to be like that show. It's the only show from Disney that they refuse to bring up these days and never gained a video release.
The name doesn't ring a bell, but the characters look familiar somehow...

ImperfectPixie

My point is that there's a difference between saying "This show reminds me of Ren and Stimpy" and saying "It's the same crew as Ren and Stimpy" as if it was fact when "Spending lots of time working with Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken" is the main connecting thread between all the creative leads.
And I do call Ren and Stimpy pop culture shorthand because it was a trendsetter for 90s TV animation in various respects and inspired several imitators.
Pretty sure I didn't mention the creators at all?

Josh Hendy

... they're trying a new direction with Mickey and the gang, but they should have been original about it instead of reusing art and comedy styles that have already been way over-done in the last 25 years.
As corporations get bigger and bigger, the influence on the company of customers and smart, up-and-coming employees becomes weaker and weaker, and the influence of corporate hacks, beancounters, and the like becomes stronger and stronger. So you find that large companies can't do anything "creative" or new unless they use their financial clout to buy up small companies with original ideas.

ImperfectPixie

As corporations get bigger and bigger, the influence on the company of customers and smart, up-and-coming employees becomes weaker and weaker, and the influence of corporate hacks, beancounters, and the like becomes stronger and stronger. So you find that large companies can't do anything "creative" or new unless they use their financial clout to buy up small companies with original ideas.
TRUTH.

hapihart

While I don't agree with the part about Mickey and Minnie no longer being popular, I do agree that there are likely lots of things about modern day Disney that Walt would not be happy with.

OG Runner

This exact discussion, based on the same article is on the boards titled "Does Disney have a Mickey and Minnie problem."
Be logical, of course there is an increase in the sales of Frozen 2 merchandise, the movie came out less than 5 months ago
and was wildly popular. There is an increase in Star Wars merchandise for much the same reason, as well as, the opening
of Galaxy's Edge. The consumer only has so much to spend. It has nothing to do with how the current cartoon shorts are
drawn. Much of the Mickey & Minnie merchandise do not even reflect that animation style.

MinnieWaffles

No, that's just Ren and Stimpy being an easy pop-cultural shorthand for grossout material in cartoons. John K was all about trying to emulate Bob Clampett's detailed drawing style and occasional use of painted close-ups.
The Mickey shorts on the other hand are more of an effort to blend that UPA-inspired 90s Cartoon Network style with the 30s Mickey shorts and 90s Cartoon Network was certainly not a stranger to extreme cartoon violence.

I'd forgotten how often they kicked the snot out of Mojo Jojo. His BRAIN is exposed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom