News Mickey and Minnie are not popular anymore

TsWade2

One might see that as a way to bring Mickey and Minnie back to the spotlight.

Many are pointing out that then problem is that only kids seem to be attached to Mickey and Minnie, whereas (historically speaking) they are meant to be for all ages.
Yes they are for all ages.

John C. Shepherd

I will say this my youngest daughter said she is to young for Minnie Mouse, so she gave up her stuffed animals and Toys. She was a huge Minnie fan so it happens.

Tanna Eros

I knew about the Ren and Stimpy team but didn't know about the Homestar Runner team, that's pretty cool.
I love what Chris Diamantopoulos does. He's got that high trill, but can do so much with it using inflection and pronunciation.

Humor has changed. Red and Stimpy's animation stood out so much because of the contrast to the Hasbro/Kenner cartoons, where people stood and talked. At least the animators are no longer smooshed by the anvil that was Kricfalusi.

I have people over to the house so they can watch their shows on Disney+; there's nieces and nephews and cousins that can't get it.
(It did entail building a longer couch and some chairs). They enjoy the new Mickeys, but after watching that, they'll watch the old Mickeys to get a load of where some of the humor is coming from. Either way, the Originals have a new audience, and new collectors.

Last edited:

21stamps

clickbait article. Not true at all

Kids absolutely love the new style/show. And there’s plenty of the older style on Disney+ to keep boomers content.

Why does everyone forget about GenX?
Though you’re not the first, we’ve been dealing with this for our entire lives. 🤦‍♀️;)
Boomers aren’t the parents of young/younger children..

MagicHappens1971

I think Mickey and the fab 5 have a high likelihood of remaining trademarked; they have a compelling argument that the public associates those characters with the company. I do not think Disney will be as lucky with the feature animated classics.
All of the Disney characters are trademarked, the copyright protections are a separate issue

FigmentJedi

I knew about the Ren and Stimpy team but didn't know about the Homestar Runner team, that's pretty cool.
I don't get why people associate the new shorts with Ren and Stimpy when the showrunner Paul Rudish never even worked on that show and is best known for Dexter's Lab and the Powerpuff Girls.
In fact, Wander Over Yonder (created by PPG creator Craig McCracken) and Gravity Falls (Hirsch was a writer on Flapjack) were both byproducts of the Cartoon Network exodus that occurred after the CN Real incident.

Last edited:

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
I don't really like the new art style (I'm a millennial, if that even matters). My young kids love it though. They also love the older art style as well. I can see them being less popular when looking at the big picture but they're still iconic and will always be a main part of the parks.

ImperfectPixie

I don't get why people associate the new shorts with Ren and Stimpy when the showrunner Paul Rudish never even worked on that show and is best known for Dexter's Lab and the Powerpuff Girls.
In fact, Wander Over Yonder (created by PPG creator Craig McCracken) and Gravity Falls (Hirsch was a writer on Flapjack) were both byproducts of the Cartoon Network exodus that occurred after the CN Real incident.
The art style is very similar to old Ren and Stimpy. I used to watch back in the day.

FigmentJedi

The art style is very similar to old Ren and Stimpy. I used to watch back in the day.
No, that's just Ren and Stimpy being an easy pop-cultural shorthand for grossout material in cartoons. John K was all about trying to emulate Bob Clampett's detailed drawing style and occasional use of painted close-ups.
The Mickey shorts on the other hand are more of an effort to blend that UPA-inspired 90s Cartoon Network style with the 30s Mickey shorts and 90s Cartoon Network was certainly not a stranger to extreme cartoon violence.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

No, that's just Ren and Stimpy being an easy pop-cultural shorthand for grossout material in cartoons. John K was all about trying to emulate Bob Clampett's detailed drawing style and occasional use of painted close-ups.
The Mickey shorts on the other hand are more of an effort to blend that UPA-inspired 90s Cartoon Network style with the 30s Mickey shorts and 90s Cartoon Network was certainly not a stranger to extreme cartoon violence.

Dude...I have two sons. I used to watch Ren and Stimpy ALL THE TIME. I've seen Kick Buttowski, Gravity Falls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans GO, Phineas and Ferb, and countless other cartoons over the years - hell, I saw Beavis & Butthead at the Sick & Twisted Animation Festival before most people knew it even existed. There's a reason people are saying the new shorts are similar to Ren and Stimpy - BECAUSE THEY ARE. You can over-analyze it until you're blue in the face, but when Ren & Stimpy is the first thing many people think of the first time they see the new shorts, it means something and cannot be written off as "pop-cultural shorthand". I appreciate that they're trying a new direction with Mickey and the gang, but they should have been original about it instead of reusing art and comedy styles that have already been way over-done in the last 25 years.

FigmentJedi

Dude...I have two sons. I used to watch Ren and Stimpy ALL THE TIME. I've seen Kick Buttowski, Gravity Falls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans GO, Phineas and Ferb, and countless other cartoons over the years - hell, I saw Beavis & Butthead at the Sick & Twisted Animation Festival before most people knew it even existed. There's a reason people are saying the new shorts are similar to Ren and Stimpy - BECAUSE THEY ARE. You can over-analyze it until you're blue in the face, but when Ren & Stimpy is the first thing many people think of the first time they see the new shorts, it means something and cannot be written off as "pop-cultural shorthand". I appreciate that they're trying a new direction with Mickey and the gang, but they should have been original about it instead of reusing art and comedy styles that have already been way over-done in the last 25 years.
My point is that there's a difference between saying "This show reminds me of Ren and Stimpy" and saying "It's the same crew as Ren and Stimpy" as if it was fact when "Spending lots of time working with Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken" is the main connecting thread between all the creative leads.
And I do call Ren and Stimpy pop culture shorthand because it was a trendsetter for 90s TV animation in various respects and inspired several imitators.

brb1006

Have you even heard of "The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show"?
The_Shnookums_and_Meat_Funny_Cartoon_Show.png

That's Disney real attempt at trying to be like that show. It's the only show from Disney that they refuse to bring up these days and never gained a video release.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom