News Mickey and Minnie are not popular anymore

Kman101

With all the IP that Disney has purchased over the past 10 or so years, it looks like they have pushed two iconic characters to a secondary level when it comes to the importance of merchandising priority in the parks and in the stores. Take a few minutes to read this article.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/does-disney-have-a-mickey-and-minnie-problem-174201053.html
I'm not sure this would sit well with Walt.

(If this belongs in the general discussion area, I understand. I was back and forth on where to put it because it is news)

lol

That's so bizarre. I don't agree with it at all.

Mickey got *hours* worth of lines of people to see him in Tokyo before he switched faces.

The Mickey Mouse shorts are VERY popular, despite those who hate the animation form, the numbers speak for themselves.

I can kinda see why this would come up ... I think Goofy has plummeted a bit in popularity, personally.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A decline of sales does not equate to a loss of popularity.

If M&M sales went from $110,000,000 to $105,000,000, then that would be a "decrease in sales," but not one worth an article about that M&M are in a downward unpopularity spiral that the clickbait article is implying.

Sales for an IP just can't keep climbing year after year for ever. There will be some peaks and valleys. Perhaps interest in M&M is as strong as ever, but the interest in the other IPs that Disney has been cultivating is currently stronger?

The clickbait article surmises a scenario that is possible but not likely. The clickbait is trying to make us think that it's probable when there is zero proof that this quarter to quarter drop is a sign of significant drop in popularity of M&M.

Also... Yahoo Finance News.

Yahoo indeed.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It is a click-bait article because of the headline alone (which is what clickbait is)

Lower sales of their merch vs very popular other IP merch does not equate to a "problem"

I guess all those ears headbands came from Elsa's mouse ears?
So you answer the question in the negative. I still don’t see the issue with asking the question though... Maybe you could explain it to me.

WDWTank

With all the IP that Disney has purchased over the past 10 or so years, it looks like they have pushed two iconic characters to a secondary level when it comes to the importance of merchandising priority in the parks and in the stores. Take a few minutes to read this article.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/does-disney-have-a-mickey-and-minnie-problem-174201053.html

(If this belongs in the general discussion area, I understand. I was back and forth on where to put it because it is news)
Is this why we got the Mickey & Minnie ride? LOL

WDWTank

This doesn’t make any sense tbh. Mickey & Minnie are timeless :)

brb1006

It's because they spent years and years only marketing the Fab 5 to infants and toddlers. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was the only show Disney was producing involving the Fab 5 for YEARS. By the time a kid was 4 he/she thought Mickey was for babies because of this. They are only now starting to hold on to the kids as they age up. Hopefully they stick with it and make Mickey have longer lasting appeal.
I seriously wish the House Of Mouse would get a revival on Disney+ in the future. It was the only time the Fab 5 were aiming for all
audiences. Same with Mickey Mouse Works. Anything Mickey related has changed since the debut of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

ImperfectPixie

I seriously wish the House Of Mouse would get a revival on Disney+ in the future. It was the only time the Fab 5 were aiming for all
audiences. Same with Mickey Mouse Works. Anything Mickey related has changed since the debut of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
House of Mouse and the older cartoons and shorts have always been among my 8-year-old son's favorites. Mickey & the Beanstalk, The Prince & the Pauper, The Three Musketeers, Once and Twice Upon a Christmas...we own them all and they get watched regularly. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was way up there for a short time, but he started to outgrow it around the age of 4 or 5. He's shown zero interest in Mickey & the Roadster Racers (or whatever they renamed it to) since day 1. The new shorts he'll watch once in a great while, but he's not crazy about them enough to seek them out and really only watches if they just happen to be on.

brb1006

This.

Plus Disney has ebbed and flowed with how to treat Mickey Mouse for generations. It even goes back to Donald Duck, who in the early years was easier to write for because Mickey had become synonymous with good and thus bland. Mickey was meant to be the everyman character, which like Charlie Brown, made him relatable but also somewhat bland compared to the characters around him. Yes, in the earliest shorts he was mischievous, but as his popularity soared and he became more ubiquitous, the company knew that he had to be the good guy all the time. They didn't quite know how to write stories for him, but side characters like Donald Duck could be the "mischievous" character... and thus easier to write for.

It got even more difficult to write for him as he became a corporate symbol. As the company's mascot, the weight of being "good" or "inoffensive" became even stronger, while at the same time the company continued to put his face on all number of children's product and yet selling his t-shirt at the parks.

Even in the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club he was a mascot more than any other type of character. And through the years the company has put energy behind other iterations of Mickey that have ebbed and flowed, including Mousercize, Disco Mickey, Vinylmation, Mickey and the Beanstalk, Mickey's version of A Christmas Carol, Runaway Brain, and of course park appearances.

So, for generations the company has not known how to market Mickey Mouse, with the main "problem" being his own stature in balance as "everyman," childhood appeal, and corporate symbol. Truthfully, it takes both courage and someone to care about the character to do anything more with him... someone like Walt.
I remember the Epic Mickey series tried to go back to Mickey's mischievous roots. Even the original idea for the game was risky. At least one person who saw the early stages was upset about the way Mickey was portrayed. He or she said something about Don't Ruin My Childhood and resulted with the game toning down its darker elements.

At least we have the Floyd Gottfredson Mickey comics.

brb1006

House of Mouse and the older cartoons and shorts have always been among my 8-year-old son's favorites. Mickey & the Beanstalk, The Prince & the Pauper, The Three Musketeers, Once and Twice Upon a Christmas...we own them all and they get watched regularly. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was way up there for a short time, but he started to outgrow it around the age of 4 or 5. He's shown zero interest in Mickey & the Roadster Racers (or whatever they renamed it to) since day 1. The new shorts he'll watch once in a great while, but he's not crazy about them enough to seek them out and really only watches if they just happen to be on.
What about Runaway Brain?

deeevo

lol

That's so bizarre. I don't agree with it at all.

Mickey got *hours* worth of lines of people to see him in Tokyo before he switched faces.

The Mickey Mouse shorts are VERY popular, despite those who hate the animation form, the numbers speak for themselves.

I can kinda see why this would come up ... I think Goofy has plummeted a bit in popularity, personally.
I would agree. My 8 year old twins watched an hour of the shorts this morning on D+ before school.

brb1006

I don't remember that one?
I don't blame you, "Runaway Brain" was a 1995 animated short starring Mickey Mouse that had a darker tone. The short was shown before "A Kid In King Arthur's Court", Disney hardly brings this short up these days (besides Julius appearing in one of the Kingdom Hearts games). due to it's content. But it can currently be seen on "The Walt Disney Treasure Collection". This short also attempted to bring Mickey's original adventurous side back which Disney didn't revisit until Epic Mickey in 2010 .

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Well I have seen my fair share of adults walking around in ridiculous star wars attire and avatar birds on their shoulders. So they will definitely have that market.

ImperfectPixie

I don't blame you, "Runaway Brain" was a 1995 animated short starring Mickey Mouse that had a darker tone. The short was shown before "A Kid In King Arthur's Court". Disney hardly brings this short up these days (besides Julius appearing in one of the Kingdom Hearts games). due to it's content. But it can currently be seen on "The Walt Disney Treasure Collection". This short also attempted to bring Mickey's original adventurous side which Disney didn't revisit until Epic Mickey in 2010 .

HA! I'd never seen that one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom