Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Heppenheimer

Because I'm too lazy to look back through all the previous responses on this thread, a couple of questions.

1) Is this attraction still planned?

2) Where exactly in Toontown are they putting it? There was some minor construction going on when I last visited (was actually at Disneyland on the last day it was open), but it wasn't obvious where they would put the ride.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because I'm too lazy to look back through all the previous responses on this thread, a couple of questions.

1) Is this attraction still planned?

2) Where exactly in Toontown are they putting it? There was some minor construction going on when I last visited (was actually at Disneyland on the last day it was open), but it wasn't obvious where they would put the ride.

Yes and here...

The yellow box below represents the footprint of the GMR building minus the maintenance bay. The red is the size of the queue. Maintenance bay can be added at either end.

View attachment 491557

Phroobar

I so, you may not to watch this: ;)

Except in reality we would never get this attraction. Look at the scope and size of it. That show building must be the size of POTC! No way could that thing fit in Disneyland's Fantasyland even if it went in the old motor boat lagoon. It's a blue sky concept and not practical. The ending conflict makes no sense either. They introduce Ursula and her plan, then you get a shot of fish with no characters except the eels. Then Ursula starts causing storms followed by kiss the girl and a wedding. Those two scenes are completely unrelated. It is a lot of build up with a confused payoff.

Last edited:

BayouShack

BFEFC1C2-B580-443C-8189-F7685C6A7A3A.jpeg

2823C3DE-059E-4CBE-A851-E14B22FB8980.jpeg

The ride was to be quite compact thanks to its two stacked levels. There’s a bit of Indy in it too. You would’ve returned to the same room from a different perspective,. You’ll notice you’re “under water” to the Kiss the Girl scene at 2:20

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Except in reality we would never get this attraction. Look at the scope and size of it. That show building must be the size of POTC! No way could that thing fit in Disneyland's Fantasyland even if it went in the old motor boat lagoon. It's a blue sky concept and not practical.
Blue Sky and Concept Design are not done without any context. The expansion pad at Disneyland Paris is a known size, and it is not huge.

mickEblu

Except in reality we would never get this attraction. Look at the scope and size of it. That show building must be the size of POTC! No way could that thing fit in Disneyland's Fantasyland even if it went in the old motor boat lagoon. It's a blue sky concept and not practical. The ending conflict makes no sense either. They introduce Ursula and her plan, then you get a shot of fish with no characters except the eels. Then Ursula starts causing storms followed by kiss the girl and a wedding. Those two scenes are completely unrelated. It is a lot of build up with a confused payoff.

no it’s not perfect and of course it’s just a rough mock up. I was also a little confused by the flow of the scenes at the end but it’s still light years better than what we got. I don’t think it’s quite POTC scale. I would say 2/3 of POTC if not less. If it’s not practical it’s because they weren’t spending that money on a Mermaid IP based ride in 2012. With that said they could pull it off if they wanted to. They razed 14 acres for a mediocre Star Wars Land.

At the very least we can all agree that we should have got something better for 150 million or whatever it cost.

bshah365

Just came back from riding Runaway at DHS and it raised a lot of questions about Toontowns version.. I'm not sure if any of this has been talked about on here yet or not..

1. This ride is massive.. It requires a massive amount of outdoor queue space, indoor queue space, pre-show space, and of course the space to hold the attraction itself (especially w social distancing). I genuinely underestimated the size of the vehicles and show scenes.. each vehicle felt twice as large as Rise and each show scene needed to support 4 vehicles being able to dance in a single room... so the space to fit everything is HUGE... I don't see Disneyland's whole attraction experience looking the way DHS is...

Even looking at the link that shows DHS version on toontown, it doesn't even look like it fits in the construction frame.. and not to mention that the photo does not include the maintenance bay.

2. While I would hate to see it happen, my theory is that Disneyland's version won't have a pre-show... doesn't it seem redundant to have a pre-show that transports you into the cartoon world when you've already been walking around in the cartoon world in Toontown? The whole theme of Toontown is that you've been transported into the cartoons to witness wacky buildings/colors/characters etc. So why would we need to step into a screen to get on a ride?

Also, Toon has zero space for any large outdoor queue's.. DHS is using the entire Chinese theater courtyard and then some for their outdoor queue.... the entire queue I'm expecting would be inside which would mean the pre-show space would be needed for more switchbacks...

3. Where is the entrance facade going exactly? There was the original rumor that gag factory would become the entrance.. but I've heard that the store will actually be the exit gift shop for the attraction.. Are we going to lose the entire city hall/quick service locations?

If anybody has any answers/other ideas feel free to chime in

mickEblu

Just came back from riding Runaway at DHS and it raised a lot of questions about Toontowns version.. I'm not sure if any of this has been talked about on here yet or not..

1. This ride is massive.. It requires a massive amount of outdoor queue space, indoor queue space, pre-show space, and of course the space to hold the attraction itself (especially w social distancing). I genuinely underestimated the size of the vehicles and show scenes.. each vehicle felt twice as large as Rise and each show scene needed to support 4 vehicles being able to dance in a single room... so the space to fit everything is HUGE... I don't see Disneyland's whole attraction experience looking the way DHS is...

Even looking at the link that shows DHS version on toontown, it doesn't even look like it fits in the construction frame.. and not to mention that the photo does not include the maintenance bay.

2. While I would hate to see it happen, my theory is that Disneyland's version won't have a pre-show... doesn't it seem redundant to have a pre-show that transports you into the cartoon world when you've already been walking around in the cartoon world in Toontown? The whole theme of Toontown is that you've been transported into the cartoons to witness wacky buildings/colors/characters etc. So why would we need to step into a screen to get on a ride?

Also, Toon has zero space for any large outdoor queue's.. DHS is using the entire Chinese theater courtyard and then some for their outdoor queue.... the entire queue I'm expecting would be inside which would mean the pre-show space would be needed for more switchbacks...

3. Where is the entrance facade going exactly? There was the original rumor that gag factory would become the entrance.. but I've heard that the store will actually be the exit gift shop for the attraction.. Are we going to lose the entire city hall/quick service locations?

I’m just going to chime in on the pre show question. I think they should and will keep it as we are still entering a movie theatre facade. Meaning the attraction starts at a movie theatre. If the attraction was starting at a train station I’d agree. With that said, would I be completely shocked if modern Disney just eliminated it? No.

As far as the queue, looks like there is more than enough room on that huge plot they ve carved out. DLs might just have a larger indoor Q

BayouShack

the dimensions are different, but the Disneyland show building is substantially bigger—about 15,000 square feet bigger.

Brer Oswald

I'm just going to leave this right here:

I wonder if these will be longer shorts (7 minutes), or the same size (which is question the purpose of the rebranding).

The picture they provided is also interesting. Mickey and Minnie dresses up in a Western Town? Could this be an adaptation of Mickey’s first comic “Race to Death Valley”? Perhaps not, but it would surely be interesting.

Brer Oswald

Apparently they are seven minutes (just like the original cartoons). And they seem to be packaged in two like several cartoon TV shows are.

Great day to be a Mickey Mouse fan!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom