Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Disney Analyst

Oh great, sounds like you know the answer to the question, what is it?

Minnie Mouse is a nearly 95 year old character with exceptionally well established character and personality traits. Is there precedent for her kicking small animals or is this a new character dynamic in this new version?

Minnie is a cartoon character, who has broken into song and is not paying attention to anything. She then does a dance spin and accidentally kicks Pluto into the trunk. It’s not insidious or purposeful.

It’s humour. It’s harmless. It’s a mistake. It’s perfectly in line (in my opinion) with a cartoon world, and the slapstick nature of the newer Mickey cartoons.

You may not enjoy the style, and that’s fine. But it’s a particularly huge leap to go from what actually happens in the pre-show… to animal abuse.

You should watch the one where Mickey has abandoned Pluto in the jungle backyard to fend for himself…

CaptainAmerica

MMRR isn't at DCA, but if you're saying the ride has the capacity to carry everybody in a single opportunity day, then that only strengthens my belief that it should be a standby line rather than a VQ.
A standby line allows people to get back in line and ride multiple times in one day, which is the last thing you want from a "give everyone a chance to experience the new thing for the sake of equity" standpoint.

el_super

There's no queue system on the planet in which you come strolling into the park at 10:30 and wait a reasonable amount of time for a ride that popular.

Sure there is: you just need to charge enough money for it. New attraction with ireased demand? Raise the price! That's what Walt would have done. If he were still around I'm sure we would be on "L" or "M" tickets by now.

I'd rather wait 5 hours and get on a ride I'm paying $120+ to experience than not ride it at all.

So how much is 5 hours of time worth to you? If you pay $120 to get into the park for 12 hours, that one ride is now worth $50.

If they charged that much per ride, problem solved right?

CaptinEO

You seem to not understand human behavior.

Pretend Cosmic Rewind was standby-only. No lightning lanes, and no virtual queues.

You'd have to be up and physically IN LINE waiting to get into Epcot way before 7am, and you'd likely be standing in that line for multiple hours.

There's no queue system on the planet in which you come strolling into the park at 10:30 and wait a reasonable amount of time for a ride that popular.
I prefer the system of lining up in person vs gambling on a phone lotto. It follows the rules of first come first serve and supply and demand, which will naturally wind down as time goes on. (I also like rope dropping the parks personally).

Epcot was opening at 9 on these days I got the VQ at 7. It just seems so silly.

The worst was Rise of the Resistance where you had to be inside Disneyland with your ticket scanned before its opening time to get a chance to go on the ride.

It would take me an hour to get from the parking lot to the gates. So you'd wake up early AND play the lottery game.

It's crazy how Disney won't let people wait in long lines. Let people decide if they want to wait or not.

Like all rides they can cap the line entry near closing and keep it running to cycle the last remaining people through.

I remember people were waiting 5 hours for the Finding Nemo subs, I didn't care to do so and waited til I went the next year. But those who wanted to wait 5 hours could.

celluloid

I prefer the system of lining up in person vs gambling on a phone lotto. It follows the rules of first come first serve and supply and demand, which will naturally wind down as time goes on. (I also like rope dropping the parks personally).

The worst was Rise of the Resistance where you had to be inside Disneyland with your ticket scanned before its opening time to get a chance to go on the ride.

It would take me an hour to get from the parking lot to the gates. So you'd wake up early AND play the lottery game.

It's crazy how Disney won't let people wait in long lines. Let people decide if they want to wait or not.

Like all rides they can cap the line entry near closing and keep it running to cycle the last remaining people through.

I remember people were waiting 5 hours for the Finding Nemo subs, I didn't care to do so and waited til I went the next year. But those who wanted to wait 5 hours could.

And it helps the consumer who do not care to.

Those people waiting five hours were not making Disney as much money, that is the issue.

Some low-capacity new ride can have a line of people that leave the other lines a bit less for me everywhere else. That is not the case anymore.

Also, with the ratio for LL vs not, let's not pretend that all attractions have the demand of arriving at 6am to the parks. There is a created scarcity at play.

CaptainAmerica

Good lord, you talk about three taps on your phone at 7am like you're being asked to storm Normandy beach.

When Epcot is opening at 9, you need to be in line to get into Epcot long before 9... like at 7.

Phroobar

MMRR top capacity is about 2,400 pph. So, you're wish is granted, Disney built a high capacity ride!

Also, Cosmic Rewind is about 2,000.

Ratatouille is about 2,200.

Are you happy now?
No! I am not. Those are are very low. Pirates has 3430, Small World has 3300. Haunted Mansion has 2600. Even Adventure thru inner space, America Sings and the People Mover had more capacity. MMRR top capacity of 2400 sucks.

el_super

Is it? I remember waiting 3 hours for Indy and about 3 Hours for Rocket Rods (LOL I know) and you couldn't convince me to ever do that again. I do remember these experiences quite well

It is downright unsafe to have people running through the park at rope drop trying to get in line. It's unsafe to have people standing in the sun for hours. It's unsafe to have people not have access to water or bathrooms for an extended period of time. If you let people in and out of line frequently enough you risk altercations between guests.

And for all that risk and time and effort there is still no guarantee that anyone will get in.

It's crazy to think people actually want to go back to that.

Californian Elitist

It is downright unsafe to have people running through the park at rope drop trying to get in line. It's unsafe to have people standing in the sun for hours. It's unsafe to have people not have access to water or bathrooms for an extended period of time. If you let people in and out of line frequently enough you risk altercations between guests.
If people can’t manage and take care of themselves, then they shouldn’t be going to theme parks.

CaptinEO

Good lord, you talk about three taps on your phone at 7am like you're being asked to storm Normandy beach.

When Epcot is opening at 9, you need to be in line to get into Epcot long before 9... like at 7.
The phone tap isnt the issue, its the idea that this multi billion dollar company can only think of a system that makes their guests have to go through extra steps before they even enter the gates just to go on a ride.

When Epcot opens at 9 I'd typically be on the skyliner around 810 and get there 10-15 minutes later in time for 30 minute early entry.

Now I have to stress out in the morning as I'm getting ready, especially because I'm not a local and it's not like I was going to be back any time soon.

Now every family that's getting ready and trying to get dressed and eat breakfast has to camp out refreshing their phone every second. Talk about premium customer service.

MagicHappens1971

The phone tap isnt the issue, its the idea that this multi billion dollar company can only think of a system that makes their guests have to go through extra steps before they even enter the gates just to go on a ride.

When Epcot opens at 9 I'd typically be on the skyliner around 810 and get there 10-15 minutes later in time for 30 minute early entry.

Now I have to stress out in the morning as I'm getting ready, especially because I'm not a local and it's not like I was going to be back any time soon.
Everyone’s different, and you’ll never please everyone. For me, I don’t like to rope drop and will almost never been in the parks prior to 10am at the earliest. I’d rather wake up at 6:55am, click a few buttons @7am and go back to bed. By the time I get up, dressed and to the park it’s almost time for my boarding group.

Consumer

So how much is 5 hours of time worth to you? If you pay $120 to get into the park for 12 hours, that one ride is now worth $50.

If they charged that much per ride, problem solved right?
$50 of my $120, not $120 plus $50. Huge difference between those two.

I get the impression that everybody defending VQ and LL does not understand the rarity to which some people go to Disneyland.

celluloid

I get the impression that everybody defending VQ and LL does not understand the rarity to which some people go to Disneyland.

Particularly alone. You have a family and that price to LL one ride adds up rather quickly.

Its too back to the ticketing system per ride for me.

CaptainAmerica

Money is fungible.

Option 1: Spend $120, check in on your phone in the morning, ride the ride in 45 minutes, have 11 hours to do other stuff.
Option 2: Spend $135, check in on your phone in the morning, ride the ride in 5 minutes, have 12 hours to do other stuff.
Option 3: Spend $120, stand in line for four hours, have 8 hours to do other stuff.

I genuinely can't wrap my head around the idea that anyone thinks Option 3 is anything other than the worst possible choice.

And just to be extremely clear, I loathe individual lightning lanes. I will never buy one. I would just as soon take Option 4: No ride is worth $20 nor is any ride worth any more than 1 hour of wait time.

celluloid

Money is fungible.

Option 1: Spend $120, check in on your phone in the morning, ride the ride in 45 minutes, have 11 hours to do other stuff.
Option 2: Spend $135, check in on your phone in the morning, ride the ride in 5 minutes, have 12 hours to do other stuff.
Option 3: Spend $120, stand in line for four hours, have 8 hours to do other stuff.
I think it is funny that you think any ride opens with a four hour wait in the morning very frequently. They are not all that big of draws.

They are not all Galaxy's Edge or Hagrid's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom