• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

BrianLo

I'm usually the supreme negative clone person.

This doesn't bother me though. I don't think it's Disneyland favouritism. I think it just feels like a Mickey ride should be more widespread amongst the resorts. Just like the train. It feels like more of a staple that they are 60-odd years late getting to.

I also helps when it doesn't feel shoehorned. DL has a perfect spot that feels organic for it and legitimizes a land I previously thought needed to be ripped out.

What I don't like though is that DHS has gone through a "massive overhaul" and the only thing it really gained on DL was Toy Story Playland (but also lost GMR and more throwaway stuff like the Backlot Tour and LMA)... Meanwhile DL got SW:GE AND MMRR - cutting almost nothing to do so.

DHS should have gotten their third phase or the extra Star Wars attraction. Controversially I don't think DL needed a third attraction, I think two was perfect for that park.

shortstop

Advertisement
What I don't like though is that DHS has gone through a "massive overhaul" and the only thing it really gained on DL was Toy Story Playland (but also lost GMR and more throwaway stuff like the Backlot Tour and LMA)... Meanwhile DL got SW:GE AND MMRR - cutting almost nothing to do so.
This. It’s disappointing that after tearing up half the park, DHS will have gained only 1 unique ride when all is said in done (if you view A.S.S. as a Mater’s clone).

This is another downside of clones - as a Westcoaster who visits WDW only every few years, DHS 2021 will only be mildly more interesting than DHS 2016 was. DHS will never develop its own identity if it remains a copy & paste hodgepodge of clones from other resorts.

mickEblu

This. It’s disappointing that after tearing up half the park, DHS will have gained only 1 unique ride when all is said in done (if you view A.S.S. as a Mater’s clone).

This is another downside of clones - as a Westcoaster who visits WDW only every few years, DHS 2021 will only be mildly more interesting than DHS 2016 was. DHS will never develop its own identity if it remains a copy & paste hodgepodge of clones from other resorts.
But... they still have the original TOT. And they may be getting an Indiana Jones ride/ land?

Thank you for this btw. Earlier today I was trying to think which Disneyland ride acronym was the most ridiculous and I couldn’t think of it.

Definitely ***.

EDIT: A.S.S

You gotta wonder if the imagineers did that on purpose just so we have to put periods between the letters of the acronym so we can get arthritis faster due to typing more letters as payback for always critiquing their work.

mickEblu

This doesn't bother me though. I don't think it's Disneyland favouritism. I think it just feels like a Mickey ride should be more widespread amongst the resorts. Just like the train. It feels like more of a staple that they are 60-odd years late getting to.

I also helps when it doesn't feel shoehorned. DL has a perfect spot that feels organic for it and legitimizes a land I previously thought needed to be ripped out.

DHS should have gotten their third phase or the extra Star Wars attraction. Controversially I don't think DL needed a third attraction, I think two was perfect for that park.

I’m with you until the last paragraph. How could a third attraction for SWL at DL hurt?

vj81995

almost nothing? ALMOST NOTHING?! Di$$$$$ney NEUTERS Walt's River™, the eighth wonder of the world, the river Walt personally looked at with his own two eyes, the greatest addition to Disneyland in 65 years, and you have the NERVE to say ALMOST NOTHING?!

shame on you, sir.

Disney Irish Bruh

almost nothing? ALMOST NOTHING?! Di$$$$$ney NEUTERS Walt's River™, the eighth wonder of the world, the river Walt personally looked at with his own two eyes, the greatest addition to Disneyland in 65 years, and you have the NERVE to say ALMOST NOTHING?!

shame on you, sir.
And don't forget the BBQ and petting zoo, the best BBQ and petting zoo in all the land....

1LE McQueen

Definitely going a little "off the rails" here with this post in relation to relevancy... lol get it.

I liked Toy Story Land quite a bit when I went to WDW, and that was probably one of the bigger surprises of my trip. I'm sure SW:GE will be an absolute beast of a land. DHS is definitely going in the right direction IMO.

I'm not going to pretend to know about the contract between Turner and Disney (like so many social media idio... "experts", claimed the contract with CBS was up so Disney had to do Mission Breakout). But I do think it might've been dated. I don't know, I don't have an attachment to it nor do I remember the ride. I just hope MMRR is a great attraction at WDW, and it reflects when they bring it over to DL.

Disney Irish Bruh

Definitely going a little "off the rails" here with this post in relation to relevancy... lol get it.

I liked Toy Story Land quite a bit when I went to WDW, and that was probably one of the bigger surprises of my trip. I'm sure SW:GE will be an absolute beast of a land. DHS is definitely going in the right direction IMO.

I'm not going to pretend to know about the contract between Turner and Disney (like so many social media idio... "experts", claimed the contract with CBS was up so Disney had to do Mission Breakout). But I do think it might've been dated. I don't know, I don't have an attachment to it nor do I remember the ride. I just hope MMRR is a great attraction at WDW, and it reflects when they bring it over to DL.
I'm no expert, but I have a feeling Disney asked TCM for money to update GMR, TCM said no, so Disney axed it and turned it into MMRR.

Ismael Flores

I think the reason that the WDW fans are upset is because they lost GMR, but at least they were getting another unique attraction out of it. Now that MMRR is coming to Disneyland (and possibly DLP?) they probably feel angry that they lost a unique attraction for it to be replaced with a ride that can be seen elsewhere.

Personally I'm excited that Runaway Railway is coming to Anaheim. It looks terrific.
makes you wonder how many of those that are upset actually helped the attractions numbers by actually riding GMR.

when the country Bears were going to close hundreds showed up days before to fill up the queue to try and save the attraction but most never cared to keep the attraction alive by going to it previous to the closing announcement.

BasiltheBatLord

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling Disney asked TCM for money to update GMR, TCM said no, so Disney axed it and turned it into MMRR.
The "official" word from insiders on the WDW forum is that it was a combination of GMR doing badly in guest satisfaction surveys and the attraction being expensive to maintain (If I remember right, the fuel for the fire in the western scene was a major expense)

fctiger

The "official" word from insiders on the WDW forum is that it was a combination of GMR doing badly in guest satisfaction surveys and the attraction being expensive to maintain (If I remember right, the fuel for the fire in the western scene was a major expense)
Not surprised. Last time I was at WDW was over a decade ago and even then the ride was feeling a bit dated. It was still a great ride but I can't imagine the upkeep with it and the movie scenes themselves probably didn't appeal to a lot of younger people. They are classic films, but probably gets less seen with every new generation. It was still a must see for me but I think MMRR will be a big hit with both young and old.

Disney Irish Bruh

And that maybe the partial or even the full explanation. However if it was the only reason there are much more expensive attractions out there to maintain (maybe not at DHS but certainly at other Disney Parks) that should be eliminated. The one on the top of my mind is Subs at DL. I have a feeling its one of the more (if not the most) expensive attractions to maintain of all Disney Parks around the world.

mickEblu

And that maybe the partial or even the full explanation. However if it was the only reason there are much more expensive attractions out there to maintain (maybe not at DHS but certainly at other Disney Parks) that should be eliminated. The one on the top of my mind is Subs at DL. I have a feeling its one of the more (if not the most) expensive attractions to maintain of all Disney Parks around the world.
And it’s also one of the worst. Go figure.

Top Bottom