Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I'm usually the supreme negative clone person.

This doesn't bother me though. I don't think it's Disneyland favouritism. I think it just feels like a Mickey ride should be more widespread amongst the resorts. Just like the train. It feels like more of a staple that they are 60-odd years late getting to.

I also helps when it doesn't feel shoehorned. DL has a perfect spot that feels organic for it and legitimizes a land I previously thought needed to be ripped out.

What I don't like though is that DHS has gone through a "massive overhaul" and the only thing it really gained on DL was Toy Story Playland (but also lost GMR and more throwaway stuff like the Backlot Tour and LMA)... Meanwhile DL got SW:GE AND MMRR - cutting almost nothing to do so.

DHS should have gotten their third phase or the extra Star Wars attraction. Controversially I don't think DL needed a third attraction, I think two was perfect for that park.

Definitely going a little "off the rails" here with this post in relation to relevancy... lol get it.

I liked Toy Story Land quite a bit when I went to WDW, and that was probably one of the bigger surprises of my trip. I'm sure SW:GE will be an absolute beast of a land. DHS is definitely going in the right direction IMO.

I'm not going to pretend to know about the contract between Turner and Disney (like so many social media idio... "experts", claimed the contract with CBS was up so Disney had to do Mission Breakout). But I do think it might've been dated. I don't know, I don't have an attachment to it nor do I remember the ride. I just hope MMRR is a great attraction at WDW, and it reflects when they bring it over to DL.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Definitely going a little "off the rails" here with this post in relation to relevancy... lol get it.

I liked Toy Story Land quite a bit when I went to WDW, and that was probably one of the bigger surprises of my trip. I'm sure SW:GE will be an absolute beast of a land. DHS is definitely going in the right direction IMO.

I'm not going to pretend to know about the contract between Turner and Disney (like so many social media idio... "experts", claimed the contract with CBS was up so Disney had to do Mission Breakout). But I do think it might've been dated. I don't know, I don't have an attachment to it nor do I remember the ride. I just hope MMRR is a great attraction at WDW, and it reflects when they bring it over to DL.

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling Disney asked TCM for money to update GMR, TCM said no, so Disney axed it and turned it into MMRR.

Ismael Flores

I think the reason that the WDW fans are upset is because they lost GMR, but at least they were getting another unique attraction out of it. Now that MMRR is coming to Disneyland (and possibly DLP?) they probably feel angry that they lost a unique attraction for it to be replaced with a ride that can be seen elsewhere.

Personally I'm excited that Runaway Railway is coming to Anaheim. It looks terrific.

makes you wonder how many of those that are upset actually helped the attractions numbers by actually riding GMR.

when the country Bears were going to close hundreds showed up days before to fill up the queue to try and save the attraction but most never cared to keep the attraction alive by going to it previous to the closing announcement.

BasiltheBatLord

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling Disney asked TCM for money to update GMR, TCM said no, so Disney axed it and turned it into MMRR.
The "official" word from insiders on the WDW forum is that it was a combination of GMR doing badly in guest satisfaction surveys and the attraction being expensive to maintain (If I remember right, the fuel for the fire in the western scene was a major expense)

fctiger

The "official" word from insiders on the WDW forum is that it was a combination of GMR doing badly in guest satisfaction surveys and the attraction being expensive to maintain (If I remember right, the fuel for the fire in the western scene was a major expense)

Not surprised. Last time I was at WDW was over a decade ago and even then the ride was feeling a bit dated. It was still a great ride but I can't imagine the upkeep with it and the movie scenes themselves probably didn't appeal to a lot of younger people. They are classic films, but probably gets less seen with every new generation. It was still a must see for me but I think MMRR will be a big hit with both young and old.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

And that maybe the partial or even the full explanation. However if it was the only reason there are much more expensive attractions out there to maintain (maybe not at DHS but certainly at other Disney Parks) that should be eliminated. The one on the top of my mind is Subs at DL. I have a feeling its one of the more (if not the most) expensive attractions to maintain of all Disney Parks around the world.

mickEblu

And that maybe the partial or even the full explanation. However if it was the only reason there are much more expensive attractions out there to maintain (maybe not at DHS but certainly at other Disney Parks) that should be eliminated. The one on the top of my mind is Subs at DL. I have a feeling its one of the more (if not the most) expensive attractions to maintain of all Disney Parks around the world.

And it’s also one of the worst. Go figure.

BrianLo

almost nothing? ALMOST NOTHING?! Di$$$$$ney NEUTERS Walt's River™, the eighth wonder of the world, the river Walt personally looked at with his own two eyes, the greatest addition to Disneyland in 65 years, and you have the NERVE to say ALMOST NOTHING?!

shame on you, sir.

True, I should have added that to the list of things DL gained on DHS. A better river. ;)

BrianLo

By all means, DHS is MUCH Better. It's just that if you consider Disneyland the best (or amongst if TDS floats your boat) and DHS the worst (or amongst if the tacky look of WDS brings you down)... then it's kind of like both goalposts shifted the same, but the gap really didn't change at all.

What did change is the lowest goalpost suddenly caught up to a few other parks.

I actually think what happened is they were like "oh shoot, now Epcot's the worst..." and thus the 2021 project funds for DHS' third land were diverted.

If Disney comes around swinging with another big round of projects from 2022-2025 for WDW, then I really won't complain whatsoever. Epcot truly did need the help.

mickEblu

It doesn't hurt so much as it wasn't a necessity from the overall picture. Disneyland isn't really desperate for attraction count in the same way as DHS. It's more desperate for physical space.

No it defintley doesn’t need attractions as bad as DHS but it does need capacity in the form of people eaters and some sort of overhead Bantha Mover that doesn’t take a lot of space could have fit the bill.

mickEblu

I'm still waiting for someone to say exactly what that was. I still don't understand how a ride based off of an elephant in an overcoat could be done in any feasible manner.

Me neither but it’s intrguing. I’m imagining some hollowed out Snuffaluffagus’ that move their head and open their eyes on a moving overhead sidewalk on a mountain bank.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I kinda assume it was a Bantha cart ride on a track. So think a Peoplemover style car connected to a Bantha AA.

But, again: Bantha's are huge. Literally elephant sized huge. And slow. How would that even fit in the land? How would that have a PPH that got over 400 PPH? We're talking something similar to a horse-drawn Main Street carriage ride as a feasible third ride for a land.

I understand the theme and concept, but how could it even be remotely feasible in practice? It just seems like the kind of impractical pie-in-the-sky ideas that pop up with armchair imagineers.

mickEblu

But, again: Bantha's are huge. Literally elephant sized huge. And slow. How would that even fit in the land? How would that have a PPH that got over 400 PPH? We're talking something similar to a horse-drawn Main Street carriage ride as a feasible third ride for a land.

I understand the theme and concept, but how could it even be remotely feasible in practice? It just seems like the kind of impractical pie-in-the-sky ideas that pop up with armchair imagineers.

Well it would have been incorporated into the design of the land. You can’t look at the finished product we have now and try to fit it in. They could have made the AAs smaller. They change whatever they have to make it work operationally.

I think the biggest question is would they stick out like a sore thumb in a land that’s trying to be super immersive and believable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom