Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Figments Friend

The weird thing with Indy as it is now is that you can ride it multiple times in a day and sometimes the ride can be extreme or sometimes extremely boring. I notice usually if it breaks down in line, that I am more likely to get a faster ride once it's back up.

Not weird at all, as one of the features of the Attraction since it opened was that the ride vehicles were programmed to respond randomly.
So it was designed to insure that no two ride through experiences were exactly the same.
The vehicle would react slightly differently each time that you rode through.

At least that was a feature that was heavily promoted in the early marketing of the Attraction, which stressed the re-rideability.
When the vehicle programming was changed some years ago, that feature may have also been diminished.

From the many times I have experienced 'Indiana Jones Adventure' over the last few years, I would say most of the time the Troop Transports would 'react' and move pretty much the same during each ride through.
A few little differences here and there, but those tended to be more for operational reasons ( scenes resetting, 'stalls' before the Boulder Room, etc. ).
The major differences in the overall thrill factor tended to change more based on where you were seated.

Best seat by the way - the vehicle programmers seat (back row, extreme right side corner when seated in row ).
Always a very wild ride!
Request the last row, seat 1.
;)

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I think it was better before. I just remember it feeing a little more thrilling. But maybe that also has to do with how young I was when it opened, all the effects working properly and just the awe I was in because it was new and we had never seen anything like it. These days it sometimes feels like a tease. I want it to throw me around a little more and go like 10mph faster in certain areas.

It did 'throw you around' quite a bit back during that first year of operation.
But that was seen as a 'problem' by some and the request was made to take it down a notch or two.

It can still be a pretty wild ride where you literally have to hang on tight.
Sit in the back row next time, in either corner seat.
You can request a specific seat from the CM on the loading platform.
And do hang on....it can get pretty crazy back there.

Dang....all this talk about this makes me now wanna ride 'Indy'.
I rode 'Dinosaur' last week but that just made me miss 'Indy' and Disneyland more.
I like 'Dinosaur'...but nothing can compare to the 'Tony's Temple of Wonders' at Disneyland.
( aka - 'Indiana Jones Adventure' )

-

SplashGhost

The nostalgia for January and February is real, very real. Not even for Disneyland- but for my own personal life and work and opportunities that are no longer available for me due to covid. It almost feels as if the world is on pause.

Not to mention- if they don't delay the Splash changes and insist on closing the attraction on whatever internal date they have set than I worry the longer Disneyland is closed the less time we'll all have to get in as many last rides as possible.

I'm nostalgic for January and February for other reasons also. We are close to 7 months since everything came to a pause, and it is really starting to wear on me. This extended stagnation isn't good for people's mental and physical health.

And I'm worried about not getting much time for Splash rides also. Of course, with all the recent cuts, the project could have been deleted indefinitely or quietly cancelled for all we know. I've mentioned this before, but I don't know how they could justify it as a priority when they are trying to save money pretty much everyway they can. If it is cancelled, they just probably won't mention it again for a long time to avoid any backlash from DisTwitter.

It did 'throw you around' quite a bit back during that first year of operation.
But that was seen as a 'problem' by some and the request was made to take it down a notch or two.

It can still be a pretty wild ride where you literally have to hang on tight.
Sit in the back row next time, in either corner seat.
You can request a specific seat from the CM on the loading platform.
And do hang on....it can get pretty crazy back there.

Dang....all this talk about this makes me now wanna ride 'Indy'.
I rode 'Dinosaur' last week but that just made me miss 'Indy' and Disneyland more.
I like 'Dinosaur'...but nothing can compare to the 'Tony's Temple of Wonders' at Disneyland.
( aka - 'Indiana Jones Adventure' )

-

I agree that the edge seats on the back row of Indy will give an extremely wild ride. I am curious how much more wild the attraction was when it first opened compared to how it currently feels in those seats.

There is some variance in how wild each ride on Indy is, but the main factor seems to be what seat you are sitting in.

Brer Oswald

I'm nostalgic for January and February for other reasons also. We are close to 7 months since everything came to a pause, and it is really starting to wear on me. This extended stagnation isn't good for people's mental and physical health.

And I'm worried about not getting much time for Splash rides also. Of course, with all the recent cuts, the project could have been deleted indefinitely or quietly cancelled for all we know. I've mentioned this before, but I don't know how they could justify it as a priority when they are trying to save money pretty much everyway they can. If it is cancelled, they just probably won't mention it again for a long time to avoid any backlash from DisTwitter.

I agree that the edge seats on the back row of Indy will give an extremely wild ride. I am curious how much more wild the attraction was when it first opened compared to how it currently feels in those seats.

There is some variance in how wild each ride on Indy is, but the main factor seems to be what seat you are sitting in.
If they need to prevent any backlash from DisTwitter, they could always put BrerCountry and I on the clock. We know those clowns! We can remind them what a miserable hypocritical lot they are!

George Lucas on a Bench

That Splash Mt redo should certainly be canceled for a variety of reasons including the fact that these parks are bleeding money and absolutely no additional funds should be allotted to them aside from what is required for upkeep with minimal staff so the place doesn't resemble Nara Dreamland. This is one case where Cheapek should get his way. Cancel Splash Mt redo.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That Splash Mt redo should certainly be canceled for a variety of reasons including the fact that these parks are bleeding money and absolutely no additional funds should be allotted to them aside from what is required for upkeep with minimal staff so the place doesn't resemble Nara Dreamland. This is one case where Cheapek should get his way. Cancel Splash Mt redo.
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

SplashGhost

If they need to prevent any backlash from DisTwitter, they could always put BrerCountry and I on the clock. We know those clowns! We can remind them what a miserable hypocritical lot they are!

I pretty much left DisTwitter this year because I couldn't take it anymore. I am all for someone showing them how hypocritical they are.

I agree, for once, maybe Cheapek's budget cuts will save something instead of destroy it.

SevenSevens

I suspect the internal logic is the opposite of this. The Splash Mountain retheme is likely something that can be done on the cheap, while allowing Disney to market it as a whole new attraction to get out of towners in.

mickEblu

I'm in full agreement. While I'd say Indy is more impressive from a design standpoint, there's something about Dinosaur that just makes it more fun.

I’ve never been on Dinosaur or seen a ride through but something tells me I’d agree with this from what I’ve heard. If it’s darker and more thrilling that would make it more fun and repeatable for me. Even If Indy is technically the better attraction overall.

Brer Oswald

I’ve never been on Dinosaur or seen a ride through but something tells me I’d agree with this from what I’ve heard. If it’s darker and more thrilling that would make it more fun and repeatable for me. Even If Indy is technically the better attraction overall.
The two Carnatorus animatronics are really something to me. They really make the “chase sequence” feel realistic while only working with an animatronic that slightly walks forward, darkness, and dynamic sound.

When rumours were saying it was being replaced with Indy, I was disappointed.

mickEblu

The two Carnatorus animatronics are really something to me. They really make the “chase sequence” feel realistic while only working with an animatronic that slightly walks forward, darkness, and dynamic sound.

When rumours were saying it was being replaced with Indy, I was disappointed.

I could see why you wouldn’t want it removed since you enjoy it and is what you are familiar with. If I was opening a brand new theme park I would definitely choose Indy over Dinosaur. I would just make sure the ride experience was less tame.

PizzaPlanet

Yep, the darkness helps and so does the narration which gives you a sense that you're running out of time before the meteor hits. It's definitely more of an adrenaline rush.

George Lucas on a Bench

The original version actually had a big asteroid ball in the place of the IJ ball.

What I find clever about Dinosour is that I believe it is the exact same layout as IJ, so they just re-jiggered it to have dinos and such. There are also many underrated effects such as the chasing dino, dinos jumping over the car, flying pterodactyl and charming meteor shower lights. Maybe these things don't work anymore, but I thought it was great.

180º

The original version actually had a big asteroid ball in the place of the IJ ball.

What I find clever about Dinosour is that I believe it is the exact same layout as IJ, so they just re-jiggered it to have dinos and such. There are also many underrated effects such as the chasing dino, dinos jumping over the car, flying pterodactyl and charming meteor shower lights. Maybe these things don't work anymore, but I thought it was great.
The long-broken mechanical dinos jumping over the car have been swapped for projections, and the pterodactyl is stationary, but the chasing dino remains one of the coolest and scariest things ever.

mickEblu

I think the reason that rides like Indy and ROTR don’t work for me as well as they do for others is because of the disconnect between what we re seeing/ hearing and the thrill level of the attraction. Even though the Jeep and transport in ROTR are more or less moving and behaving like they would in those situations I feel that what they need to be matching is the intensity of the stimulus around us. We re hearing all the epic music, seeing explosions and dodging darts but moving at pretty pedestrian speeds. Even when we suspend disbelief deep down we know the giant snake or AT-ATs aren’t real (especially when they re static) but you can’t fake speed or movement. Of course of the two, ROTR is much more of an offender. So for me it’s give it to me hot or give it to me cold. Give me the coaster or give me the likes of POTC or HM where my expectations are met and I don’t feel that disconnect or tease if you will.

The earlier rides were very focused experiences. As technology grew so did the imagineers need/ desire to combine different elements to go bigger/ bolder and impress us. My take however is that the newer attractions just kind of end up in this gray area. Not fully fleshed out dark rides like POTC and HM and not pure fun coasters like Space and BTMRR.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
I'm in full agreement. While I'd say Indy is more impressive from a design standpoint, there's something about Dinosaur that just makes it more fun.
I agree! I appreciate the queue in Indy more than the ride itself. I thought I was the only weirdo who preferred Dinosaur. Now I no longer feel alone.

PRazpuP.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom