News Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party 2018

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How has attendance been recently? I’m going tonight, and I’m just curious about crowd levels.

I thought it was crowded two weeks ago (for shows, not rides). I've seen people say way too overcrowded and backed-up for rides. I've seen people say rides were a walk-on. So... dunno.

But, I will say that Hocus Pocus is really popular now. The first year it debuted, the area in front of the castle was only half-full for the last two shows. Now... every show is packed, even the midnight one.

If you're doing shows, get there early. (We pick up food, inflate our pillows, and do a little picnic waiting for parades, fireworks, and shows.)

Compared to HEA, I'm now severely disappointed in Hallowishes. Probably won't make the effort to see that again until they update it. The music is just... so 80's pop. Bleh. And compared to HEA, so short.

Princess Leia

I thought it was crowded two weeks ago (for shows, not rides). I've seen people say way too overcrowded and backed-up for rides. I've seen people say rides were a walk-on. So... dunno.

But, I will say that Hocus Pocus is really popular now. The first year it debuted, the area in front of the castle was only half-full for the last two shows. Now... every show is packed, even the midnight one.

If you're doing shows, get there early. (We pick up food, inflate our pillows, and do a little picnic waiting for parades, fireworks, and shows.)

Compared to HEA, I'm now severely disappointed in Hallowishes. Probably won't make the effort to see that again until they update it. The music is just... so 80's pop. Bleh. And compared to HEA, so short.
Yeah I’m not going to bother with Hallowishes. HEA spoiled me.

Since my friend’s wedding is tomorrow morning, I think we’re going to try to see the early show and parade (which I’m guessing is what most people will do) so we can leave the park before 11... which again, I’m going to guess is the popular option lol

PrincessNelly_NJ

I have a question about the MNSSHP ticket.

Could I purchase one from someone else, if they give me the code for me to use/link to my Magicband? Linking the code pretty much transfers the ticket right?
Actually, yes you can. I just transferred a party ticket from my sister to my fiance. You can do the transfers on MDE as long as it hasn't been used already.

Princess Leia

It didn’t seem super busy last night? I might not be able to be the best judge of crowd sizes, but lots of rides not named Peter Pan or Mine Train were walk ons.

One note though- I ended up watching the second parade (because of course nothing is really going quite like planned this trip lol), and between the parade ‘starting’ with the Horseman trotting by the castle and the first float showing up, there was a 15 minute gap. It was a little awkward.

MaximumEd

It didn’t seem super busy last night? I might not be able to be the best judge of crowd sizes, but lots of rides not named Peter Pan or Mine Train were walk ons.

One note though- I ended up watching the second parade (because of course nothing is really going quite like planned this trip lol), and between the parade ‘starting’ with the Horseman trotting by the castle and the first float showing up, there was a 15 minute gap. It was a little awkward.

It's always like that with the Horseman and the rest of the parade. The horse just moves at a much faster rate than the floats, so it's somewhat unavoidable.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster

My wife and I felt the same way toward Hallowishes. It used to knock my socks off and the perimeters are still really cool, but that's it. Outside of the last 30 seconds, it falls short of HEA in every way. They desperately need to update it.

Kman101

Guests: Who are you?

David Pumpkins: I'm David Pumpkins, man

Guests: And David Pumpkins is?...

David Pumpkins: His own thang.

Guests: And the skeletons are?...

Skeletons: Part of it!

Um, dur, Google is your friend. We're all glued to our phones every second of the trip, right ;)

Kman101

My wife and I felt the same way toward Hallowishes. It used to knock my socks off and the perimeters are still really cool, but that's it. Outside of the last 30 seconds, it falls short of HEA in every way. They desperately need to update it.

I'd take Disneyland's fireworks over HalloWishes at this point. Very much time to update it. I've heard this quite a bit lately actually. Most are excited for the perimters and they like the soundtrack but it lacks now.

And when I look at the various Halloween-ish parades out there now, I'd really like an update to Boo To You, but I also fear what they do to it so I sort of hesitate on wanting that updated but I think some new floats would be nice, but it isn't really a "problem." I'd just referesh some floats, add some characters, keep the name (unless something better pops up, which is doubtful with their habit of naming things) and song.

Kman101

My last Christmas party was in 2014...Halloween in Disneyland in 2016..

I’m good. Don’t see any need. It’s worth a “special ticket”...perhaps...if they limit attendance.

But they do not...it’s upsell for crowds. That violates my two commandments at WDW:
1. No upsells
2. No crowds

My last were a lot longer than that. Try 10 years :) I'm close to trying it again but I follow it enough to see what's offered. Yes going is different. Maybe once they update the fireworks shows. Halloween with the ride "enhancements" was an OK start but needs to be a little more. The parades are nice in length and I fear a reduction there in new parades for the parties but it's time for a refresh there. They've refreshed stage shows, but that hasn't been enough for me.

I know people though that just love these things like they're rights of passage or an annual thing they look forward too like the F&W festival, Disney has a good amount of guests hooked no matter what they offer. I still think first time guests can have a good time but after all these years, so little changed until just recently. That's a problem. But then you have guests who cling to 15 year old fireworks shows :/

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My last were a lot longer than that. Try 10 years :) I'm close to trying it again but I follow it enough to see what's offered. Yes going is different. Maybe once they update the fireworks shows. Halloween with the ride "enhancements" was an OK start but needs to be a little more. The parades are nice in length and I fear a reduction there in new parades for the parties but it's time for a refresh there. They've refreshed stage shows, but that hasn't been enough for me.

I know people though that just love these things like they're rights of passage or an annual thing they look forward too like the F&W festival, Disney has a good amount of guests hooked no matter what they offer. I still think first time guests can have a good time but after all these years, so little changed until just recently. That's a problem. But then you have guests who cling to 15 year old fireworks shows :/
Honestly...you’ll hate it...

At 2x the price of 10 years ago

HoraceHorizons

For my past 4 trips, Ive been to MNSS 3x and MVMCP 1x. I haven't given up but I have to admit that each year MNSS has disappointed us in some way. The first year, we were estranged about what was different in the park, apart from the trick 'r treating and the excellent lighting on Main St. It seemed like once you left the concourse the party was few a far between apart from Trick Or Treat Trails. The Boo To You parade we actually felt was a bit less-than what we expected, and we were struggling to find our way around parade routes to find food that was open passed 9PM. There aren't many dining options at this party. Why? It's from 4pm-1am some nights!?
Another time the parade routes and crowds in the concourse sent us around the park in circles, causing us to miss things like the actors in front of Haunted Mansion. If Im paying to be there till 12-1am, why does ANYTHING wrap up early? Finally, the third time we went, I resigned to get better viewing for the parade and really try to take it all in. I had been to and loved the Christmas Party the year prior and after seeing the Christmas Parade on Main St, we were all ready give Boo To You a real go, only to have it rain so most of the parade was not operating.
This year I am booked for Halloween Night and I am making new attempts at... anticipating. You need to plan your entire night down to the direction youre walking through the park.
I still think my first impression stands though.
For all that is said about how much the party has to offer, I think it needs more. Especially more lighting THROUGHOUT the park and more ride overlays. Not everyone comes for a HOCUS POCUS show (and I do love that movie), and 3 hour meet and greets.
Disney can fabricate things for treat trails and reuse them easily. They should be DOING SOMETHING in the treat trails. Maybe make some festive tunnels or Jack O Lantern walkways, etc.
I like the shows and the parade enough but, isnt that the type of thing you might not be in the mood for depending on your day? I also feel like with the crowd level you have to eat the entire length of the party to see all that stuff from any decent viewing location. The Haunted Mansion, and the lighting outside on Main St, is IMO the best the party has to offer. Otherwise it seems the idea is to have 1 attraction in each land offer some sort of new overlay. Too boot, these overlays seem to be simple, and frankly CHEAP in comparison to what DisneyLand does. Why? Adding some lighting changes and some actors, considering the price tag of the event, comes across to me as a bit lazy and cheap. Especially considering that the treat trails are actually CLOSED ATTRACTIONS with nothing Halloween themed in the trails. WORSE: In some cases, the attractions they have closed for that treat trail, is a better Halloween attraction if it were open, than it is as a treat trail. Like Monsters INC Laugh Floor, or Jungle Cruise (which could def have a Halloween overlay).
The wait times for the meet and greets make them unappealing entirely, unless you have children who like standing in line for 2 hours. I might try to meet the Seven Dwarfs this year though. We'll see.
I do enjoy myself at the party, dont get me wrong. I still partake in what I like about it, but to me, my problem with it, is that Disney doesn't seem to be doing much to make the park eventful for the holiday past the stage shows, fireworks and parade. There should be Halloween theme-ing and overlays throughout the whole park not just 35% of it. Maybe some people do not feel up to a parade that night? Doesnt it seem weird that this would be MOST of the draw?
If you really think about it, apart from the treat trails and some lights turned off in an attraction or some fog fluid and new lighting, there is actually nothing going on for this party outside of main st and the castle, except for some trick r treat trails, in attractions that they've closed. If you're going to do so little why are ANY attractions closed?
Making the trails more interesting alone would go a long way to making it a better time. That and maybe turn Beast's Castle into some kinda combo Halloween walk-through and Quick Service meal. Or how about doing something spooky on Tom Sawyer Island!? That seems like a wasted opportunity, eh?

Lighting, and people in different costumes doesnt cost Disney much more to accomplish.
Im hoping doing the party this year, on Halloween itself will find the crowds in great spirits and better costumes, and maybe add something to my party experience.

Last edited:

Squishy

For my past 4 trips, Ive been to MNSS 3x and MVMCP 1x. I haven't given up but I have to admit that each year MNSS has disappointed us in some way. The first year, we were estranged about what was different in the park, apart from the trick 'r treating and the excellent lighting on Main St. It seemed like once you left the concourse the party was few a far between apart from Trick Or Treat Trails. The Boo To You parade we actually felt was a bit less-than what we expected, and we were struggling to find our way around parade routes to find food that was open passed 9PM. There aren't many dining options at this party. Why? It's from 4pm-1am some nights!?
Another time the parade routes and crowds in the concourse sent us around the park in circles, causing us to miss things like the actors in front of Haunted Mansion. If Im paying to be there till 12-1am, why does ANYTHING wrap up early? Finally, the third time we went, I resigned to get better viewing for the parade and really try to take it all in. I had been to and loved the Christmas Party the year prior and after seeing the Christmas Parade on Main St, we were all ready give Boo To You a real go, only to have it rain so most of the parade was not operating.
This year I am booked for Halloween Night and I am making new attempts at... anticipating. You need to plan your entire night down to the direction youre walking through the park.
For all that is said about how much the party has to offer, I think it needs more. Especially more lighting THROUGHOUT the park and more ride overlays. Not everyone comes for a HOCUS POCUS show (and I do love that movie), and 3 hour meet and greets.
Disney can fabricate things for treat trails and reuse them easily. They should be DOING SOMETHING in the treat trails. Maybe make some festive tunnels or Jack O Lantern walkways, etc.
I like the shows and the parade enough but, isnt that the type of thing you might not be in the mood for depending on your day? I also feel like with the crowd level you have to eat the entire length of the party to see all that stuff from any decent viewing location. The Haunted Mansion, and the lighting outside on Main St, is IMO the best the party has to offer. Otherwise it seems the idea is to have 1 attraction in each land offer some sort of new overlay. Too boot, these overlays seem to be simple, and frankly CHEAP in comparison to what DisneyLand does. Why? Adding some lighting changes and some actors, considering the price tag of the event, comes across to me as a bit lazy and cheap. Especially considering that the treat trails are actually CLOSED ATTRACTIONS with nothing Halloween themed in the trails. WORSE: In some cases, the attractions they have closed for that treat trail, is a better Halloween attraction if it were open, than it is as a treat trail. Like Monsters INC Laugh Floor, or Jungle Cruise (which could def have a Halloween overlay).
The wait times for the meet and greets make them unappealing entirely, unless you have children who like standing in line for 2 hours. I might try to meet the Seven Dwarfs this year though. We'll see.
I do enjoy myself at the party, dont get me wrong. I still partake in what I like about it, but to me, my problem with it, is that Disney doesn't seem to be doing much to make the park eventful for the holiday past the stage shows, fireworks and parade. There should be Halloween theme-ing and overlays throughout the whole park not just 35% of it. Maybe some people do not feel up to a parade that night? Doesnt it seem weird that this would be MOST of the draw?
If you really think about it, apart from the treat trails and some lights turned off in an attraction or some fog fluid and new lighting, there is actually nothing going on for this party outside of main st and the castle, except for some trick r treat trails, in attractions that they've closed. If you're going to do so little why are ANY attractions closed?
Making the trails more interesting alone would go a long way to making it a better time. That and maybe turn Beast's Castle into some kinda combo Halloween walk-through and Quick Service meal. Or how about doing something spooky on Tom Sawyer Island!? That seems like a wasted opportunity, eh?

Lighting, and people in different costumes doesnt cost Disney much more to accomplish.
Im hoping doing the party this year, on Halloween itself will find the crowds in great spirits and better costumes, and maybe add something to my party experience.
no u

Kman101

Honestly...you’ll hate it...

At 2x the price of 10 years ago

Lots of things in here I completely agree with you on.

There's a lot they could do to make it different or improve it. I shouldn't see virtually the same party and same offerings for well over 10 years (likely longer). But when people go multiple times and accept what's there, why should they change it up? Same for HalloWishes. Why didn't they change it this year?

I do think they've probably realized it's stagnating. Hence the new stage shows for both parties. It's a nice start. I like both new ones but it's not enough to get me to buy a ticket. And I fear a parade overhaul even though I'm ready for some new floats.

I imagine people who have kids also enjoy it and feel the "need" to have to do it.

I mean, where are the villains to meet and greet?

It's amazing what we've all let them get away with the last 10-20 years, personally. I think I finally see a tiny bit of pushback. Very tiny. But I see it more than I did a few years ago.

I like both parties, agreed with you, but they need to stop stagnating.

Like the Christmas party. You can't bother to do Small World Holiday and Country Bears Christmas? For the guests that pay out of the yahoo? Jingle Cruise is a start.

The Halloween overlays is a nice start. It needs to be better (Space Mountain; even though pure darkness is nice). The Pirates thing seems to be growing on folks and it's a nice start. I'd like to see that idea copied to a couple of other rides.

But it's always the bare minimum (sometimes just above). Even when they spend money (this goes for anything they do)

HoraceHorizons

Lots of things in here I completely agree with you on.

There's a lot they could do to make it different or improve it. I shouldn't see virtually the same party and same offerings for well over 10 years (likely longer). But when people go multiple times and accept what's there, why should they change it up? Same for HalloWishes. Why didn't they change it this year?

I do think they've probably realized it's stagnating. Hence the new stage shows for both parties. It's a nice start. I like both new ones but it's not enough to get me to buy a ticket. And I fear a parade overhaul even though I'm ready for some new floats.

I imagine people who have kids also enjoy it and feel the "need" to have to do it.

I mean, where are the villains to meet and greet?

It's amazing what we've all let them get away with the last 10-20 years, personally. I think I finally see a tiny bit of pushback. Very tiny. But I see it more than I did a few years ago.

I like both parties, agreed with you, but they need to stop stagnating.

Like the Christmas party. You can't bother to do Small World Holiday and Country Bears Christmas? For the guests that pay out of the yahoo? Jingle Cruise is a start.

The Halloween overlays is a nice start. It needs to be better (Space Mountain; even though pure darkness is nice). The Pirates thing seems to be growing on folks and it's a nice start. I'd like to see that idea copied to a couple of other rides.

But it's always the bare minimum (sometimes just above). Even when they spend money (this goes for anything they do)

Agree with the point about the villains. It still especially bothers me that they are closing attractions for treat trails and then not doing anything in the treat trail. Maybe have the villains hand out the candy but don't allow for pictures or something. Add some lights. Some plastic bats. Add something if you are closing the rides for them.

Ive heard other people say some similar things lately. Hallowishes is extremely outdated. There used to be a projection mapping show called Celebrate the Magic that had a lot of neat stuff - they should add something like that to the party.

SIDE NOTE: This is the first Ive heard of any "COUNTRY BEARS CHRISTMAS" - guessing thats in DisneyLand - and now Im thinking of moving my trip from August to December.

Animaniac93-98

I enjoyed the country hears Christmas, but the imagineer who made the show hated it and wasn't involved in making it. So, my understanding at least, is that he convinced Disney to stop doing it. That being said, I'm sure it didn't take too much to convince WDW to stop doing an overlay lol

Marc Davis died 5 years before the Christmas Jamboree ended (last year was 2005). Disney doesn't want to pay to do it anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom