Michael Jackson

Sir_Cliff

Original Poster
It’s an appropriate time for these videos...
A little back story- MJ wasn’t happy enough with the first, said it didn’t fit his vision perfectly.. so took Spike Lee to film an entirely new version, in a real prison. Both were released.
I should note, the second one was rarely shown.. imagine if it came out today, it would be everywhere.

To be honest, I really do like this song.

For me, the whole issue is more interesting in regard to how you deal with the musical legacy of Michael Jackson amidst the ambiguity about whether the allegations of child abuse are true. There will never be confirmation one way or the other and for a lot of people there will remain the question of whether you can still enjoy his music and his concerts with that question hanging over everything.

21stamps

To be honest, I really do like this song.

For me, the whole issue is more interesting in regard to how you deal with the musical legacy of Michael Jackson amidst the ambiguity about whether the allegations of child abuse are true. There will never be confirmation one way or the other and for a lot of people there will remain the question of whether you can still enjoy his music and his concerts with that question hanging over everything.

I think it’s interesting that not only was that album only supposed to be a compilation, but ended up being a response to the allegations, really MJ’s most personal work... but that the protests and Black Lives Matter have brought this song back to the forefront. That second video was rarely shown, due to the imagery of past riots and government abuse..crazy to think that was almost 25 years ago and how differently it would have been received today.

Same with Earth Song, from the same album. It trended in the US during Earth Day this year, bit at the time it came out, was ridiculed by the press in the USA. Other countries were different though, it charted much higher in Europe and Asia back then.

Added to that, the way Heal the World was trending, and sang, and shared, so often during the lockdowns, all across the world.. I think we can conclude that however people view the allegations, it’s not possible to “Mute Michael Jackson”. As a composer, writer, singer, performer, his work is just too important to society.. the same as other greats from the past. I just want more documentaries that can focus on those things, the process, music, humanitarianism.. I think the world has so much to benefit by learning of it.. and also looking at the cautionary tale of too much fame.

I do know that MJ’s nephew is working on a docu series with hopes of Netflix picking it up.. I think that, combined with the upcoming lawsuit, could maybe help his legacy in terms of being somewhat vindicated in the eyes of many of those who took Leaving Neverland as fact. Should be interesting to watch over the next year or 2. I have honestly never seen the media manipulate a story as much as they have this one.. but maybe we just don’t know what they manipulate, because we don’t have the ability to hear from people involved, or don’t know where to look. I had to spend a lot of nights piecing thru friend, family, collaborators.. both non famous and famous, to find as much info as I did. I wouldn’t expect many people to do that.. so I understand how it played out the way it did. If all of that can be brought to a platform together, then I think we’ll have less of the “can we separate art from artist”.

Last edited:

21stamps

I’ve never seen a clip of just this part before.. had to share it in honor of this month. This is one of my absolute favorite songs, especially the live versions.

21stamps

I think I’ve almost scrolled thru almost all of the 6/25 tributes now.. only took 3 nights.lol.. here’s a cool one, in China.. someone put up this billboard..

I think it’s safe to say that Leaving Neverland’s “impact” is fading daily.

Also, this documentary is on Amazon..appears to be doing really well. Let me know if anyone here ends up watching it. May be worth your time if you watched LN.

17B3CB73-38C4-4614-9B07-3B280577F867.jpeg

21stamps

I implore everyone to watch Square One. I finally did. It’s on Amazon Prime.
3D5311B1-6DB9-4353-8080-A181D09BFA1C.jpeg

If you don’t have Amazon, it’s also on YouTube for free.

Here’s the link-

Please watch in entirety, it’s getting great reviews. It covers the ‘93 case, and then a bit about the cases afterwards. A lot of info that the media didn’t report last year. If you gave 4 hours to Leaving Neverland, you owe it to yourself to give an hour and a half to this one.

Tony Perkis

I implore everyone to watch Square One. I finally did. It’s on Amazon Prime.
View attachment 480263

If you don’t have Amazon, it’s also on YouTube for free.

Here’s the link-

Please watch in entirety, it’s getting great reviews. It covers the ‘93 case, and then a bit about the cases afterwards. A lot of info that the media didn’t report last year. If you gave 4 hours to Leaving Neverland, you owe it to yourself to give an hour and a half to this one.

Why would believe some “movie”?

21stamps

Why would believe some “movie”?

It’s not two men telling a story.. it’s actually displaying documented events.. there are a few personal accounts in there as well, which those one can believe or not., but the factual stuff can’t be denied. It’s something to take into consideration if you watched 4 hours of 2 guys talking about an alleged experience.

Apparently some people think that 4 hours of a story is the same as factual events.. and have no wish to see anything else. It’s the difference between critical thinking, and only thinking what you’re told to think.
Critical thought isn’t for everyone, I do realize that.

Tony Perkis

It’s not two men telling a story.. it’s actually displaying documented events.. there are a few personal accounts in there as well, which those one can believe or not., but the factual stuff can’t be denied. It’s something to take into consideration if you watched 4 hours of 2 guys talking about an alleged experience.

Apparently some people think that 4 hours of a story is the same as factual events.. and have no wish to see anything else. It’s the difference between critical thinking, and only thinking what you’re told to think.
Critical thought isn’t for everyone, I do realize that.

Irony

————

Your head

Last edited:

21stamps

Tony Perkis

A perfect example of when bootlegging is justified. I have all his best music, but his estate doesn’t get a dime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom