Miceage Update: New Soarin film by 2015, DHS refurb on the way.

The Empress Lilly

Oh, why so serious all!
grphug.gif
Just think of what could happen if this happens. Disney will probably be motivated to expand their monorail system to bring in guests from the station planned at the edge of WDW. Universal and Sea World will want to build a people mover to bring in guests from the planned Orlando Convention Center station.
And there is still the plot of land in between, the one UNI eyes for expansion / third gate.
It's largely undeveloped land. A transit system from SEA to shiny Sea..erm from SEA to Convention to UNI I and UNI II could turn that area into a serious contender, instead of just the current Int. Drive mess....well, not mess, the area is not unpleasant, only disjointed.

Bryner84

Oh, why so serious all!
grphug.gif
And there is still the plot of land in between, the one UNI eyes for expansion / third gate.
It's largely undeveloped land. A transit system from SEA to shiny Sea..erm from SEA to Convention to UNI I and UNI II could turn that area into a serious contender, instead of just the current Int. Drive mess....well, not mess, the area is not unpleasant, only disjointed.
Lovin the group hug smiley.

dsdmbU2

Although a family favorite, we too would like to see an update/change to Soarin'. Clean the screen so we don't have to see multiple "dust bunnies" or whatever they are during the lighter (shade) sequences. Would also love to see them adjust/tweak the ride system so we don't have to see other people's legs and shoes dangling if you're not in the 3rd(?) row. Still a classic, great ride.

ToTBellHop

Although a family favorite, we too would like to see an update/change to Soarin'. Clean the screen so we don't have to see multiple "dust bunnies" or whatever they are during the lighter (shade) sequences. Would also love to see them adjust/tweak the ride system so we don't have to see other people's legs and shoes dangling if you're not in the 3rd(?) row. Still a classic, great ride.
That will never happen. The extremely expensive ride system leaves feet in your field of view. Blame the erector set.

the.dreamfinder

Does anyone else think the mag lev line that MCO and Disney looked at building the 90's could be revived with UNI and SW support in the future? Meats would hate it, but TWDC, Comcast and Blackstone are far more powerful. Save lots of CO2 emissions and $$$ as well.

lazyboy97o

Maglev in Orlando seems to be the same problem of high speed rail between Orlando and Tampa, a very flashy and expensive solution that is far from practical.

Mears is a transportation company, no reason they couldn't expand into fixed rail services.

Texas84

They already are.
Which? Building a system or this board going ballistic? :D

Hogwarts Express should be considered an attraction, not transport, IMHO. I'm thinking the Monorail at TDL. Are they planning something like that?

Sorry, extreme thread drift.

Prock3

Oh, why so serious all!
grphug.gif
Im not sure if there is any room for a third gate, before they announced the new value resort they probably could've squeezed one in. Although Im sure there is plenty of room for a waterpark if they ever decide to go with that plan.

A transit system in that area would cost a crazy amount of money and require quite a bit of land, and UNI/SW and other businesses along I drive would have to foot the majority if not all of the bill, the city has its own major rail project going on and probably wouldn't be willing to help.

Prock3

Maglev in Orlando seems to be the same problem of high speed rail between Orlando and Tampa, a very flashy and expensive solution that is far from practical.

Mears is a transportation company, no reason they couldn't expand into fixed rail services.
Because fixed rail costs a ton of money, money that takes a very very long time to get back, orlando is currently spending 615 million for construction on a commuter rail service that uses a lot of already existing track. Mears can't afford to build something that costs hundreds of millions of dollars

the.dreamfinder

Screw Mears. I'm referring to bringing back for consideration a mag lev plan from the early 90s. @marni1971 would know more.

lazyboy97o

Because fixed rail costs a ton of money, money that takes a very very long time to get back, orlando is currently spending 615 million for construction on a commuter rail service that uses a lot of already existing track. Mears can't afford to build something that costs hundreds of millions of dollars
That in no way affects their ability to be involved as one of several investors or an operator.

lazyboy97o

Screw Mears. I'm referring to bringing back for consideration a mag lev plan from the early 90s. @marni1971 would know more.
You're confusing two points. I'm well aware of the maglev proposal, and I think its too much for what is actually needed. It's flash over substance. There was also a proposal recently from a company in the Atlanta area.

the.dreamfinder

You're confusing two points. I'm well aware of the maglev proposal, and I think its too much for what is actually needed. It's flash over substance. There was also a proposal recently from a company in the Atlanta area.
Nope. Mears would oppose any public transportation project that would lead to them losing out on their shuttle service from MCO (DME) and transport from each resort, another gold mine for Mears. Mag Lev would almost certainly kill these two revenue streams. Traffic on I4 is awful, putting the tourists on rails would help with congestion.

lazyboy97o

Nope. Mears would oppose any public transportation project that would lead to them losing out on their shuttle service from MCO (DME) and transport from each resort, another gold mine for Mears. Mag Lev would almost certainly kill these two revenue streams. Traffic on I4 is awful, putting the tourists on rails would help with congestion.
You're still confusing two different points: maglev not being that practical is separate from whether or not Mears could find a way to make money off of a proposal that encroaches on what they see as their turf.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom