Miceage Update: New Soarin film by 2015, DHS refurb on the way.

the.dreamfinder

You're still confusing two different points: maglev not being that practical is separate from whether or not Mears could find a way to make money off of a proposal that encroaches on what they see as their turf.

Not confusing two points. Only addressing Mears here, we've had plenty of discussions in the past regarding the viability of mag lev.

NoChesterHester

in updating the soarin video, TDA/TDO/WDI have all agreed that shortening it by 30 seconds will grossly increase the throughput of the attraction..

just fyi..

Shame + Good at the same time. Shame to wait so long for a shorter experience. Good that the line will move quicker.

Now if we could just get them to build the third theater.

Thanks for the info.

TP2000

That's interesting. I didn't know they had to have Anaheim do some re-zoning. Besides the property that CL now sits on, what else was re-zoned?

No, it was the area around Disney property that had been zoned in the 1990's for tourist use only. In '06-'07 when the housing boom was at its frothiest peak a slimy condo developer named SunCal tried to get Anaheim to rezone areas on the perimeter of the Resort District for non-tourist housing use as shoebox condos. SunCal paid off a few city council members, namely Lorri Galloway, and tried to buy votes to rezone. Disney went in big on defense and started a Political Action Committee that still exists, while SunCal got backed into a corner.

The story proves that Karma does exist, as SunCal lost huge when the housing market and economy tanked and SunCal had most of its Southwest properties go into foreclosure and was run out of town. The vacant lot they proposed putting shoebox condos on was used from 2009-12 as a "staging area" for WDI to stage all their incoming supplies and equipment for the DCA expansion project. The PAC that Disney set up to battle SunCal in the city council continues to exist and is active in defending tourist interests (bed taxes, new development, etc.) in the Anaheim Resort District.

Cosmic Commando

No, it was the area around Disney property that had been zoned in the 1990's for tourist use only. In '06-'07 when the housing boom was at its frothiest peak a slimy condo developer named SunCal tried to get Anaheim to rezone areas on the perimeter of the Resort District for non-tourist housing use as shoebox condos. SunCal paid off a few city council members, namely Lorri Galloway, and tried to buy votes to rezone. Disney went in big on defense and started a Political Action Committee that still exists, while SunCal got backed into a corner.

The story proves that Karma does exist, as SunCal lost huge when the housing market and economy tanked and SunCal had most of its Southwest properties go into foreclosure and was run out of town. The vacant lot they proposed putting shoebox condos on was used from 2009-12 as a "staging area" for WDI to stage all their incoming supplies and equipment for the DCA expansion project. The PAC that Disney set up to battle SunCal in the city council continues to exist and is active in defending tourist interests (bed taxes, new development, etc.) in the Anaheim Resort District.

I knew you would have the inside dirt!

OSUPhantom

I'll wait for a press conference before I believe it but all the evidence seems to be piling up. I'm controlling myself to avoid getting my hopes up. Looking forward to an announcement and the details that would follow.

MattM

Does anyone else think the mag lev line that MCO and Disney looked at building the 90's could be revived with UNI and SW support in the future? Meats would hate it, but TWDC, Comcast and Blackstone are far more powerful. Save lots of CO2 emissions and $$$ as well.

No, and it doesn't have anything to do with Mears. Funny that they even get brought up here.

the.dreamfinder

Are you saying that Mears opposes any form of public transportation?
On principle, not necessarily. However a rail system that connects WDW and UNI to MCO would significantly hurt their business. Therefore it would be in THEIR best interest to oppose it.

I think one could liken it to SWA's opposition to High Speed Rail in Texas.

That said, I would be in favor of a rail system that connects said properties and SW as a means to reduce traffic on the roads and greenhouse gas emissions.

MattM

On principle, not necessarily. However a rail system that connects WDW and UNI to MCO would significantly hurt their business. Therefore it would be in THEIR best interest to oppose it.

I think one could liken it to SWA's opposition to High Speed Rail in Texas.

That said, I would be in favor of a rail system that connects said properties and SW as a means to reduce traffic on the roads and greenhouse gas emissions.

Would a commuter rail in Orlando hurt Mears' business? (cabs, busses, etc?)

the.dreamfinder

Would a commuter rail in Orlando hurt Mears' business? (cabs, busses, etc?)
Depends on which segment of their business. Don't think it would effect cabs, but potentially losing their contract with Disney for DME (they would still have DCL) and the folks who use Mears to get to UNI would hurt their business in a big way.

Also, if you're going to reference Mear's support for SunRail, stop being so coy about it. Mear's bread and butter is the tourism segment which SunRail isn't really built for, at least for now.

PeterAlt

Depends on which segment of their business. Don't think it would effect cabs, but potentially losing their contract with Disney for DME (they would still have DCL) and the folks who use Mears to get to UNI would hurt their business in a big way.

Also, if you're going to reference Mear's support for SunRail, stop being so coy about it. Mear's bread and butter is the tourism segment which SunRail isn't really built for, at least for now.
Don't get me started about SunRail. Diesel locomotives and the system is 100% at grade. Not to mention the pricetag that is in the billions.

In South Florida (where I live), we have Tri-Rail. The trains run on diesel, but they just purchased new locomotives that are a form of hybrid-electric and run at a respectable savings on fuel. It is also at grade, but about half of the roads it crosses go over the tracks - and there are less crossings in general. SunRail has crossings at every block. Even with the limited number if crossings and the roads that go over the Tri-Rail track, the system has had many deadly accidents, where drivers think they could outrun the train.

The Orlando system will be a much deadlier mess. The crossings will only add to Orlando's traffic woes, rather than help it because traffic must stop where it didn't have to stop before. Steel on steel heavy rail is loud and unsightly. The many neighborhoods it will pass through will grow to hate it. In addition to the noise, they will have to deal with the dirty exhaust of diesel fuel.

Tri-Rail at least goes somewhere. It connects Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties and has a direct connection to Miami International Airport, as well as Miami's own Metrorail (electric elvated heavy rail), Metromover (elevated up-town /me downtown rubber tire automated people mover system with three different loops).

Sun Rail goes where? Not to Orlando international. Not to the Convention Center or I-Drive or Universal or any where worthy except downtown.

For the billions they are spending, they could have built an elevated light rail system on at least a portion of the planned route. When they realize they will need to spend billions more on safety improvements, it will actually cost more than had they done it right to begin with. And the fact that the system goes nowhere will result in low ridership, further adding to the system's real cost.

The only thing that will save it from being a total distaster will be the maglev, which is being planned to tie into it - and the All Aboard Florida train that will start service at around 2015 that will connect Orlando, West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami!

PeterAlt

Which? Building a system or this board going ballistic? :D

Hogwarts Express should be considered an attraction, not transport, IMHO. I'm thinking the Monorail at TDL. Are they planning something like that?

Sorry, extreme thread drift.
It's both. It uses the same people mover system that several Las Vegas hotels have.

MattM

I'm not being coy about anything, they've supported SunRail and they've supported High Speed Rail in Florida. You are bashing a business that, if I may be frank, you know very little about other than they are a transportation company in which Disney contracts.

You can't say they oppose anything that will threaten their contract with Disney when they've done both. Also, there is the assumption that if billion upon billions is spent on any kind of rail transportation from MCO to Disney that people will give up a pre-arranged Disney bus trip to do so. I don't see that happening.

Prock3

Don't get me started about SunRail. Diesel locomotives and the system is 100% at grade. Not to mention the pricetag that is in the billions.

In South Florida (where I live), we have Tri-Rail. The trains run on diesel, but they just purchased new locomotives that are a form of hybrid-electric and run at a respectable savings on fuel. It is also at grade, but about half of the roads it crosses go over the tracks - and there are less crossings in general. SunRail has crossings at every block. Even with the limited number if crossings and the roads that go over the Tri-Rail track, the system has had many deadly accidents, where drivers think they could outrun the train.

The Orlando system will be a much deadlier mess. The crossings will only add to Orlando's traffic woes, rather than help it because traffic must stop where it didn't have to stop before. Steel on steel heavy rail is loud and unsightly. The many neighborhoods it will pass through will grow to hate it. In addition to the noise, they will have to deal with the dirty exhaust of diesel fuel.

Tri-Rail at least goes somewhere. It connects Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties and has a direct connection to Miami International Airport, as well as Miami's own Metrorail (electric elvated heavy rail), Metromover (elevated up-town /me downtown rubber tire automated people mover system with three different loops).

Sun Rail goes where? Not to Orlando international. Not to the Convention Center or I-Drive or Universal or any where worthy except downtown.

For the billions they are spending, they could have built an elevated light rail system on at least a portion of the planned route. When they realize they will need to spend billions more on safety improvements, it will actually cost more than had they done it right to begin with. And the fact that the system goes nowhere will result in low ridership, further adding to the system's real cost.

The only thing that will save it from being a total distaster will be the maglev, which is being planned to tie into it - and the All Aboard Florida train that will start service at around 2015 that will connect Orlando, West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami!
Diesel locomotives are incredibly clean. The exhaust isn't noticeable I live in the chicago suburbs, dozens of freight and commuter trains go through each day and I have never smelt exhaust you smell much more from a semi than you do a locomotive, although that has a lot to do with the different types of fuel they use. The locomotives tri rail just purchased are just regular diesels, modern ones are becoming more and more efficient. All diesel trains are a sort of "hybrid" the diesel engine doesn't directly move the wheels it powers electric motors which then spin the wheels, it also works in reverse they can use the electric motors to collect energy to be used at a later time.

And Sun rail does go somewhere its a Commuter rail service, its meant to bring people from the suburbs to the city for work, not everything in orlando is centered along Idrive/Worldcenter

tl77

I think a new Soarin film should have random scenes and effects. Similar to star tours, they can randomize each time so it's different. Just make it all work with the music and have the wind and scent effects change up depending on the scene and your golden!

Switching Soarin' over to a digital format would give it the ability to do what you're describing...

When Star Tours went from the original analog/Film format to digital, it not only allowed them to randomize the scenes but also better sync up the images to the movements of the ride vehicle. I if it does get convert to digital I don't see why they wouldn't have a couple different shows

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom