MiceAge Rumor: Disney Jr. Closing In April '17 - Marvel Plans???

mickEblu

While I love the idea of Tomorrowland, I can't really blame successive generations of TDA and Burbank bean counters from throwing in the towel on it. You'd need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars every decade to keep it relevant and "Tomorrow".

Not if they go with a "fantasy" view of tomorrow. Tonmorowland looked amazing in the movie. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to make the land look like the film but if they could pull it off, I would imagine that would be relevant for at least 50 years. Probably forever. Unfortunately, I don't see the future looking so bright and shiny like the movie.

Animaniac93-98

Oh no. That really happened? Wow. I had no idea. Do they still do this at DHS??? My last WDW visit I avoided DHS entirely, and previous visits I think I spent a total of three hours in the park before moving back to Epcot. What a mess that park is, but this dance party is just weird.

This seems like another perfect example of Disney's left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
We have MiceAge rumors saying that WDI is so serious about Star Wars Land that they are paying off Coca-Cola contracts so they don't have to serve Coke in the land, but then WDW is doing a pop music Star Wars dance party with Stormtroopers filling in as go-go girls. Baffling.

The Hoopla ended a few years ago because Disney wanted to take Star Wars more seriously. It was a seasonal show that started long before Disney acquired Lucasfilm.

D

Deleted member 107043

Im guessing you'd rather have an empty lagoon which wouldn't really bother me personally because I never ride Nemo. I would agree it was a dumb decision, if we were riding around the lagoon on some plastic Nemo's. But there is nothing cartoony about the lagoon unless you are actually on the ride there is nothing that is interfering with the theme of the land, except for the seagulls (and that area feels more like Fantasyland really). I mean they could literally just say Nemo belongs to Fantasyland and nobody would bat an eye because of its location.

I don't think that it was stupid to save the Subs. Tommorland is a mess anyway. It's the only attraction at DLR where you really go underwater and it would be cool if that experience could be saved albeit in a more creative and futuristic way.

Well in my view you can't be OK with Nemo being "shoehorned" into Tomorrowland and then be out of sorts because Guardians of The Galaxy is being "shoehorned" into Hollywood Land. Saving something because it's makes you feel warm and fuzzy instead of going forward with big ideas seems contrary to the creative ideals and bold vision set forth by Walt when Disneyland opened IMO.

I discovered the parks at a time when the mantra was almost anything is possible at Disneyland. The park probably wasn't old enough back then for any measurable level of nostalgia among fans so the sky was the limit. A big part of Disneyland excitement when I was a kid was wondering what they would do next, and coming from that mindset it's a bit frustrating to me today when people younger than me are obsessed with preserving any and everything at the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

Anyway, I think it would it would be better off saying nothing at all than that lame backstory.

I honestly think you're over-thinking this. Usually WDI comes up with dumb backstories for their attractions. Why would you expect this one to be any better/different?

D

Deleted member 107043

While I love the idea of Tomorrowland, I can't really blame successive generations of TDA and Burbank bean counters from throwing in the towel on it. You'd need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars every decade to keep it relevant and "Tomorrow".

By that same token Hollywood Land (and to a similar degree Hollywood themed parks) is a mess too, so maybe this is Disney throwing in the towel on that theme as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

Well in my view you can't be OK with Nemo being "shoehorned" into Tomorrowland and then be out of sorts because Guardians of The Galaxy is being "shoehorned" into Hollywood Land. Saving something because it's makes you feel warm and fuzzy instead of going forward with big ideas seems contrary to the creative ideals and bold vision set forth by Walt when Disneyland opened IMO.

I discovered the parks at a time when the mantra was almost anything is possible at Disneyland. The park probably wasn't old enough back then for any measurable level of nostalgia among fans so the sky was the limit. A big part of Disneyland excitement when I was a kid was wondering what they would do next, and coming from that mindset it's a bit frustrating to me today when people younger than me are obsessed with preserving any and everything at the park.

Nemo doesn't make me warm and fuzzy. I hate the ride. And before that I think I rode Submarine voyage once or twice as a kid. But you can't compare Nemo to the towering monstrosity that will be GOTG. Like I said, the lagoon is still the same lagoon with Nemo under the water. The exterior doesn't interfere with the theming of the land it's residing in. And I think my point about Nemo's location is a valid one as well. All they would have to do is say it's part of Fantasyland. Problem solved. Then whenever they decide to redo TL, they can turn into something more ambitious and put it in whatever land makes sense. I think many of us give TL a pass because we ve always known it to be a mess and most of it's rides have become perpetual placeholders in our minds.

I think your second point was spot on. Walt was all about changing and improvement but do you think he could have even anticipated what an institution/ icon the park would become? And your right, it probably took a couple decades for the nostalgia to build but in the meantime there was also plenty of room to build and plenty of undesirable areas to improve on. Before, if Walt wanted a new land he could blow up Mickeys Holiday land or Whatever else they may have half @$$ed because they didn't have the budget. Now decisions are tougher. Most of the park is fleshed out with very detailed themed lands with rides that have been around for generations. It's just not comparing apples to apples.

I'm not against the park improving. They could have put a GOTG ride anywhere in the Hollywood backlot or anywhere else that needs improving. I don't think they are at the point where they had to get rid of a fan favorite/ E ticket to improve the park. There was a huge area around the corner where they could have done that. But you know that. And you also know this wasn't about improving the park (TOT didn't need improving and there's plenty of space for Marvel Land elsewhere) and that this is purely about $$$ and corporate synergy.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I honestly think you're over-thinking this. Usually WDI comes up with dumb backstories for their attractions. Why would you expect this one to be any better/different?

I dunno. Just my feeling. Permanently overlaying a fan favorite/ E ticket is kind of unprecedented. I think Joe said that in response to some of the backlash from some of the more critical fans... that he probably agrees with. Lol

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

The future is always changing, but a lot of it isn't changing any time soon. A lot of futuristic things won't be happening most likely for at least a few decades. A good example would be human exploration of Mars. The technology to make that happen hasn't completely developed yet, and I bet it still won't five or more years from now.

There's a lot Disney can do with Tomorrowland. They just refuse to attack the concept.

GiveMeTheMusic

Oh no. That really happened? Wow. I had no idea. Do they still do this at DHS??? My last WDW visit I avoided DHS entirely, and previous visits I think I spent a total of three hours in the park before moving back to Epcot. What a mess that park is, but this dance party is just weird.

This seems like another perfect example of Disney's left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
We have MiceAge rumors saying that WDI is so serious about Star Wars Land that they are paying off Coca-Cola contracts so they don't have to serve Coke in the land, but then WDW is doing a pop music Star Wars dance party with Stormtroopers filling in as go-go girls. Baffling.

Meanwhile, in Anaheim... I'm glad TDA is going to focus all the Marvel street entertainment into one corner of DCA, and leave the pee-stained puppet show to the precious kiddies and their parents who made a specific life choice to pay 120 bucks per day to sit on pee-stained carpet. Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be all about classic 20th century rock and roll, so a dance party or street entertainment shouldn't be too much of a stretch thematically once Mission Breakout opens. And I imagine TDA wants to get back some of that old Mad T Party magic in that area.

The Hoopla and other non-serious Star Wars pursuits were dropped like a hot potato once Lucasfilm was acquired. That's why you'll never see the fab five making appearances in their Star Wars outfits ever again - Lucasfilm says no, and they have the political clout now that they're in the family. The Hoopla show is now relegated to the weird history books.

BrianLo

All they would have to do is say it's part of Fantasyland. Problem solved.

I agree with you the backstory is 'stupid'. It's temporary, reeks of temporary. But soon enough ToT will be part of Marvel land and the problem will be solved in a similar fashion.

From the sounds of things groundbreaking will begin within very close proximity to its opening. A full announcement will come in July at D23.

Probably, their mistake was if they were going to announce GoTG in the Fall, they should have just announced the whole Marvel initiative at the same time. On the flip side people could have just been blindsided by the tower and had a negative reaction to the better parts of the plans in that scenario.

mickEblu

I agree with you the backstory is 'stupid'. It's temporary, reeks of temporary. But soon enough ToT will be part of Marvel land and the problem will be solved in a similar fashion.

From the sounds of things groundbreaking will begin within very close proximity to its opening. A full announcement will come in July at D23.

Probably, their mistake was if they were going to announce GoTG in the Fall, they should have just announced the whole Marvel initiative at the same time. On the flip side people could have just been blindsided by the tower and had a negative reaction to the better parts of the plans in that scenario.

Good points. I still think TOT Could have been spared especially if they are going to be expanding into the current bus loading area. For me It just always goes back to the root of this project (GOTG not Marvel Land a a whole) being rooted in Corportate synergy and not really to improve the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

Nemo doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

I was using that metaphor to describe the feeling some fans got when The Subs made their return, not the Nemo storyline. We're witnessing it again right now with the return of the MSEP.

Now decisions are tougher.

Agreed, still many of the decisions are likely driven by traditionalist fans who kick and scream every time something new and different is announced. Disney can't even change paper coffee cups or remodel a toilet without someone on the internet weighing in with a blog post. 30 years ago nobody obsessed over stuff like that, and if they did no one I knew talked about it. Just think if the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland was being dismantled today for Big Thunder? People would lose their minds!

I love DL, but the ambition and innovation that was prevalent in the 60s and 70s is lacking; the place has basically been the same for the past 20 years. SW Land can't come quick enough for me.

I don't think they are at the point where they had to get rid of a fan favorite/ E ticket to improve the park.

Again, and not trying to be argumentative, but they aren't getting rid of anything other than the Twilight Zone storyline. A year from now you'll still be going up and down in an elevator in the same building.

Figments Friend

I feel a need to note that Tony had other ideas for the Subs overlay .....something far cooler and more thematically appropriate then the silly 'Finding Nemo' overlay he was forced to implement.
Marketing was pressuring for a tie-in.

Despite the animated film tanking at the box office, plans were afoot to do a 'Atlantis' themed overlay to the Subs, among other ideas.
This would have been far more fantastic in scope and theming then the preschooler's cruise with cartoon fish we ended up with.

Despite the 'Pixaration', I am very thankful the Subs still exsist and I can experience them today.

-

VJ

The Hoopla and other non-serious Star Wars pursuits were dropped like a hot potato once Lucasfilm was acquired. That's why you'll never see the fab five making appearances in their Star Wars outfits ever again - Lucasfilm says no, and they have the political clout now that they're in the family. The Hoopla show is now relegated to the weird history books.
I wish they at least kept Jedi Mickey, honestly. I thought he was the coolest out of the bunch.

D

Deleted member 107043

As a designer Tony Baxter had a unique viewpoint and incredible influence at WDI. However the TL '98 debacle and his campaign to preserve The Subs was what did it for me. I'm also turned off by his cultish following, but like I said he had a terrific career at Disney and no one can deny his passion for Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom