MGM Studios Hat

jcldtrek

Original Poster
Now that the wand is about to fall at epcot, anyone got a opinion on the studios sorceror hat. Should it go also or stay. I personally like it, but hate that it totally blocks the great movie ride (chinese theatre replica). And your not telling me siemens didn't have disney take that wand down. They probably told them it gotta go or no more funding. that thing when it was built, was built to stay. just my two cents for what its worth. Just wondering whats everyones opinion on the hat at the Studios now.

RiversideBunny

I have no problem with the hat.

It's a nice symbol for the Studios.
The front of the Chinese theatre is not really so spectacular and you can still see it well, when entering the Great Movie Ride, because the building is set back from the street.

:)

lunarsquid

I think it was a great icon for a park that didn't really have one, but I've always questioned the positioning.... if it were just moved a few yards closer to the entrance...

wickedfan07

There's one big difference between the Hat and the Wand: the Hat IS the icon, and the wand only "added" to the icon. I think that Hat works as an icon, and if the Chinese Theater ever has to go (for whatever reason), the park's look, and Hollywood Boulevard won't change drastically. I don't think the Hat is going anywhere, I don't think it needs to. I like the Hat.

jcldtrek

Original Poster
oh come on you all know the question was coming, the hats the only big thing left after the wand goes bye bye. its a pleasure to be the one to start the hat question :)

Sir_Cliff

The hat from the Sorcerer's Apprentice for some reason seems like a random and stupid icon for a park celebrating movie making.

ToTBellHop

Just get it out from in front of the theater! Second stupidest placement of an "icon" since the "wand" on SSE!
and what was the first stupidest placement of an "icon" since the "wand" on SSE?

I like the hat--no tacky supports visible and it's 3D, so it doesn't look as cheap as the Wand. Granted, it is not a masterpiece like Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, and the Tree of Life.

Testtrack321

Personally, I don't like it and it ruins the aesthetic of Hollywood Blvd, but I don't think it's a bad thing in it's own right. If they moved the damn thing over a few dozen feet to the entrance of MICKEY AVENUE, then I'd love it...

Epcot82Guy

As I've said before, I think it's a fine creation, but very poorly placed. Perhaps it is the poster child for modern Disney management-imagineering. :lol:

MGM is an odd park because it has always had that issue. The Theater is a beautiful Icon and has the central location, but it doesn't work for what a Disney Park icon is to be. The watertower is a great icon, but it lacks the placement. The hat is a ho-hum icon to me, and the central location is great, but it is inappropriate right in front of the theater. It's a tough one.

I think putting the icon out at the entry plaza would have been the best solution, but cest la vie.

lunarsquid

The hat from the Sorcerer's Apprentice for some reason seems like a random and stupid icon for a park celebrating movie making.

I disagree, simply because Fantasia is considered by some (myself included) to be Disney's masterpiece. His Magnum Opus, if you will...

To me, the hat represents MAGIC. Who hasn't heard about "movie magic?" What better place for the hat to be--at the Studios teamed with DISNEY MAGIC!!

Champion

As I've said before, I think it's a fine creation, but very poorly placed. Perhaps it is the poster child for modern Disney management-imagineering. :lol:

MGM is an odd park because it has always had that issue. The Theater is a beautiful Icon and has the central location, but it doesn't work for what a Disney Park icon is to be. The watertower is a great icon, but it lacks the placement. The hat is a ho-hum icon to me, and the central location is great, but it is inappropriate right in front of the theater. It's a tough one.

I think putting the icon out at the entry plaza would have been the best solution, but cest la vie.

But the theater was NEVER the icon. It was the watertower, and now its the hat.

The hat will stay. It will be there longer than GMR.

Now that the wand is about to fall at epcot, anyone got a opinion on the studios sorceror hat. Should it go also or stay. I personally like it, but hate that it totally blocks the great movie ride (chinese theatre replica). And your not telling me siemens didn't have disney take that wand down. They probably told them it gotta go or no more funding. that thing when it was built, was built to stay. just my two cents for what its worth. Just wondering whats everyones opinion on the hat at the Studios now.

Don't you find it to be somewhat ironic that a number of folks (me included, as well as you) share the free avatar that shows the despised wand? :ROFLOL:

wickedfan07

At least Fantasia is a movie, and the Hat is in the movie-themed park. Sorcerer Mickey's arm has nothing to do with Epcot's theme.

The Hat may not be a masterpiece on the level of the other icons, but neither is the Earful Tower. The Chinese Theater was never intended to be the icon of the park; its just the entrance to an attraction which happens to be placed very prominently.

darthjohnny

I really like the hat. But I think it would be better if it was in a different place. It blocks the Chinese Theater and takes away from Hollywood theme.

PaisleyMF

How about if the Powers that Be change the Great Movie Ride Building and make something looking more like this:

SC2.jpg

This is The Disney Feature Animation Building in California

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom