MGM starts holidays early - test for guest reaction

celestia

KevinPage said:
Hopefully a few others CM's can confirm this. I asked a CM in the Xmas shop at MGM why they decided to start the Osbourne Lights 2 weeks earlier than normal this year, she stated that it was a test to see guest reaction on starting the holidays earlier than normal & MGM was the only park doing it this year.

Sounded reasonable IMHO. Coincidence :confused:

My friends that work at DAK said the same thing about their park.... I think this is true for all of them this year with the decor at least.

bearboysnc

Thrawn said:
Simple question: What about the people that can't go to WDW in December, but can in November? They don't deserve to be able to see the Christmas decor?

What about the people going in November hoping to AVOID the Christmas garbage drapped over everything like spanish moss. BAH HUMBUG!

MuRkErY

LoL

I bought a Latte from Starbucks last Monday on Halloween, and they had all ready switched over to.

"It only happens once a year....... Happy Christmas from Starbucks" Cups, lol.

Starting Christmas in October is just wrong, lol. :hammer:

KumbaRider

MuRkErY said:
LoL

I bought a Latte from Starbucks last Monday on Halloween, and they had all ready switched over to.

"It only happens once a year....... Happy Christmas from Starbucks" Cups, lol.

Starting Christmas in October is just wrong, lol. :hammer:

Wow, that's pretty bad.

Trishnh

wdwmagic said:
Once Christmas starts at WDW in November, are you then going to make the argument that the folks in October shouldnt miss out on the decorations as well? ;) In my opinion, if people want to see Christmas decorations, they should book their trip to coincide with the holiday, not hope that the decorations will be brought out very early, or left out very late.

I totally agree. That is what makes going in December so special..Should the July 4th celebrations be extended so people going in August and September can enjoy them?

GoofyFreek

Well its not just Disney. Walmart on Nov 1st was already playing x-mas music on there in house tv's and radio's.

MGM started setting up the lights early so incase the Tropical Storms delayed the setting up. But since they didnt have any major storms come across Disney they finished way ahead of schedule and that allowed them to open early.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
bearboysnc said:
What about the people going in November hoping to AVOID the Christmas garbage drapped over everything like spanish moss. BAH HUMBUG!
well, i guess ill take you off my Christmas and Holiday card mailing list and save a stamp :lol: jk

well, in the argument of when to bring them out...... i say that November 1 is a little early, but in terms of how long they take to set up, i dont blame them for putting them up early. especially the osbourne lights.

now, afterwards, once christmas is over, get that stuff down at new years. at least that is how it is in the Maxwell house.

Jekyll Baker

GoofyFreek said:
Well its not just Disney. Walmart on Nov 1st was already playing x-mas music on there in house tv's and radio's.

I think I heard the Xmas music at our local Walmart at least a week before Halloween. And Jekyll Island GA (where I work) has already started putting up their decorations too, mainly draping all the trees with gobs of little lights. It's OK to go ahead and string the lights, But do they have to turn them on already?!?! It's only the first week of November, and I'm already tired of Christmas.

As far as whether the people who go to WDW in November should be able to see the Osborne lights or not - If I go to WDW and decor is up, I'll look at it, if not, I won't. I did make a day trip down last year (in December) to see how the parks were decorated. I got to MK and Epcot, but didn't get to stay til dark 'cause I had to be back at work the next day. I actually wasn't real impressed by MK's decoration. As much as many people make a big deal about it, I expected the ENTIRE park to be decorated, not just a few trees, poinsettias, and garland swags on Main Street and the hub, and the CBJ Xmas makeover. And at Epcot, I didn't expect Future World to have much as far as Xmas stuff, but World Showcase made up for it fairly well (having the advantage of being able to display holiday traditions from 11 different countries)

Timmay

Well, some people may not see that the Thanksgiving-Christmas holiday really is a month and a half celebration, as apposed to the 4th of July, which is really only one day. (yes, I know Christmas is also only one day too) You simply can't equate the two. A lot of people are using the argument "but when does it stop, how soon is soon enough?" Well, that is clearly up to the people to decide on their own. Nobody complains that the Haloween celebration is a whole month long, so what's the deal with a Holiday celebration that lasts a month and a half.

People begin to get in the holiday mode right around now...shopping, parties, decorating, the holiday movie push, all kinds of stuff. I would agree that starting on November 1 would be just a tad bit early, but what really is the problem with around the middle of this month?

MickeyTigg

wdwmagic said:
Once Christmas starts at WDW in November, are you then going to make the argument that the folks in October shouldnt miss out on the decorations as well? ;) In my opinion, if people want to see Christmas decorations, they should book their trip to coincide with the holiday, not hope that the decorations will be brought out very early, or left out very late.

Granted....but then people need to complain about it. Do you complain to the management of stores that start putting out Christmas items and decorations right after Halloween (some before).

I am not crazy about it either....I just don't think it's going to go back. I think the best we can hope for is to keep it where it is.

cherrynegra

Maybe if they push the Christmas decorations at WDW into October we'll finally get the Haunted Mansion Nightmare Before Christmas Overlay.:lookaroun

MSTINKHERBELL01

I was in the Mall the other day and w/ all the Holiday decor and music and such I felt brainwashed into buying MYSELF all these lovely gifts. To: Me From: Me:lol:

Honestly, the early Holiday stuff is a bit much IMO...but hey, I am really not fond of Turkey Day..I tend to skip right over that Holiday.:wave:

WDWFREAK53

MSTINKHERBELL01 said:
I was in the Mall the other day and w/ all the Holiday decor and music and such I felt brainwashed into buying MYSELF all these lovely gifts. To: Me From: Me:lol:

Honestly, the early Holiday stuff is a bit much IMO...but hey, I am really not fond of Turkey Day..I tend to skip right over that Holiday.:wave:

...since you're not going to eat that...more turkey and stuffing for me! :slurp:

speck76

wdwmagic said:
I agree. Its all beginning far to early. It isnt just WDW doing this though, all the major stores here are in Christmas mode already. I understand their wish to extend the season to potentialy increase business, but I personally would prefer to have Christmas begin after thanksgiving.

While I agree it is too early (hearing Christmas music at DAK this weekend, and seeing the tree...did not quite do it for me) many people do not have the ability to ever come over the December holidays.......

I believe DLP started their Christmas events this week too.

MSTINKHERBELL01

WDWFREAK53 said:
...since you're not going to eat that...more turkey and stuffing for me! :slurp:

LOLLLLL....You are more then Welcome to a Turkey Day filled with Soul Food and my crazy family dancing, eating, and drinking the night away.:wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Theory: Osbourne was on an early schedule to avoid delays like last year due to Hurricanes.

No such damage - they're now ahead of schedule. Number crunchers can see that opening Osbourne early will stretch out the spike in attendance and overall increase MGM for the year.

Seems like the solution to me. Over at AK they're obviously getting mroe decor.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
cherrynegra said:
I have to agree with the people against the early push for Christmas. You used to look forward to the holidays with that lull between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It would build up your anticipation. I understand why Disney is doing it i.e. the money, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

And I know a certain Premium Member who already has his tree up and posted pics of it too.:lookaroun

Dam Skippy I do.:D

Bytowner

Thrawn said:
Simple question: What about the people that can't go to WDW in December, but can in November? They don't deserve to be able to see the Christmas decor?

And what about the people that can't go in December but can in January? Shouldn't they also be alble to see it? :p

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Bytowner said:
And what about the people that can't go in December but can in January? Shouldn't they also be alble to see it? :p

And I rely on my old standby....."Disney ownes the parks.....they can do what they want. If they want to put up Easter decorations at Halloween, they can darned well do it."

Cary on.

speck76

Bytowner said:
not too many people go in January

November is actually a decent month, with many NE schools out this week with the fall holiday break (around Vet's day) and Thanksgiving....there are a lot of people in town.

Besides....everything was up by Thanksgiving anyway....what is the big deal with 2 weeks prior?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom