MGM starts holidays early - test for guest reaction

KevinPage

Original Poster
Hopefully a few others CM's can confirm this. I asked a CM in the Xmas shop at MGM why they decided to start the Osbourne Lights 2 weeks earlier than normal this year, she stated that it was a test to see guest reaction on starting the holidays earlier than normal & MGM was the only park doing it this year.

Sounded reasonable IMHO. Coincidence :confused:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
They're always looking to extend Guest stays (number of nights) and raise the low seasons. Essentially instead of peaks and valleys, they want a HIGH plateau.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's also the end of Food/Wine, ABC SuperSoap weekend, and the Festival of Masters.

So, it's gonna be a busy week it what normally would be a lull.

bgraham34

I am not a big fan of that. I don't like the Christmas Season being pushed on you so early. It takes away from the excitement in Dec.

Trishnh

bgraham34 said:
I am not a big fan of that. I don't like the Christmas Season being pushed on you so early. It takes away from the excitement in Dec.

I agree. I love Christmas & all the decorations, but I think it is crazy that stores have decorations up BEFORE Halloween, and now Disney wants to follow suit? IMHO Christmas decorations should start the day after Thanksgiving.:xmas:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
bgraham34 said:

Simple question: What about the people that can't go to WDW in December, but can in November? They don't deserve to be able to see the Christmas decor?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
bgraham34 said:

I agree. Its all beginning far to early. It isnt just WDW doing this though, all the major stores here are in Christmas mode already. I understand their wish to extend the season to potentialy increase business, but I personally would prefer to have Christmas begin after thanksgiving.

MickeyTigg

KevinPage said:
Hopefully a few others CM's can confirm this. I asked a CM in the Xmas shop at MGM why they decided to start the Osbourne Lights 2 weeks earlier than normal this year, she stated that it was a test to see guest reaction on starting the holidays earlier than normal & MGM was the only park doing it this year.

Sounded reasonable IMHO. Coincidence :confused:

I'm not sure this is really a 'test' since it's been scheduled to start prior to Thanksgiving for months now.

wannab@dis

There's a lot of people around here that put out their Christmas decorations this weekend. So, maybe this is a chicken/egg deal. Are the stores moving it back to appease the early bird consumers or are the consumers moving back because the stores are getting them in the mood?

We won't decorate until Thanksgiving, but I don't mind it being out early. And Thrawn makes a good point, why shouldn't the folks that visit in November get to enjoy the decorations? December is our favorite time to visit and the Christmas decorations and Holiday cheer makes for a wonderful time.

MickeyTigg

bgraham34 said:

Whether you like it or not...it is what is and the "genie's been let out of the bottle" and it's not going back in.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
why shouldn't the folks that visit in November get to enjoy the decorations? December is our favorite time to visit and the Christmas decorations and Holiday cheer makes for a wonderful time.

Once Christmas starts at WDW in November, are you then going to make the argument that the folks in October shouldnt miss out on the decorations as well? ;) In my opinion, if people want to see Christmas decorations, they should book their trip to coincide with the holiday, not hope that the decorations will be brought out very early, or left out very late.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
TiggerRPh said:
I'm not sure this is really a 'test' since it's been scheduled to start prior to Thanksgiving for months now.

When the dates were first released around April 2005, the Osbornes were set for Nov. 23-Jan. 8. Then around September 2005, they were changed to begin on Nov. 14. So whilst the change was made a few months ago, there was definately a change in the plan, so it very could have been the case that this year would be a test of beginning things early, and then gauging guest reaction.

wannab@dis

wdwmagic said:
Once Christmas starts at WDW in November, are you then going to make the argument that the folks in October shouldnt miss out on the decorations as well? ;) In my opinion, if people want to see Christmas decorations, they should book their trip to coincide with the holiday, not hope that the decorations will be brought out very early, or left out very late.

Nope. IMO, October is too early also. First week of November is pushing the envelope. If they are starting 2 weeks earlier this year, then that will put it the middle of the month. That seems fine to me.

DisneyBunny

Thrawn said:
Simple question: What about the people that can't go to WDW in December, but can in November? They don't deserve to be able to see the Christmas decor?

The same thing that the people who could only go in August, but still want to see the 4th of July Fireworks. Heck, I wanted to see the Osbourne lights lit when I went at the end of September, but I wasn't complaining about it. I knew that they wouldn't be lit, and dealt with it. That being said, Disney can do whatever they want, but MY holiday season doesn't start till black Friday.

WDWFREAK53

Thrawn said:

What about the people that can't go to WDW in December but can in April...They don't deserve to be able to see the Christmas decor?

Why stop at November?

Simple...if you want to see Halloween decorations at WDW...you go in October. If you can't make it in October...I'm sorry but you'll miss them.

Granted, there is no "set-in-stone" "Holiday Season" on the calendar...but pushing decorations on you before Halloween is ridiculous (not that I'm talking about WDW...I'm talking about the major chain stores with this last statement).

bgraham34

I understand seeing some decorations before Halloween, because of just how much there is and how much time it takes to put up. But if it is lit before Halloween I dont like that idea.

cherrynegra

I have to agree with the people against the early push for Christmas. You used to look forward to the holidays with that lull between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It would build up your anticipation. I understand why Disney is doing it i.e. the money, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

And I know a certain Premium Member who already has his tree up and posted pics of it too.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom