MGM news

WDWFREAK53

you wanna talk about a park looking rundown...just look at Future World at Epcot...all of the coping panels around the perimeters of the roofs are filthy!!! My company actually fabricates and installs panels like that (actually, Spaceship Earth is made of the same panels). They can't be painted, but they DEFINITELY need to be scrubbed clean

AdLibSean

Originally posted by kaos

I was there in 99 and again in 2000 when the argument between Disney and MGM was going on. The Earful Tower had the MGM part blocked off, and the MGM was removed from the arch going into the backlot tour area.. When I was there in July of 2000, both MGM logo's were back. There is stock footage running around made by Disney for park promotions that you can see the MGM being "whited-out" on the water tower.

In the current Vacation planning video, the last scene for the MGM part of the video, a bnch of actors are standing in front of the Gate, the MGM "Leo" logo has been digitally removed also.

kaos

Originally posted by AdLibSean

In the current Vacation planning video, the last scene for the MGM part of the video, a bnch of actors are standing in front of the Gate, the MGM "Leo" logo has been digitally removed also.

I am going to say this nicely...

The MGM Logo's were not digitally removed, as I witnessed it with my own eyes. There was a time that MGM's licensing agreement with Disney ended, for about 3 months, and since the contract was in negotiations, Disney took the logo's out, PHYSICALLY. It was a ploy to have MGM re-sign for at least 3 more years. Once the deal was re-inked, the MGM's reappeared.

And honestly, I know a lot more than I let on.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Could you tell me which 3 months these were? I go at least once a month, and I seriously don't remember any changes on either logos except the Fantasmic Rehab, Santa hat, and the Orlando Magic Banner signs. And the really old water tower. hee hee.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Can't say I've heard that, but that was the orginal name of the park before MGM Signed on with Disney. I have old promo buttons with Mickey and "Disney Studios" :) But as of now, the name is still "Disney-MGM Studios"

WDW Imagineer

Personally I like the name Walt Disney Studios Florida, it really pays tribute to the man who started it all.

I read somewhere that the reason they put the MGM into Disney-MGM Studios is because when the park first opened they wanted people to think it was a theme park and at the time MGM hads more of a home touch then disney did,

maybe I got this wrong, but it was something like that:veryconfu

Luau Cove

There exists one problem which people seem to under-estimate which is that many many many people call the theme park just "MGM", including myself. Disney doesn't want to confuse someone who isn't aware of this change and create a whole hysteria of "What happened to MGM!?!" and subsequently, it may sound stupid to you who are always looking around for what's new, people will think the park changed or something. The solution? Lots of commercials everywhere to explain the change of the name...Would it be worth the money? I don't know.

-->LUAU

Luau Cove

Yes. If the agreement can't be done, I'm sure Disney will try to change the name to something almost equal to Disney-MGM Studios; that'd be Disney Studios, as sometimes is written in the tour guides.

-->LUAU

Weevil Kneevil

Originally posted by SykedOwt

Thats Because they sometimes shorten it to MGM-Studios or Disney Studios, But the Full Name is Infact Disney's MGM Studios.

Actually the full name is "The Disney-MGM Studios theme park." thats how its written in most brochures and maps on property.
and the cast members arent supposed to refer to the park as MGM studios and Disney's MGM studios because it implies that disney owns MGM instead of it being a combination and licensing dealie between disney and metro goldwyn mayer. also, many cast members(including myself) refer to the park as "the studios."

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Bdis86
But both were half Lucas Films still. :)

Maybe SW, but Indy has nothing to do with Lucasarts other than the games and the fact that Lucas is the producer. If anything, they have more to do with Amblin, since Spielberg directed the trilogy. But as far as I know, they're Paramount, plain and simple.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Weevil Kneevil

Actually the full name is "The Disney-MGM Studios theme park." thats how its written in most brochures and maps on property.
and the cast members arent supposed to refer to the park as MGM studios and Disney's MGM studios because it implies that disney owns MGM instead of it being a combination and licensing dealie between disney and metro goldwyn mayer. also, many cast members(including myself) refer to the park as "the studios."

The name was changed around 1994 from The Disney-MGM Studios theme park to Disney-MGM Studios. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom