MGM News

TURKEY

Original Poster
This is from an article in the Orlando Sentinel. A link to the story can be found in the TV forum. Most of it has to do with TV and promotions and such but there was a little bit on MGM and Disneyland.

But that will expand in Orlando with the ABC Theater at MGM Studios promoting the fall lineup, Jacquee Polak, a Disney World spokeswoman said Thursday.

The theater occupies high-profile turf at MGM -- not far from the park's hub near the towering Sorcerer's Hat -- where pedestrians enter after passing through turnstiles.

A taped comedy, Sounds Dangerous starring Drew Carey, will be replaced with a live, 25-minute show that will include appearances by ABC actors, which is "something new" for MGM, Polak said. "They're going to use the ABC Theater to showcase the whole fall lineup."

Disneyland in Anaheim will also host an ABC Fall Preview Weekend with network stars in a parade and a performance by sitcom star Jim Belushi and his band.

kaos

Before the Beauty and the Beast stage show took over the theater of the stars, there were different ABC tv stars there all the time. Even got autographs from Nancy Kerrigan when she was there. Hmm.. Josh Taylor (Dylan's dad from 90210 and the dad from the Hogan Family and some ABC soap opera) was the last star that I saw there.

LaVieBoheme

Wait a minute....

So does this mean that the theatre where Doug Live and Superstar TV were performed is going to be sitting there, completely empty,? I thought they were going to put the show in that theatre instead of the one where sounds Dangerous is performed. why get rid of an attraction for another when you have the space to keep both????:veryconfu

TURKEY

Original Poster
Re: Wait a minute....

Originally posted by LaVieBoheme
So does this mean that the theatre where Doug Live and Superstar TV were performed is going to be sitting there, completely empty,? I thought they were going to put the show in that theatre instead of the one where sounds Dangerous is performed. why get rid of an attraction for another when you have the space to keep both????:veryconfu

This is my thinking. Doug has been closed long enough so it should already be gutted (if needed) and is ready for whatever new they want to put in there.

Once it opens, Sounds Dangerous will close and be redone for what is next for it. Or it could be closed and have walls knocked down and make it one big area.

Lhriangel

The fall line up parade for Disneyland sounds cool.. now I hope they have some shows I would want to see the stars to. If I'm around in LA when it is going to go on I'll go and take lots and lots of pictures!

mmartin2x

Following up the "taped comedy" show reported in the Sentinel is this, from Screamscape:

2002 - You, ME and ABC / ABC Theater - Rumor - (6/10/02) If the rumors are true the closed ABC Theater who last housed Doug Live, is preparing to open something called You, Me and ABC that may be similar to the Superstar TV, the theater’s original attraction. This new version may feature mainly all of the new shows on ABC this fall and could just be a temp attraction as a few of the new shows are inevitably canceled after airing for only a few weeks. (That’s showbiz folks). Despite the possibility of this being a temporary attraction, this is a good idea for Disney to create some good tie-ins and give audiences a sneak peep at new fall programming. We’ve been informed of a soft opening performance on June 29th and the full opening to follow the next day.

STGRhost

I'm not sure who got their nomenclature mixed up, the newspaper or the WDW rep, but the ABC Theatre, where Doug Live! was performed, is different than the ABC ~Sound~ Theatre, home to Sounds Dangerous. From what I understand, the new "attraction" (such a loose defenition these days) is going into the ABC theatre, to use the empty space, rather than displacing Drew Carrey. But what do I know?!...:lol:

TURKEY

Original Poster
Originally posted by STGRhost
I'm not sure who got their nomenclature mixed up, the newspaper or the WDW rep, but the ABC Theatre, where Doug Live! was performed, is different than the ABC ~Sound~ Theatre, home to Sounds Dangerous. From what I understand, the new "attraction" (such a loose defenition these days) is going into the ABC theatre, to use the empty space, rather than displacing Drew Carrey. But what do I know?!...:lol:

What I said earlier was just speculation. I've got a good source that says Sounds Dangerous is on its last legs (as is the Drew Carey show).

mickeyman

I love the drew carey show. I hope it doesn't get cancelled. I also like sounds dangerous at MGM. I hope that both are around for a while.

Hurricane

I have this feeling that an attraction where you sit in the dark and listen to :::GASP:::: stereo sound might not be a permenant attraction. The idea is kind of cool, but most everyone has a 5. 1 home theater in their house, meaning surround sound is a little dated.

bamboo7

Originally posted by Hurricane
I have this feeling that an attraction where you sit in the dark and listen to :::GASP:::: stereo sound might not be a permenant attraction. The idea is kind of cool, but most everyone has a 5. 1 home theater in their house, meaning surround sound is a little dated.

you could put 5.1 speakers in there, but you wouldn't get nearly the same realistic effect as with high quality stereo headphones.

the_snow_prince

One thing I can't figure out is does this include only a movie showing the programs or does this include a show as well. Doesn't sound too thrilling but it's better than nothing. It might keep the crowds down on some of the other attractions. Keyword: might; the public could have more taste than to sit through a 25 minute commerical.

MKingdom25

Originally posted by Hurricane

I agree alot of people have 5.1 home theater, but I would disagree that it is most. I think there are enough people with a regular setup to enjoy this. I have a regular setup but have friends and family that have the full setup. Either way, I still enjoy this attraction! :)

WDWManic

Originally posted by MKingdom25

I agree alot of people have 5.1 home theater, but I would disagree that it is most. I think there are enough people with a regular setup to enjoy this. I have a regular setup but have friends and family that have the full setup. Either way, I still enjoy this attraction! :)

I have it and i love it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom