Merchandise Shortage

gmajew

Premium Member
The shelves are bare everywhere you go. People think the problem is going always soon it won’t.

I am glad to see big companies having issues as well as I know how hard it has been on my restaurants to get some basic things each week.

JoeCamel

Yeah because the only way it gets fixed is when the biggest players start to complain and raise hell about it.

The restaurant industry has been screaming for months and months about it. Very little people listened.

but when big companies get hurt by it people will actually do something.
Lots of people are feeling the pain of shortages and some things are now made from unobtanium.
I don't know that there is a quick fix to the problem, in many places there is a 6 month gap in the supply line that cannot be filled at once so it will be a year or more until it works down barring more jolts to the chains.

flutas

Just to point out, Disney has definitely not been importing nearly as much in 2021 as before, they imported more in 2020 than 2021.

Whether this comes down to them not ordering items assuming less demand or just not being able to get items, I don't think it has anything to do with trains being robbed or boats not landing. ;)

Screenshot 2022-01-18 122356.png

Screenshot 2022-01-18 122335.png

JoeCamel

Just to point out, Disney has definitely not been importing nearly as much in 2021 as before, they imported more in 2020 than 2021.

Whether this comes down to them not ordering items assuming less demand or just not being able to get items, I don't think it has anything to do with trains being robbed or boats not landing. ;)

View attachment 614775
View attachment 614776
Looks like once they closed the parks they just got what was ordered and haven't ramped up purchasing again or the supply line is empty and it takes time to come back to full capacity. With the supplier's country hoping for a 0 covid policy I would think it may be a while before you can get your new plush. Warehouses are being emptied to keep something on the shelves.
Anyone stop by cast connection to see if the merch buyers are down there getting back all the stuff they dumped out?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Looks like once they closed the parks they just got what was ordered and haven't ramped up purchasing again or the supply line is empty and it takes time to come back to full capacity. With the supplier's country hoping for a 0 covid policy I would think it may be a while before you can get your new plush. Warehouses are being emptied to keep something on the shelves.
Anyone stop by cast connection to see if the merch buyers are down there getting back all the stuff they dumped out?
I have heard that cast connection right now is much heavier in used resort stuff from refurbs than actual park merch.

TP2000

The backup at the megaports of Los Angeles and Long Beach continues to get worse, not better, this month. In fact, the number of ships waiting to get into port to an unloading berth just hit a new high late last week. 135 ships waiting in official or unofficial parking spots until a berth opens up for them in LA or Long Beach.

The Southern California Marine Exchange has updated its tracking just ahead of this past holiday weekend. Here are the ugly stats as of January 14th...

boats.jpg

And once the cargo containers are unloaded in LA and put on trains headed eastbound, it doesn't get easy. Two days ago a Union Pacific cargo train derailed in the exact area where thieves have been ransacking the trains for months. It's not known whether the derailment was an attack on purpose by thieves getting more brazen, or if the train derailed because of all the cargo refuse littering the tracks, or if it's just a coincidence that the train derailed in that exact area. But it took a full day to get the 17 cars back on the tracks and the trains moving again.

Check your tracking numbers. If your package headed to your home or small business is going through California, it might be awhile...

arich35

The backup at the megaports of Los Angeles and Long Beach continues to get worse, not better, this month. In fact, the number of ships waiting to get into port to an unloading berth just hit a new high late last week. 135 ships waiting in official or unofficial parking spots until a berth opens up for them in LA or Long Beach.

The Southern California Marine Exchange has updated its tracking just ahead of this past holiday weekend. Here are the ugly stats as of January 14th...

View attachment 614950

And once the cargo containers are unloaded in LA and put on trains headed eastbound, it doesn't get easy. Two days ago a Union Pacific cargo train derailed in the exact area where thieves have been ransacking the trains for months. It's not known whether the derailment was an attack on purpose by thieves getting more brazen, or if the train derailed because of all the cargo refuse littering the tracks, or if it's just a coincidence that the train derailed in that exact area. But it took a full day to get the 17 cars back on the tracks and the trains moving again.

Check your tracking numbers. If your package headed to your home or small business is going through California, it might be awhile...

Sounds like something our government should be helping with....................................

Crazydisneyfanluke

I wonder how many crates of Christmas 2021 merch just arrived????
Shipments for Halloween Merch are still coming in.

I wouldn't be surprised if they remove years from merch for the next few years until supply chains stabilize.

If you have government interference into the supply chains, there would be an influx of supply. It might make the supply chain issues worse depending on the public reaction to stocked shelves.

Chip Chipperson

I wouldn't be surprised if they remove years from merch for the next few years until supply chains stabilize.

If you have government interference into the supply chains, there would be an influx of supply. It might make the supply chain issues worse depending on the public reaction to stocked shelves.

At this point, they should just donate any dated holiday clothing. Nobody wants to pay full price for Halloween or Christmas merch that has the year on it a month or more after the holiday, so put it to good use by letting those less fortunate have it - and the bean counters can justify it to their penny-pinching overlords by telling them it qualifies as a tax deduction. It will still sting, but maybe that will teach them not to order date-specific merch from overseas during a massive supply chain disruption. Maybe they could find some suppliers in the US that can produce at least some of their merch so they actually have things to put on the shelves, too.

Lilofan

Would the merchandise truck shipment include any Mustang oil filters for Roush and Shelby models ? The local dealers have been out of stock for 6 months.

Crazydisneyfanluke

At this point, they should just donate any dated holiday clothing. Nobody wants to pay full price for Halloween or Christmas merch that has the year on it a month or more after the holiday, so put it to good use by letting those less fortunate have it - and the bean counters can justify it to their penny-pinching overlords by telling them it qualifies as a tax deduction. It will still sting, but maybe that will teach them not to order date-specific merch from overseas during a massive supply chain disruption. Maybe they could find some suppliers in the US that can produce at least some of their merch so they actually have things to put on the shelves, too.
I believe they donated a bunch of dated merch when covid first started, along with all their food.

I think I saw Halloween merch on sale at DL and DCA. There was a new Christmas Merch a few weeks ago there as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Lip service was given to the supply chain issues a few months ago. That's all we'll get out of them.

You read it here first - Disney will pivot to having non-year-specific merchandise starting, with next Halloween. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom