medical care / pharmacy if staying on-site?

amypooh

With this being the flu and strep season (at least in my neck of the woods), and traveling with 3 kids, what might I do if one of us starts feeling ill while staying on site (with no vehicle)?

nepalostparks

Resort gift shops carry some basic over-the-counter medicines for sale.
In the parks, first aid can also help with any sort of illness. If it's serious enough, Disney will even provide transportation for you to a medical facility... I want to say it's called something like Centra-Care... but I could be wrong on the name.

Hopefully you won't have any issues. But if you do, just head to First Aid in the parks, or Front Desk at your resort, and they'll help you!

Upvote 0

erstwo

There are at TON of pharmacies that deliver to the resorts. Just google or pick up the phone book. :)

Otherwise, catch a cab if it is an after hours emergency.

Do bring your clorox wipes and hand sanitizer. A good friend just got back and her kids got a 24 hour stomach virus in the middle of their trip. She attributes it to not wiping down the remote, etc. in the room (of course we all know they could have gotten it anywhere, but you never know!)

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Staying on site your best resource if someone gets ill is contact guest relations. On our recent trip we arrived in the Orlando area the day before check-in and we were visiting our son when DH broke one of his molars and the nerve was exposed. It was Saturday night and I had no clue where to get emergency dental services in Orlando. Well, one phone call directly to our resort, ASMu, that we had not even checked-in to yet and we got the assistance we needed. My call was transferred to Centra Care who then linked me to an emergency on-call dentist. We were asked where we were located and given directions to the dental office. All with one phone call. DH received the care that he needed and our trip was not ruined. The CM I spoke with was just wonderful and we really, really appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
Two trips with 2 kids and we needed medical services both times. The first time my son had an ear infection. We called guest services and they gave us a choice of having transportation to go to the clinic or a doctor come to the room. We thought oh how convenient, the doctor will come to us. So I called to make the appointment and found out it would cost $300 :eek: for the doctor to come to us, which was not reimbursable by insurance. So needless to say my husband took him to the clinic. There is a pharmacy near the clinic. Second year, I spent the morning of the day we were due to start our vacation at my daughter's pediatrician. We had no time to pick up the prescription or we would miss the flight, so we brought it with us and asked the front desk about getting a cab to go to the closest pharmacy. The CM was very nice and told us if we had the Rx she could fax it to the pharmacy and they would deliver it to the front desk. Which is exactly what we did, very good service. The only thing I would say is if you do end up needing to use the clinic, be prepared to wait. When my husband took my son they went right as they opened and we didn't see them until after lunch time. Hopefully third time is a charm and we won't need any medical services this trip.

Upvote 0

Bigeagle

I've seen others reference Turner Drug as a good source for drup store help. They supposedly deliver to the resorts (free maybe) and are located on the east side of I-4, near International Blvd, I think. Google them for their address, but the phone number I keep with me for them (just in case) is 407-828-8125.

Upvote 0

amypooh

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, I've had a co-worker have a child get sick while at the beach and she called her child's hometown physician, described the symptoms, and they were able to fax a prescription to a pharmacy.

Sounds like if this is the case I just need to contact guest services to get a pharmacy recommendation, thanks!

Upvote 0

NWDMD

Staying on site your best resource if someone gets ill is contact guest relations. On our recent trip we arrived in the Orlando area the day before check-in and we were visiting our son when DH broke one of his molars and the nerve was exposed. It was Saturday night and I had no clue where to get emergency dental services in Orlando. Well, one phone call directly to our resort, ASMu, that we had not even checked-in to yet and we got the assistance we needed. My call was transferred to Centra Care who then linked me to an emergency on-call dentist. We were asked where we were located and given directions to the dental office. All with one phone call. DH received the care that he needed and our trip was not ruined. The CM I spoke with was just wonderful and we really, really appreciate the help.

It's always been my dream to be the on-call dentist at WDW.

Upvote 0

kerrie

Last year my Dd got realy sick with high fever and what not and I went to the front desk and asked if they had a medical facility on site. they do not HOWEVER.. they do have a clinic that is right down the road and if you cant driver there a medical perosn will come to your room for 300.00. Sorry i dont remember the name but the resorts have all the info

Upvote 0

Philo

I was quite ill for the first few days of our last trip (I think it's sitting on a plane with poor air circulation for 9 hours). I only needed over the counter medicine and that was freely available.

Like others have said, there are pharmacies that deliver I saw their vans parked at the resorts quite regularly

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

DD got sick on our trip in Jan 2008. She had a sore throat and a temp (102+), we were staying at Pop and I contacted the front desk. The CM told me that they could schedule a van to pick us up and take us to the walk in clinic . The van was at the lobby in about 10 minutes and took us and another little girl and her mom to the walk in clinic for free (I did give the driver a tip but, it's not necessary). The clinic is about 5 minutes off of Disney property and they were great. DD wound up having strep and a double ear infection. we were given a prescription and told to take it right next door to the pharmacy (there is a back door at the clinic that goes right into the pharmacy), they filled her prescription and then the van took us back to Pop. The clinic visit only cost us our insurance co-pay ($20). If you or your children get sick I would highly recommend using this service.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

On call Physician's group number is 407-238-2000, and by the way others have metioned, VERY expensive! Turner Drugs that delivers number is 407-828-8125. I highly recomend going to the clinic, I wished we had had that info on or last trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom