"Mean" Cast Members

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Merlin said:
In the case of the second one, I think that if the CM in question were to spout obscenities back, that would be an unprofessional way of handling it. Something more along the lines of "Sir (or Ma'am), that language is unacceptable. This is a family environment. Please do not speak in that manner."

I just ignored him and called for an entertainment manager on the radio. Ignoring them is sometimes the best thing you can do... that or be so pleasant they think you're being rude to then :D

robynchic

Merlin said:
Likewise, when a CM makes assumptions that an individual guest is going to be "difficult or demanding" simply because they fall into the same category as other guests who WERE that way (i.e. guests who save up to stay at a deluxe resort), this is also an example of stereotyping.

Wow, nice compliment that smacks another person.

I still don't understand why you think you know everything because of a particular firm or company you work for. Just take what we say at face value, because what the CMs are saying are no exaggeration. It is a daily occurrance to have some guest that is harassing, it is a daily occurrance for the entertainment CMs to think "Is this one of the types that may try to hurt me..." to the point that they develop a sixth sense for it.

As I said before, I'm not generalizing the ENTIRE group of people. I'm saying that the guests I have encountered that have been the worst have been in a particular category. I'm looking at a portion of a population. I'm not looking at the population as a generic sum. I will admit, there are certain categories that I do generalize, because the majority of the time that I've dealt with them, there has been some action on their part that has made me feel that my safety may be at risk. But I do not, and will not, look at people and where they are staying as the sole assumption of the type of person they are.

Merlin

Account Suspended
mkt said:
I just ignored him and called for an entertainment manager on the radio. Ignoring them is sometimes the best thing you can do... that or be so pleasant they think you're being rude to then :D

Good for you!! And actually, you're right. In that situation, ignoring them probably IS a better response than the one I suggested.

mkt

Premium Member
well... honestly, I wanted to slap him.. but y'know. I decided to rise above

:lol: :lookaroun

Merlin

Account Suspended
robynchic said:
Wow, nice compliment that smacks another person.

I still don't understand why you think you know everything because of a particular firm or company you work for. Just take what we say at face value, because what the CMs are saying are no exaggeration. It is a daily occurrance to have some guest that is harassing, it is a daily occurrance for the entertainment CMs to think "Is this one of the types that may try to hurt me..." to the point that they develop a sixth sense for it.

As I said before, I'm not generalizing the ENTIRE group of people. I'm saying that the guests I have encountered that have been the worst have been in a particular category. I'm looking at a portion of a population. I'm not looking at the population as a generic sum. I will admit, there are certain categories that I do generalize, because the majority of the time that I've dealt with them, there has been some action on their part that has made me feel that my safety may be at risk. But I do not, and will not, look at people and where they are staying as the sole assumption of the type of person they are.

Here's a direct quote from YOU on post #44 of this thread:
robynchic said:
And the WORST guests are the ones that scrape together the money to stay in a deluxe hotel, with all these special things (character meals, special extras, etc). They EXPECT higher standards because they had to spend SO MUCH MONEY...when there are families that are just as happy staying at a value resort.

That contradicts what you are claiming to have said.

Also, I meant my compliment to Vanessa sincerely. It was not intended to "smack" anyone. But I shouldn't be surprised, at this point, that you would interpret it that way. Most of what you've said in this thread gives me the impression you're a CM who is on edge and who generally interprets guests' actions as an "attack".

Merlin

Account Suspended
mkt said:
well... honestly, I wanted to slap him.. but y'know. I decided to rise above

:lol: :lookaroun

Wanting to do or say something, and having the ability to restrain yourself, is a good quality. Way to go for taking the high road!

mkt

Premium Member
That's probably one of the best things Disney taught me... self-restraint. The other one is how to read people.

Merlin

Account Suspended
robynchic said:
I still don't understand why you think you know everything because of a particular firm or company you work for.

I would never be so presumptious as to believe that I "know everything". What I have is the ability to learn (do you?). And for the record, I don't work for the company I made reference to. They are a renowned organization, but you can always choose to accept or dismiss their definition. I choose to accept it because I think it sums up "stereotyping" quite accurately.

robynchic said:
to the point that they develop a sixth sense for it.

Tell me, was it this "sixth sense" that caused that CM at Epcot to be rude to the guest about the pin? Is it the "sixth sense" that causes a CM to be rude to me after I've barely begun to speak. Is it your "sixth sense" that tells you a guest staying at a deluxe resort is automatically going to be difficult and demanding? You're killing me with this "sixth sense" stuff. :lol: :hammer:

dflye

mkt said:
That's probably one of the best things Disney taught me... self-restraint. The other one is how to read people.
The one thing that Disney taught me is that corporate america has lots of middle managers who have no understanding of the options presented to them when a critical decision needs to be made.

However, this isn't merely a problem at Disney, it is everywhere! :eek:

So, if you're going to get screwed no matter where you work, at least work someplace where they have nice benefits, and the management uses KY when you get the shaft. :lol:

robynchic

Merlin said:
I would never be so presumptious as to believe that I "know everything". What I have is the ability to learn (do you?). And for the record, I don't work for the company I made reference to. They are a renowned organization, but you can always choose to accept or dismiss their definition. I choose to accept it because I think it sums up "stereotyping" quite accurately.

Tell me, was it this "sixth sense" that caused that CM at Epcot to be rude to the guest about the pin? Is it the "sixth sense" that causes a CM to be rude to me after I've barely begun to speak. Is it your "sixth sense" that tells you a guest staying at a deluxe resort is automatically going to be difficult and demanding? You're killing me with this "sixth sense" stuff. :lol: :hammer:

No, you were saying previously that you work for a very good company. And you have been saying all this information that seems rather superfluous. Yes, I do have the capacity to learn, thank you very much. And you haven't gotten the references I've been making to what I do. If you'd like me to be bluntly honest with what I do, I will not say it on a board, but I will say it in private message. Which is where I welcome your commentary to go (rather than other places I COULD say). I will also explain to you what the sixth sense I'm talking about is.

I'm sure that some people on this thread know EXACTLY the kind of sixth sense I'm referring to (and no, it's not a gaydar...:lol: ). And I still would love to see you tolerate the kind of stuff we put up with. Disney does courses for companies that want to learn how they operate. Why don't you look into seeing if they can put you in our shoes for a week?

dflye

Merlin said:
You're killing me with this "sixth sense" stuff. :lol: :hammer:
Call it sixth sense, paranoia, whatever you want, but I certainly believe that it kept me alive commuting by motorcycle in Seattle rush hour traffic for 3 years! :lol:

After enough near misses that you weren't expecting, you eventually begin to "read" when another vehicle is about to commit some violation of your space that could result in an accident.

Eventually it becomes automatic, and you don't even realize that you're doing it, you just naturally provide the space that the other vehicle desires, so that it doesn't mow you down instead.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
mkt said:
Are you sure about the self restraint thing....well.... you have never punched me in the face so I guess so. :lol:

mkt

Premium Member
Master Yoda said:
Are you sure about the self restraint thing....well.... you have never punched me in the face so I guess so. :lol:

ready for this?

My last 2 times at the Adventurers Club, I didn't have a single drop of alcohol. I'm actually cutting back my drinking drastically, and I've been keeping the car at 1500 RPM instead of closer to the redline.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
mkt said:
ready for this?

My last 2 times at the Adventurers Club, I didn't have a single drop of alcohol. I'm actually cutting back my drinking drastically, and I've been keeping the car at 1500 RPM instead of closer to the redline.
That is one heck of a change. Can you revert back to your old ways for a short time? I was really looking forward to that white knuckle thrill ride called "Driving with Rob" on my next visit. :lol:

mkt

Premium Member
Master Yoda said:
That is one heck of a change. Can you revert back to your old ways for a short time? I was really looking forward to that white knuckle thrill ride called "Driving with Rob" on my next visit. :lol:

Ask Bwana Bob about what I did in the MGM parking lot :D

finan03

nighttimewisher said:
every cast member ive delt with has been extremely polite and made the whole experience even more magical. I remember when i was about 6/7, i had just got an ice-cream and was walkin towards my dad, when a sea-gull swooped down and knocked the ice-cream out of my hand and began to eat it off the floor. i was very scared and upset but by the time my mum had reached me, a CM who had seen it happen already had another ice-cream for me.

and it was bigger! :slurp: :D

CM's deserve all the respect you can possibly give them

awww. that'd be ME if i was a CM. polite, curtious, and magical. but i think people are taking them for granted and that's the cause.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom