McMonkey McBean to become suspended monorail?

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
Hi
When I was at IOA yesterday, I noticed that major work was being done on McBean.

- All track appeared to be ripped out of Circus McGurkus. The track that connects it with the loading area was definately gone.
- In all interior areas, the ceiling was ripped apart. Either the vehicles are going to be taller, or the ride will now be suspended.
- In the very back, in what appeared to be a maintainence bay, I saw overhead yellow track at the open end of the building. Maybe that's how the vehicles are transported?

The only thing that makes me think otherwise is that they want to open the ride this year. Converting the entire ride from a standard track to an overhead track would take quite a bit of time.

However, since the ride system hasn't been confirmed by anyone, it's really anybody's guess.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Tekneek

Seems no way it could open this year if they had to change to an overhead track, so that is the only reason I would rule that out for now.

WDWFREAK53

Does anybody else think that this attraction is going to be nowhere near as appealing as the original was suppose to be?

I'm thinking the ceilings are being redone because a different ride vehicle is being used that lifts the passengers higher off of the track than what was originally planned (thus needing to "RAISE THE ROOF!" hehe for clearance.)

dxwwf3

IOA has become so frustrating right now. 5 years ago IOA tried to be a complete theme park, but now the place feels cheap and hasn't had anything worthwile added since opening. That is 7 years without a decent attraction. The idea for IOA was a great one: Open up a full day park on day one that will wow the world. But because there is no room to expand, who knows what the future of IOA will be. I didn't go to UO on this last trip and I don't think I'll be back for a few years. While it may be frustrating, the way Disney opens a park is the best way to do it. Leave 'em wanting more early and constantly expand. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is much room for expansion at IOA and McBean isn't even going to put a dent in the problem.

Tekneek

Have they added anything? Seems like they have been cutting back at IOA for more than a few years now and never adding in.

CTXRover

Since the park debuted, they've opened two new rides that I can recall, both off-the-shelf type rides. The first being the Flying Unicorn coaster in TLC and the second being Storm Force in MSHI. They've cut Triceratops Encounter/Trail with no replacement, messed with Poseidon's Fury to make it less entertaining imo, and cut some street entertainment here and there. I don't remember there being anything permanent in the Toon Lagoon theater, but if there was, there is nothing there now.

IOA opened strong, but with nothing new of any importance in 7 years with still nothing in the near horizon, it will have a hard time continuing to succeed. It takes a good 2 years to build a solid new ride from excavation to opening, so it probably won't see anything before its 9th birthday at the earliest. If that happens, I guess its not too bad when you consider it took AK to its 8th birthday to open something as major as Everest. But as mentioned before, IOA opened as a built-out park with little room for any major expansions, which will probably plague the future of this park.

daguru

I have the same opinion about IOA and I told my wife about it the first time we went through IOA (approx 4 years ago). I said that that built it with no expansion possible and that the park is going to get old quickly.

We have annual passes to IOA/USO and hardly go, because it is the same old thing. That and it always looks "dirty" and run down, I don't think they do as good of a job at upkeep as Disney does.

The layout they went with does not allow expansion. The only way to add new would be to replace existing rides, unless they start to put more rides over the lagoon.

I have read somewhere (message boards) that they have enough room for about 1-2 more parks. Maybe their plan is to let IOA get run into the ground and then open a new park (like IOA and USO).

Who knows.....I haven't been back since they close the Ghostbusters/Beetlejuice show at USO anyways....

Michael72688

There are two huge pieces of land for expansion, both of which are near JPRA. There is also some land where Maldaken was for HHN that could be used for expansion, behind Doom and the Trike Encounter. As for new parks you will never see a new park at Universal Orlando, the land they have now is too small to support a park, two hotels and maybe Wet n' Wild, but thats it. Sadly I dont think Universal will ever open up more parks in Orlando.

dxwwf3

I really wish Universal would demolish the theater in between Marvel and Toon Lagoon and put a nice E ticket there. I have never seen the Sinbad show, but would that theater be big enough to support the HHN shows? That is about all that is ever in that theater anymore.

Michael72688

No, you forgot Matt Hoffmans Crazy Freakin Stunt Show. I really wonder how many years they can keep bringing that back? I hope it comes down, they should build a Rocky and Bullwinkle water coaster kinda like the RollerSoaker at Hershey park but keep it really themed, it would also make for a nice entrace to Toon Lagoon.

CTXRover

daguru said:
I have read somewhere (message boards) that they have enough room for about 1-2 more parks. Maybe their plan is to let IOA get run into the ground and then open a new park (like IOA and USO).

Back in the day, Universal had big plans for the UO resort after IOA. Unfortunately, the IOA/citywalk expansions are still not paying for themselves. Partially as a result, 2 or so years ago Universal sold off what was referred to as the Lockheed estate to another developer. It was this major tract of land near UO that was to hold more parks and hotels. With that land sold off, there is little to no land left for any major parks to ever be added to the UO resort. With as saturated as the Orlando market is already, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing either. Still, for them, it was a shame to give up that land so easily to help pay off their debt.

JROK

But I don't necessarily think it's UO fault... it's gone through what, 3 different owners in it's short 15 1/2 years of operation? You figure you lose the first and last year of each ownership because of the whole selling and buying process and that leaves you with around 9 years of operation... that's really not a lot to get settled down and start a theme park... Disney has been at it with the same owners (besides president changes but even then they lasted for like 15 years each)... UO is young, they just need time to grow up and get in a groove...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom