May Question...

VT GAL

Hi!

We are headed down May 17-21, and the crowd calendar on touringplans says that they are 8's and 9's. Is there something going on that week that I missed? We have been down in May for the past 3 years and it has never been this busy.

I am just starting to get a little worried that it is going to be a little crazy...

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Shelley

We are going about that same time. I saw the same thing on touring plans. I have not heard about anything special going on. I'm hoping touringplans is wrong. It seems really odd to have such high crowd levels. I'm not any help, just wanted you to know I'm in the same boat.

Upvote 0

VT GAL

Original Poster
We are going about that same time. I saw the same thing on touring plans. I have not heard about anything special going on. I'm hoping touringplans is wrong. It seems really odd to have such high crowd levels. I'm not any help, just wanted you to know I'm in the same boat.

You were of great help, because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy thinking that it wasn't that busy before! :p I am hoping that they are wrong, too!

Have a great trip!!!!!!

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Hey there VT Gal, I have went to Disney several times during that time in May. I will say that on certain days, certain parks are pretty crowded. You will definitely need to get fastpasses for the major attractions. But the crowd level is no where near as crazy as the summer months. I think you will be fine and the weather in May is beautiful. Have a wonderful trip.

Upvote 0

pax_65

This has come up in several threads recently, but no one can explain any logic behind TP's expected crowd levels for May.

I go in late April/early May almost every year. Two years ago, I know Disney hotels were almost completely full. The parks were busy, but very manageable - you just had to be smart, use Fastpass, get into the parks early, etc. It wasn't a big deal.

So if Disney's promotions are driving more people to Disney hotels this year, I still fail to see why the parks could be more crowded than two years ago when Disney's hotels were full. In this economy, I doubt outside hotels will be crowded in May, surely not like Easter week or a day in Summer when the kids are out of school.

Upvote 0
I'm headed to the World on May 8 for a week and I saw the same thing on Touring Plans.. 8's and 9's for the whole time we are there. Again I hope that this estimate is wrong. I figure it will be a bit busier with the promotions, but that much busier, I hope not. Guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
:wave:Hi, the week after you arrive with be Star Wars time it's about 2-3 weeks long I believe. I think some of that crowd issues will be some of them getting in early people who will be doing shows etc I think. Not too sure though. Here is the touring plan site http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=14
I would not believe this site too much, take it with a grain of salt, they have been wrong in the past.
Just go and have fun regardless ok. Enjoy your time :animwink:Take care & have a Magical Day now.
~Tinkerchelli~

Upvote 0

nancy33458

Thanks, it shows an 8 for most of the days we will be there, but I have never found it to be that busy at that time of year. I know Star Wars is there after we leave but I wouldn't think that would impact it that much. We'll see when we get there, we'll have fun either way.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Actually, I was just reading the Dateline Disney article at allearsnet and there are some things going on for May that could be contributing to the higher numbers on touringplans:

First of all, the 1st phase of Kidaani Village (DVC @ Animal Kingdom Lodge) will be opening along with the new restaurant Saana on May 1st. Then you have Star Wars Weekends kicking off on May 22nd. The Muddy Buddy Ride & Run will be going on at the Wide World of Sports on May 9th which is expected to draw 3,500 participants + their family & friends who will come to support them and have some Disney fun. May 15-16 Wide World of Sports will be hosting the Florida Special Olympics Summer Games which will be bringing in 2,000 + athletes with their families and friends. And, of course, May is the last month of the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot so people will still be coming to see that. I used to think of F&G as not such a big deal until I happened to see it last year. Now Epcot looks drab without all the beautiful additions for the festival. LOL!

Don't focus too much on the touringplans numbers. Do your homework, have a good strategy, and even busy times in the parks can be enjoyable. Remember, you're at Disney. A bad day at WDW always beats a good day at home/work. :wave:

Upvote 0

pcarathers

Regardless of the crowds, we will be there May 9-16...can't wait!!! ready to go.....Can't be any worse than our last trip week before Christmas was really crowded but we managed just fine

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I can't quite understand the 8&9 ratings either, but if you have a strategy, and get to the parks at opening, you will have a few hours (and fastpasses for a few extra hours) without serious crowding.

For Star Wars weekends, of course the bigger draw at Studios is on the weekend, so you can avoid that with weekday visits, although the Star Wars experience is pretty interesting even if you aren't a SW geek.

Likewise, MK tends to be heaviest, particularly on weekends, so plan accordingly.

We survived Easter week doing most everything we wanted to, so it can be done without exceptional effort.

Upvote 0

durangojim

We're going May 7-13 and it's 8s and 9s as well. I don't believe that will be the case. Kids are still in school, Mother's day is the only holiday, and there's little reason why the parks will be busy.

Upvote 0

KCMO

We are there the 10th-16th. I have been skeptical of the 8's and 9's as well since you would think most everyone would still be in school. But perhaps they did indeed get a big surge of folks looking to take advantage of the tail end of 4/3, school-be-damned?

Upvote 0

fosse76

We are there the 10th-16th. I have been skeptical of the 8's and 9's as well since you would think most everyone would still be in school. But perhaps they did indeed get a big surge of folks looking to take advantage of the tail end of 4/3, school-be-damned?

Many schools get out around that time...plus as is mentioned in a post above, there seems to be a special event each weekend...which drives the crowds up.

Upvote 0

KC82271

I have a friend that was down there last week and when talking to CMs, they said that the crowds were dying off this week only to start climbing again the end of next week and throughout May.

I was there last year and the year before on May 1st. A few days before and a few after. I was a bit concerned when I saw that Disney just changed the park hours for next week - adding hours to different parks on different days. However, when I compared the file to last year's spreadsheet I did, the hours are exactly a bit shorter this year.

Those going next week might want to stay away from DHS on Friday and Saturday the first and second. DHS is celebrating it's 20th anniversary and there are plans for the celebration. I don't know why it would draw a huge crowd, but it appears that there are many people on planning on going their Fri & Sat.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

We're going May 7-13 and it's 8s and 9s as well. I don't believe that will be the case. Kids are still in school, Mother's day is the only holiday, and there's little reason why the parks will be busy.

Actually, last May when hubby and I were there May 9 - 18 towards the end of our stay things started to get busier. We talked with a lot of parents and overheard many of them say that they had taken their kids out of school for the final week of school because most don't do anything that week and/or those are abbreviated weeks. My nieces' last day this year is May 12th, I think. Not all schools are like my kids' with a June 5th ending date. And when we thought about it, May would be a great time to take my kids out of school (not that I could do it a 2nd week this year) because all the standardized/benchmark testing is completed by the end of April.

Upvote 0

VT GAL

Original Poster
Hi everyone!

Thanks you so much for all of your responses!!!

I think we are going to take it easy, and take some time to really relax rather than running like we usually do! I hope that the crowd calendar is wrong, but if it's right it may be blessing in disguise!

I hope that everyone who is going has a great trip!!!

Shelley

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Just like all the other May'ers

I was concerned at first, as we've been going the first week of May for the last 3 years.
Once I realized I couldn't do anything about it, I decided to plan accordingly and do what we do every year:
Go have the time of our lives and kick the cr*p out of WDW again! :king:

See all my fellow May'ers at rope drop! :)

POR May - 4 -11!!!

10 days away!! WHAT???!!! Oh yeah baby!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom