Trip Report Mask up for the August Alternate 2020 Trip

Hello friends! My husband and I just got back about a week ago from our WDW trip, it was strange, hot, fun, and in a way unexpected. I'll start with some quick details:

Who: Me (Am) and my husband (Brad)
When: August 6-20, 2020
Resort: Pop Century (was scheduled for All Star Sports)

Let me explain my title a little: We were scheduled to travel to WDW in June the 21st through July 5. It was going to be epic.....we would be there over our birthdays, 15th wedding anniversary, and had a couple of Magic meetups planned. That trip didn't happen. While planning our trips at home I always come up with some sort of title for our trips to give it a little excitement. Well, shortly after the shut down in March, about 2 weeks after the parks closed I had a feeling that my June trip wouldn't happen so hubs and I looked at the calendar and figured out a date when we could go to WDW, we had to plan around some of his church activities (all got cancelled) and a girls trip to California for me (cancelled too). So in late March I booked a two week stay at the Sports. But all while planning including the frustrating day in June to get park reservations and the day I cancelled June/July I was never able to build up much excitement for this August trip. So I always stayed labeled in my planning things as the August Alternate trip, how generic! So I had hope that the trip would happen but I was convinced something would happen and we wouldn't be able to go.

Fast forward to the first week of August, days before leaving. I get an email from my boss (principal) asking what my travel dates to Florida were so they could be consistent on teachers traveling and returning back to work. My return date was 4 days before I would start back to work for inservice so no time to quarantine if he asked me to! Ugh! I couldn't lie to my boss and I couldn't ignore his email. Well he didn't ask me to quarantine but he did ask that I get a Covid test upon my return and then quarantine if needed or until my results came back. He asked if I wanted to come in an work a day so that if something happened I would have had time to work to get my classroom ready and he said I could bank it as a day worked so I wouldn't have to use a day if I did quarantine. So that's what I did. In a way it was surreal to be back working in my room, which was the day before we left for WDW. As I was working in my room that day I had a flash, the last day I worked a full day in my classroom was before I went to WDW in March! Whoa! So with a fully day of work banked, suitcases packed, it looked like our Alternate trip was really happening!

*Spoiler alert: my Covid test came back negative, it was probably too early to take it when I came back but it satisfied my boss. Also neither of us have had any symptoms of Covid upon return so looks like we might have stayed safe.

Okay, let's begin......

August 6, 2020

Our flight out of Minneapolis left at 8:20 am so our plan was to wake up around 4 am get ready and drive to the airport. Who sleeps before a trip! We were up around 3am but we didn't leave until around 4:15am. I got a great parking deal at a Park n Fly for our two week park that was like $7 a day so much cheaper than the small airport lot at $15 a day! Does anyone remember the old WDW information station that used to play the song "I'm Going to Disney World"? I have that song and usually play it on the way to the airport and I played it as we pulled into the Park N Fly lot. I didn't play it before I didn't want to jinx us!

The airport was really strange, usually it is such a hub bub of activity but today it was so strange because there weren't many people. Security was a walk up and we were through in less than 2 minutes! We got breakfast at the Caribou Coffee near our gate and spent time just relaxing in our masks waiting. Our flight was on Delta and they did a great job on the flight. When we boarded we were handed wipes to wipe our area, they reminded people about masks, and during flight we were handed a snack pack in a plastic bag with water,chocolate covered pretzels, cheez-its, napkin and hand sanitizer. The middle seat was empty so we had our own row and Brad watched Star Wars something and I watched the Downton Abbey movie (I'd rewatched the series before leaving so this pleased me to rewatch movie too).

The airport in Minneapolis.
IMG_5058.JPG

Flights on time, and plane is here! It's happening! It's really happening!
IMG_5059.JPG

Waiting at the gate
IMG_5060.JPG

On the plane, looking out! Different from my last flight in March. No snow on the ground this time!
IMG_5062.JPG

Ready for flight!
IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

And we've made it to Orlando!!! Again the airport was pretty empty and we had to retrieve our own luggage this time.
IMG_5065.JPG

And here we are at Magical Express, not too many people in line. I think when we came in March this is where we started our line up to check in.
IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

There was a sign that said our wait could be an hour and the ME agent said that too but from check in to the bus pulling away it was less than 20 minutes which is shorter than some of the pre-Covid trips we have had.
IMG_5068.JPG

Coming up: arrival at WDW and will there be tears?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 12, 2020

We hung around for quite awhile. Probably not as long as I would have if I had been alone, but B gets a little antsy hanging back at park close. I think he thinks he will be stranded there and the buses won't take him back, which doesn't sound too bad to me. But I guess I'll wait to get night castle pictures another time, it probably wouldn't have been dark by the time they would have ushered us out anyway.

We was a nice evening though and at least we did see the lights on Main Street.
IMG_6519.JPG
IMG_6525.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6531.JPG
IMG_6534.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 13, 2020

This morning was another golfing day for Brad. Before he left he got a couple loads of laundry going, and put them in the dryer before taxiing over to the golf course. When the dryer was done I went down to get the clothes. No one else was in the laundry room but a few loads were in the washing and drying machines. I was going to sort the laundry in the room but since no one was around that that nice big table was there I gave it a wipe and sorted the laundry.

Then I noticed something that wasn't mine and I was pretty sure wasn't Brad's either. So I took a quick pic to send him. In a way it was kind of funny but also skeeved me out a little. Brad clearly had not checked either the washer or dryer before putting in our clothes. I opted to believe in my mind that these things had now been washed twice and magically didn't contaminate my clothes. When I headed back to the room I left them on the table so hopefully the owner found them.

IMG_6535.JPG

It was time for me to head out for the day. I had breakfast booked at Trattoria al Forno. Brad and I were meeting up at Epcot later and this seemed like a good spot to have breakfast then go to Epcot. When I got in line for the Skyliner it was backed up to the 50's section and still had about 15 minutes before opening. I was concerned that I wouldn't make my reservation because the Epcot line wasn't open yet so my plan was to Skyline to Hollywood Studios and walk to the Boardwalk. I contemplated taking an Uber but the cheapskate side of me and the side that likes taking the Skyliner won out.
IMG_6536.JPG
IMG_6538.JPG

It was a fast, sweaty walk to the Boardwalk. The Boardwalk was empty, which was disconcerting and lovely too. But I didn't have much time to enjoy it I had a breakfast to get to and I don't like to be late. So if I had listened to my gut and taken the Uber I could have enjoyed a leisurely stroll on the Boardwalk. Note to self: Amy don't be cheap!
IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_6545.JPG

The check-in people were very nice, even though I was about 5 minutes late. And soon I was seated, nicely spaced away from others with a press pot of coffee. And WOW! I thought Kona pressed pot coffee was great, but Trattoria's was even better (later at Disney Springs I bought 2 bags of it). I had never eaten at Trattoria al Forno before and really hadn't paid much attention to any mention of it. Well, that was a mistake, in the way of not eating there before now. I really enjoyed my breakfast there. I had arrived rushed and sweating and I left full, happy, and relaxed. My waitress was very nice and the right amount of friendly and unlike my Kona waitress from a few days ago she didn't rush me at all, even offering another cup of coffee for the road when my pressed pot was didn't offer up any more for me to take with. I didn't take her up on it, which was stupid of me.
IMG_6546.JPG

I got the Italian omelet and chose to get both bacon and sausage on the side with it. Good choice! I was concerned about red sauce (Sunday gravy) on an omelet but I figured I eat pizza sometime for breakfast so it wasn't too far off. I ended up asking for more of the Sunday gravy. I really enjoyed breakfast here and I'm now eager to try dinner AND go back for breakfast.
IMG_6549.JPG
IMG_6550.JPG
IMG_6552.JPG

I took a quick look in the Abracadabar, maybe I'll enjoy a drink there someday.
IMG_6553.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 13, 2020

I made my way over Epcot but passed a sad sight on the Boardwalk...no more Ample Hills. Oh poop! It seems though that Ample Hills was bought by another company and they still ship their ice cream nationwide so technically I can still get the Nona's Oatmeal Lace cookie ice cream, but it is expensive.

IMG_6557.JPG
IMG_6558.JPG
IMG_6559.JPG

Once in Epcot I headed for Future World and the Land.
IMG_6563.JPG
IMG_6568.JPG
IMG_6569.JPG

The farm ride/Living with the Land was first on the agenda!
IMG_6579.JPG
IMG_6586.JPG

Then a flight on Soarin'
IMG_6588.JPG

I decided to be brave and take some pictures while on the ride, I was worried the whole time I was going to drop my phone. But I held on tight and we (the phone and I) survived.
IMG_6607.JPG

Minnesota disney fan

Your pictures are really great, Amy!
I can't get over how deserted the MK seemed. You must have hit it at the right time, as it seems things are a bit more crowded now.
You guys got the "sweet spot" with low crowds.
BTW, I always get wet on Splash, LOL. Don't believe what others tell you;)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 13, 2020

I had seen a post on Instagram that part of the new fountain in front of Spaceship Earth had been installed and it was reminiscent of the original fountain. I was a huge fan of the old fountain and had seen the old panels for sale on Ebay a long time ago and briefly considered bidding. Why? I had no room to put them but I loved them and the idea of original Epcot brings back fond childhood memories. I was talked out of bidding on them. Anyway, I was very excited to see what I could....

Also around this point I ditched my disposable mask for my figment one.
IMG_6621.JPG

As I rounded the corner I caught a glimpse of the new fountain and I must admit I teared up. Just seeing this was so pretty, I can't wait to see it all finished. I ended up doing a little photo shoot of the new fountain area before heading for a ride on Spaceship Earth.
IMG_6625.JPG
IMG_6627.JPG
IMG_6628.JPG
IMG_6630.JPG
IMG_6634.JPG
IMG_6638.JPG
IMG_6648.JPG
IMG_6655.JPG
IMG_6656.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
You got some fabulous pictures - thanks for sharing them 😊

Thank you! I'm happy that I'm able to share.

Your pictures are really great, Amy!
I can't get over how deserted the MK seemed. You must have hit it at the right time, as it seems things are a bit more crowded now.
You guys got the "sweet spot" with low crowds.
BTW, I always get wet on Splash, LOL. Don't believe what others tell you;)

Yes, I'm really glad we went when we did. It is most certainly an experience that we will never get again. I was looking at wait times yesterday and they seemed to be like pre-Covid waits. I really was watching people on Splash come out dry or relatively dry so I felt like maybe I might stay relatively dry too, but it was not to be. I had heard rumors of people not getting too wet on Kali River Rapids either but after Splash I knew not to trust the rumors! I wanted to ride Kali but didn't chance it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 13, 2020

After exiting Imagination we saw Pooh over by the walkway to the Imagination bathrooms and the Land. He was really cute and posed for some fun pictures. Then we headed over to World Showcase to graze some the of the Food and Wine booths for lunch.
IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG
IMG_6707.JPG

We had enjoyed the Impossible meatball in March and enjoyed it again this time. The slider was good too.
IMG_6713.JPG

Time for some 3 Caballeros! And an avocado margarita!
IMG_6714.JPG
IMG_6715.JPG

Next up: China. The areas to sit in the main promenade were taken so I headed over to the little garden area while B got the food. This view was better anyway.
IMG_6718.JPG

I forget what the bao bun was, it was okay but not super exciting. The dumpling was okay, B enjoyed them more than I did.
IMG_6724.JPG

Next up Germany! There weren't any beer flights offered at any of the booths but I wanted all 3 of the beers offered so I got the trial size (6 oz) option of each of them and I guess I made my own flight! All three were very good. We also got the noodle thing and the bratwurst to share. The cheesy noodle thing was good, we had eaten it other years and just like before we liked it but thought it needed salt and for the onions to be cooked more.
IMG_6726.JPG
IMG_6727.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 13, 2020

We ended our tour for the afternoon with treats in Japan.

Brad got the poke/sushi flower pot thing for himself. We shared the teriyaki chicken bao (good) and the frothy ramen (not great). I got the strawberry sake, so yummy! I could probably drink a whole bottle with no problems, well at least no problems until I had drunk a whole bottle! If anyone remembers drinking Tequila Rose, my girlfriends and I were big fans of it in college, the strawberry sake tastes similar to that.
IMG_6735.JPG

Yummy!
IMG_6739.JPG

We wandered for awhile.
IMG_6745.JPG

We ended up watching the France shows, Beauty and the Beast one and then the good one....Impressions de France.
IMG_6746.JPG
IMG_6748.JPG

We got more cheese bread and this was fresh out of the oven and so good. It started to rain right as we finished this but it was close to closing time anyway so we headed out.
IMG_6753.JPG
IMG_6754.JPG

A poor attempt at a reflection shot.
IMG_6755.JPG

By the time we got to the front the rain had lessened and that meant nighttime photoshoot of SSE!
IMG_6760.JPG
IMG_6771.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 13, 2020

And the rest of my photoshoot with SSE before we headed out. We had seen lightning as we finished our cheese bread so we knew that the Skyliner wasn't an option so we didn't even try to head back to that area and just used the bus from the front of the park.

Seeing the new fountain stuff somewhat lit up made me teary again. Not as much because hubs was around this time so I held back. Now I was even more excited to see the completed work. I hope it will be unveiled soon. I think my plan will be to get a Joffrey's coffee and sit in the area and just admire it when it is complete.

IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6776.JPG
IMG_6780.JPG
IMG_6781.JPG
IMG_6793.JPG
IMG_6794.JPG
IMG_6799.JPG
IMG_6807.JPG
IMG_6808.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom