Mask Mandates Dropping For Disney Transportation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Chipperson

I don't think it is easier for Disney to reverse course than it is for the airlines. If they return the air travel mandate there are going to be literal riots in airports and on some flights.

The airlines dropped the requirement instantly, during flights in some cases. There's no reason Disney can't just make a policy change effective at noon. Or they could just instruct the CMs to stop enforcing it.

Air Marshals are there to prevent hijackings and other terrorist incidents. They would not reveal themselves to enforce a mask rule. If they did, a terrorist group could expose the air marshal by having someone refuse to wear a mask before their planned attack.

Airports also have a police presence to enforce the mandate. Disney buses don't. There would not be "literal riots" in airports. It hasn't happened yet, has it? Most travelers comply with the rule whether they like it or not.

As for the Air Marshall, I'm talking about the passengers who get violent, not just the anti-maskers pouting as they try to claim they're taking one continuous sip of their water for the duration of their flight.

Disney also has to consider last-minute cancelations when ending or reinstating a mandate for their buses. Flight tickets are usually nonrefundable because the refundable option is more money - and if the rule changes during your trip you still have to get home, so the choices become either fly and comply with the mask rule or try to rent a car and drive home (assuming the trip is drivable) at the cost of extra time and money. Then there's the PR hit if Disney has to reinstate the mandate and customers cause a stink. People are accustomed to airlines treating us like dirt, but Disney still has a reputation for great customer service (despite the opinion of many here or on other forums). They've had a lot of bad press lately, so I can understand why they might take a cautious approach here and see where the chips fall before making a decision.

GimpYancIent

Disney marketing is probably brain storming as we speak how to create an exclusive designer / collector edition mask series commemorating Disney surviving the mask mandate era. Of course, to maintain its collectors' value the special decorative packaging needs to remain unopened.

GimpYancIent

Airports also have a police presence to enforce the mandate. Disney buses don't. There would not be "literal riots" in airports. It hasn't happened yet, has it? Most travelers comply with the rule whether they like it or not.

As for the Air Marshall, I'm talking about the passengers who get violent, not just the anti-maskers pouting as they try to claim they're taking one continuous sip of their water for the duration of their flight.

Disney also has to consider last-minute cancelations when ending or reinstating a mandate for their buses. Flight tickets are usually nonrefundable because the refundable option is more money - and if the rule changes during your trip you still have to get home, so the choices become either fly and comply with the mask rule or try to rent a car and drive home (assuming the trip is drivable) at the cost of extra time and money. Then there's the PR hit if Disney has to reinstate the mandate and customers cause a stink. People are accustomed to airlines treating us like dirt, but Disney still has a reputation for great customer service (despite the opinion of many here or on other forums). They've had a lot of bad press lately, so I can understand why they might take a cautious approach here and see where the chips fall before making a decision.
Disney P.R. has been poor at best lately. Absolutely there is no desire to risk getting something blowing back in their faces, but a decision and announcement needs to be made. Just don't let Bob do it.

Mark52479

I wonder if there will even be an announcement with this one. Just an update on their webpage and call it a day.

CaptainAmerica

This just reads so backwards to me. Disney unilaterally upholding an unpopular mandate is an example of good customer service?

If cases spike a month from now and they need to put the mandate back, put the mandate back in a month. But at least the people visiting in between now and then wouldn't have to put up with it unnecessarily.

Texas84

Can't wait to go back to WDW and ride a bus without a mask. Oh wait, I did that on my last trip. Never mind...

Mark52479

Being reported on Twitter White House has officially said they will NOT appeal.

End of week (more likely end of day) masks gone on Disney transportation.

Chip Chipperson

This just reads so backwards to me. Disney unilaterally upholding an unpopular mandate is an example of good customer service?

If cases spike a month from now and they need to put the mandate back, put the mandate back in a month. But at least the people visiting in between now and then wouldn't have to put up with it unnecessarily.

No, I'm saying that ending it today and then bringing it back in a few days if the feds appeal would be a bad look for them. Sure, they could say, "We were following the court ruling when we ended it," but the angry guests will still he angry about being jerked around. So while the status quo may anger some people, that anger will only grow if they go back and forth with the mask requirement in a matter of days. Compared to a flight (or a train/bus pass), it's easier to cancel a Disney trip and stop going altogether because you're not happy with them.

mmascari

I wonder if there will even be an announcement with this one. Just an update on their webpage and call it a day.
That would be my guess. Gonna need a change ticket, a release window, layout approval, manager sign off. Probably someone right now deciding if they should remove the "Face Coverings" part of the drop down or just update "Face Coverings" section of the experience page. Likewise, deciding if they remove the entire "Face Coverings" section of the experience page or just change the one check mark to the word Optional.

Obviously, just changing that check mark to the word Optional would be super fast and could probably be done instantly.

However, someone probably brought up the idea of removing everything related to "Face Coverings" from the web site to put the whole thing in the past as just not existing anymore. They're fighting with someone who says they need some guidelines still to deal with people who choose to wear them. Otherwise, someone will show up with a full on costume mask claiming it's just an optional COVID mask and not breaking any costume rules.

Design by committee is always fun.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has updated its mask policy - masks are now optional on all forms of transportation

"Face coverings are optional for Guests in both outdoor and indoor locations, as well as Disney transportation. It is recommended Guests who are not fully vaccinated continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, including indoor attractions and theaters and on enclosed transportation."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney has updated its mask policy - masks are now optional on all forms of transportation

"Face coverings are optional for Guests in both outdoor and indoor locations, as well as Disney transportation. It is recommended Guests who are not fully vaccinated continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, including indoor attractions and theaters and on enclosed transportation."
There it is. Thanks as usual for being quick to the punch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom