Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

Sped2424

Original Poster
Book is Not the Cover video...

yoda-advice-featured-1.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, it's now the second weekend of the last market MPR opened in, and so we can close the books on how it did at the B.O. (even though it might eke out a million or two more).

Using the usual ballpark metrics, MPR had about a $27 million deficit in the theatrical window. Though, MPR will easily make this up in the post-theatrical window and provide the parks with two signature songs. Here's how MPR did compared to other Disney Studios films since 2015...

seascape

Well, it's now the second weekend of the last market MPR opened in, and so we can close the books on how it did at the B.O. (even though it might eke out a million or two more).

Using the usual ballpark metrics, MPR had about a $27 million deficit in the theatrical window. Though, MPR will easily make this up in the post-theatrical window and provide the parks with two signature songs. Here's how MPR did compared to other Disney Studios films since 2015...

View attachment 349377
If you actually believe you profit numbers no company would make movies. The production costs include massive overhead built in profits. As for Disney's percentage of the box office, they get more than other studios. Don't feel sorry for these movies because only a couple of them lost money while the others were all profitable.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
If you actually believe you profit numbers no company would make movies. The production costs include massive overhead built in profits. As for Disney's percentage of the box office, they get more than other studios. Don't feel sorry for these movies because only a couple of them lost money while the others were all profitable.

I could very easily show you the numbers for Pixar, LucasFilm, and Marvel to show you how a studio can make a profit on the majority of their films, but I'll use one you wouldn't expect...

Keep your budget down and you can make money in the theatrical window.

Disney Studios, in aggregate, just barely breaks even in the theatrical window. Their occasionally blockbuster makes up for all the losers. But, as I mentioned, Disney can afford to do that since many of their movies do well in the post-theatrical window.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'm really proud of myself for figuring out that the weasel, fox, and wolf in the Royal Doulton bowl are voiced by the characters from the bank that are trying to take the Banks' house.o_O

takes bow

(I read the credits.)

Well, a cover is not the book.
So, open it up and take a look.
'Cause under the covers one discovers
That the king bank president may be a crook

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So...guess this was a one off reboot? Anyone hear anything interesting about more movies?

It pretty much broke even in the theatrical window, so, not a huge hit in the theaters. But, that means everything post-theatrical (DVD, cable, TV, streaming) will be mostly pure profit. Disney films such as this tend to have an ever-increasing popularity simply because they are Disney. The music is perfect for parades and park soundtracks. And it seems the Travers' estate has lifted the restraints for park franchising of Mary Poppins, both the original and the new, which also helps boost the movie IP.

So, while there are no plans right now... Disney Studios is on track to move away from original pictures and book adaptations (which almost always loose money) and instead do live action/CGI remakes and franchise movies that do indeed make a profit. So, this is a well I'm sure they'll come back to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom