Marvel's Next Step

RSoxNo1

Once upon a time maybe, but now I don't think they could even come close to what Universal has done with Spiderman, Mummy and Potter.

Disney's heart just isn't in it anymore. They've rested on their laurels too long, grown fat and happy.

While I agree on those three attractions, let's acknowledge that the Universal parks have built 3 roller coasters that are major eyesores to those parks. Perhaps it's my Disney rose colored glasses, but the stateside Disney comparisons (Screamin', Primeval Whirl, and Goofy's Sky School) are better themed than their Universal counterparts.

I'd be far more satisfied with Universal and IOA if The Hulk, Dragon Challenge and Rip Ride Rockit are replaced with themed experiences. I enjoy Rip Ride Rockit as a coaster (lukewarm at best on the others), but I really think they're out of place.

Magenta Panther

More Disneyland, I suppose, but who knows what surprises the future holds :shrug:???

Marvel's Next Step: Disneyland
The studio boss on Marvel's theme park aspirations.

April 19, 2011 April 19, 2011 April 19, 2011
0diggsdigg
by Jim Vejvoda

Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, has big hopes for Marvel now that they're part of the Walt Disney family, including having Marvel's stable of iconic characters become fixtures at Disney theme parks around the world. We've got an exclusive advance look at a new interview Feige did for the upcoming summer issue of Disney twenty-three magazine, the quarterly publication of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club.

"It's the biggest dream of all. We get to tap into this spectacular team that is better than anyone else on the planet at bringing fantasy to life, not only on the big screen but in the real world," said Feige.

He continued, "The notion of walking into a theme park and going into Asgard or the X-Mansion—Disney does this better than anyone. "

True, but let's hope that in this case, it doesn't. :mad:

Magenta Panther

Bleh, not too enthusiastic about seeing Marvel anywhere on Disney property...

ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

But if Marvel characters must infest the Disney parks, I hope they're limited to ONE ride in Hollywood Studios. Just like Indiana Jones, Star Wars and the Muppets have ONE attraction each. That way it wouldn't impinge too much on the Disney ambience.

gmajew

Premium Member
Disney should use Marvel and its assets in the best way that they can where they can! Is Magic Kingdom the place maybe maybe not! I am not sure but I can promise that when they marvel assets start making there way into the Disney world it will be done with class and the young boys and families will think it is incredible! Just like this new generation does with the Pixar stuff in the parks!

My 7 and 3 year old son loves seeing woody and Buzz in the parks! Just like they love seeing Mickey and crew! To them they all fit in the same world! Because Disney does one thing better then anyone and that is market and brand there products, and create believable experiences for them to live in!

menamechris

Once upon a time maybe, but now I don't think they could even come close to what Universal has done with Spiderman, Mummy and Potter.

Disney's heart just isn't in it anymore. They've rested on their laurels too long, grown fat and happy.

I agree. It seems like we have all Roy - and no Walt - at the top these days...

JCorduroy

Why would Disney buy Marvel? Easy - demographics and box office. What's the last live action movie (before Tron) that Disney released that was a hit for 14-38 Males? Iron Man and Iron Man 2 pulled in $630 Million domestic - that's a good enough reason right there for Disney to be all over it. They're going to pull in a ton of money this year as well with Thor and Captain America (and I'm sure they'll get some kind of royalty fee for the X-Men: First Class movie in June) - not to mention Avengers next year, and any live action & animated series they have in the works (Side note - has anyone seen the teaser trailer for the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon? Looks AMAZING). They're merchandising the hell out of the characters in the parks now, and they've got the Avengers series on Disney XD which is great, and very faithful to the source material.

Me? I don't want the Marvel characters in the Magic Kingdom, it doesn't make a lick of sense - but I have no problem with them whatsoever to be in DHS if they ever came to Florida, nor with Disney rebranding Innoventions as "Stark Expo" or "Stark Innoventions".

The characters are modern mythology - there's a place for them at the Disney parks, because their representation at Universal (with the exception of the Spider-Man ride) is sub par at best.

Flight Safety

a few points...

1. As i have read it, and understand it, universal has the rights to the characters they have developed attractions for. This is clearly the hulk, spider-man, dr. Doom, storm. Less clear would be extracting that to include the fantastic four and x-men. If this is true, then thor, capt. America, and iron man are all up for grabs, and could very easily be used in a variety of ways at disney.

2. Why would disney want marvel on property? Simply put, to entertain the teenage boys and young men staying on vacation. I think the inclusion of some marvel properties would make the prospect of vacationing at disney much more attractive, and also might save parents from having to drive over to universal to see them.

3. Those who just seem dead set against seeing the characters in the parks are, imho, just a bunch of curmudgeons. Disney has been acquiring, creating, and displaying disparate properties since the beginning, heck the frito bandito was in disneyland from the start. While spider-man isn't everyone's cup of tea, neither is phineas and ferb, or aerosmith, or star wars, and yet they all live in hollywood studios, quite happily together. I don't want to see wolverine become the new stitch, but that's true of any character, disney owned or not. I think the vocal nay-sayers just need to back off a bit and let the marvel fans enjoy the prospect of seeing properties they do love, introduced in an appropriate manner.

Now, with that out of the way... Here are my proposals.

Main street usa- now featuring capt. America meet and greet
stark enterprise's presents: Tomorrow land
new world show case country, latveria, with dr. Doom themed e-ticket ride
new world show case country, wakanda, with vibranium mine cart ride
wonders of life reopens with a genetic retheme and focus on the x-men
new continent in animal kingdom- the savage lands, replaces that pile of crap about dinosaurs now there.
Streets of america becomes a non-stop fight zone between spider-man, daredevil, punisher, the thing and the sinister six.

Just some thoughts ;)

:roflol: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

Why would Disney buy Marvel? Easy - demographics and box office. What's the last live action movie (before Tron) that Disney released that was a hit for 14-38 Males? Iron Man and Iron Man 2 pulled in $630 Million domestic - that's a good enough reason right there for Disney to be all over it. They're going to pull in a ton of money this year as well with Thor and Captain America (and I'm sure they'll get some kind of royalty fee for the X-Men: First Class movie in June) - not to mention Avengers next year, and any live action & animated series they have in the works (Side note - has anyone seen the teaser trailer for the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon? Looks AMAZING). They're merchandising the hell out of the characters in the parks now, and they've got the Avengers series on Disney XD which is great, and very faithful to the source material.

Me? I don't want the Marvel characters in the Magic Kingdom, it doesn't make a lick of sense - but I have no problem with them whatsoever to be in DHS if they ever came to Florida, nor with Disney rebranding Innoventions as "Stark Expo" or "Stark Innoventions".

The characters are modern mythology - there's a place for them at the Disney parks, because their representation at Universal (with the exception of the Spider-Man ride) is sub par at best.

Well before Tron Disney had three Pirates of the Carribean movies that did somewhat well I believe?:shrug: Besides that in the past ten years their have been very successful live action movies such as Remember the Titans and Miracle. If Disney honestly went by your methology and just bought Marvel due to the money its films make than why not buy Twilight series and make parks based on that.

I like Marvel or respect them I guess. I don't like the fact that they make their movies in house anymore because for the most part they getting increasingly worse, but I do like the stories. I just don't want to associate them with Disney in anyway.

AEfx

I don't really see a big difference between Marvel and Pixar.

All characters that were created elsewhere, and though Disney did distribute the Pixar films long before they owned them, it could have just as easily been Paramount, or Universal, etc.

I actually much prefer the DC characters to Marvel, I have no particular affinity for them - but their presence wouldn't bother me at all. Unless they replace Tink in the fireworks with Spidey, I wouldn't have an issue.

JCorduroy

Well before Tron Disney had three Pirates of the Carribean movies that did somewhat well I believe?:shrug: Besides that in the past ten years their have been very successful live action movies such as Remember the Titans and Miracle. If Disney honestly went by your methology and just bought Marvel due to the money its films make than why not buy Twilight series and make parks based on that.

I like Marvel or respect them I guess. I don't like the fact that they make their movies in house anymore because for the most part they getting increasingly worse, but I do like the stories. I just don't want to associate them with Disney in anyway.

Well, I completely spaced the Pirates flicks - that was silly, I love those movies. ;) However, to your point, you can't monetize Herb Brooks and the hockey team from Miracle or the Remember the Titans football team like you can Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, The Thing or the Hulk. Perhaps I should have said 'live action action films' to clarify my point. The marvel character base is huge, and is immensely popular, and it gives them penetration into a market they typically struggle in. Twilight doesn't fill that role - I dare say that Edward, Bella and the werewolf kid aren't what teenage and twenty-something males want to watch.

And I have yet to see a reason WHY people don't want to associate them with Disney - it's just bellyaching to me. Especially when it's frequently from the same people who want nothing more than to chill at Star Wars Weekends, see some TLC go to the Great Movie ride, ride Star Tours 2.0 or see a refurbished / brand new Indiana Jones attraction.

Edeyore

I like most Marvel comics but I don't understand why so many people would like to see a non-Disney entity invade the parks. I like Disney because it's not Universal or Six Flags(with DC ).

Besides, what place would my favorite Marvel character have at Disney. The Punisher is a gun carrying ex-agent whose family was slaughtered. Has disney written all over it. I can see it now...
super_funny_stuff_worlds_funniest_punisher.jpg

They have a shooting gallery in Frontierland. Punisher shooting gallery. Also a one of the most popular parts of Star Wars weekends are the appearances of Darth Maul and Darth Vader. (and you know his story.) It all has to do with the marketing and Disney is great at marketing. Just an example, Tarzan. It is a very popular movie, with popular characters. Do you realize how many deaths there were in that one movie? It is all marketing.

JohnLocke

Couldn't disagree more with this entire post. While you're right about Pirates, Titans and Miracle, as has already been pointed out, aren't exactly viable as franchise properties, much less multi-platform franchise properties. A case could be made for National Treasure, but even with that series, Disney already has the use of Indiana Jones in the parks, which makes much more sense for attractions than National Treasure.

As for buying Twilight rights, putting quality aside, Disney doesn't need an expansion of the female demographic right now, and the series just isn't too much in line with what Disney wants to put out there. While the movies are good for a laugh, mostly, there are definitely aspects of the story that just aren't that healthy.

When it comes to Marvel's in house productions, they seem to be doing a pretty good job so far. While Iron Man 2 was at least a mild disappointment, Iron Man 1 was a really solid movie and easily in the top 5 or even 3 Comic Book movies ever made. Their only other film, The Incredible Hulk, was about as good a version of that comic as could really be expected. Of course, the jury's still out on how Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers will turn out, but there's no real indication any will be bad as of yet.

paul436

Definitely the best fit, if expanded properly. Imagine Pixar Place with an added Cars ride and Monsters Inc coaster; Skywalker Ranch (LucasLand) with a new Indiana Jones and Star Wars themed attractions, a Sounds Dangerous rethemed to THX/Star Wars sound effects studio, and a cantina themed eatery. Toss in a Marvel Universe with a Walk thru X-Mansion leading to a Danger Room themed X-ride, maybe an Avengers Dueling Coaster, and a Fantastic Four themed 3-D attraction. You now have a all day park that keeps the Hollywood Studios theming and almost doubles the amount of E-ticket thrills. For added measure you could put in a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse type area to keep the park little kid friendly...

This sounds like a great plan to me.:sohappy:

Disneyfan1981

These are some interesting thoughts on the matter. Given that Kevin Feige is one of the worst public speakers I would take his words of an indication that something is coming (the bit specifically referenced Disneyland), a couple of summers ago he said "Wouldn't it be great for a superhero team movie to actually happen?" and then we got The Avengers properly announced, he isn't really into the cryptic side of things.

Some interesting things that aren't noted here (or at least in my catching up I missed) Marvel pre-Disney had marketed and leased themselves out into oblivion. Universal has the Marvel characters but not definitively. They have the comic characters of Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America locked up forever, that is old news but notice that you don't see the movie versions walking around? The reason is that Spider-Man in any form or fashion is owned by Sony/Columbia and that includes likeness and games. The X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil by 20th Century Fox. Both of those licenses are also long-term lifers.

So why bring this up?

Honestly it means two things are possible, 1: If Disney really wanted to (and this is less likely) they could strike a deal with Sony and use Spider-Man at WDW, it would just be limited to only the film version in all aspects and do the same with other film licensees if they wanted and essentially be within reason of their contracts with Universal (who I'm sure would challenge but the Fox contract for example is iron clad, Disney has been trying to get out of it since it bought Marvel and found nothing) but then run the risk of having a Spider-Man ride at Universal and then another just based on the film for example at WDW which isn't ideal and severely unlikely. The reason I bring this up is because Feige is talking about "The X-Mansion" and literally he has no bearing over it since it's Fox's and so my mind was wandering.

2: What is more likely is that you'll see Disney moving towards the Marvel Studios properties that it owns in house as inspiration. We saw Iron Man on a monorail, obviously he is fair game and being the most popular of the Marvel heroes at the present in the film world, a good start. Captain America is trickier and to some aspect Thor but again I'm not well versed in what characters Uni actually has, 20th Century Fox for example has anything classified as a mutant.

So even as Marvel comes into contact with Disney as far as WDW is concerned I would wager the pool is very small and very slim. There are about 20 new Marvel movies in pre-production of some kind with characters not used by other film companies and more obscure so Uni most likely doesn't have them. Considering that Iron Man was classified as a "B" or "Second" tiered character before his film in 2008, I would imagine that Disney will be watching these character's and their film exploits. With the other Disney parks everything is fair game and I see them exploiting it.

As for the purists, if I can see, endure and actually enjoy Pixar at Disney, there is room for Marvel if done right and respectfully. Honestly anything innovative screams Tony Stark and can be kept localized and integrated without ruining the parks as they are known.

SleepingMonk

... They have the comic characters of Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America locked up forever, that is old news but notice that you don't see the movie versions walking around?...

:confused:

That sounds like a huge mess.

TV version, movie version, comic version, web content version, etc...

I can't imagine they would even want to bother with any characters that would ultimately be so brand diluted.

comics101

I don't understand what the big deal is with all the Marvel haters. Seriously, what up? As a comic book fan and as a fan of Disney I for one look very, very foward to seeing Disney develop Marvel attractions in their parks, including the Disneyland-styled ones. Obviously Disney's not just gonna throw the characters wherever in the parks, they'll find a way to fit them in and the attractions will be done thematically right, so just calm down.

I'm curious, what did you all do during the Disney Deccade when it was announced that Tracy's Crimestoppers
would be constructed in Disneyland in a new "Hollywoodland" area? I mean, seriously, did you burry your head in a pillow and cry because not only was Tracy not created by Disney, but it isn't even owned by Disney? If you did, then wow, because by all accounts it would've been one of the most impressive attractions every built, and I'm sure that any Marvel attraction built in the parks will be as well. Surely Marvel, being owned by Disney, deserves an attraction moreso than Tracy ever did, whether Disney released the Tracy film under one of its film banners or not.

I swear sometimes fanboys make no sense...go make yourselves useful and instead of complaining about a great set of attractions that MAY someday be constructed (they haven't even been announced yet), go dream about Beastlie Kingdomme or something great like that, something that was actually announced and never built... Marvel not only belongs in a Disney park, I have no doubt it will one day find its way into a Disney park, and the attractions developed for this great line of characters will be wonderful.

NoChesterHester

I don't understand what the big deal is with all the Marvel haters. Seriously, what up? As a comic book fan and as a fan of Disney I for one look very, very foward to seeing Disney develop Marvel attractions in their parks, including the Disneyland-styled ones. Obviously Disney's not just gonna throw the characters wherever in the parks, they'll find a way to fit them in and the attractions will be done thematically right, so just calm down.

I'm curious, what did you all do during the Disney Deccade when it was announced that Tracy's Crimestoppers
would be constructed in Disneyland in a new "Hollywoodland" area? I mean, seriously, did you burry your head in a pillow and cry because not only was Tracy not created by Disney, but it isn't even owned by Disney? If you did, then wow, because by all accounts it would've been one of the most impressive attractions every built, and I'm sure that any Marvel attraction built in the parks will be as well. Surely Marvel, being owned by Disney, deserves an attraction moreso than Tracy ever did, whether Disney released the Tracy film under one of its film banners or not.

I swear sometimes fanboys make no sense...go make yourselves useful and instead of complaining about a great set of attractions that MAY someday be constructed (they haven't even been announced yet), go dream about Beastlie Kingdomme or something great like that, something that was actually announced and never built... Marvel not only belongs in a Disney park, I have no doubt it will one day find its way into a Disney park, and the attractions developed for this great line of characters will be wonderful.

^This

Well put. Without even seeing the artwork for a proposed attraction everyone comes unglued. Just like anything, if done correctly would add richness, diversity, and excitement to the offerings of the parks. I for one am very disappointed that Universal's agreement is such that Marvel CAN'T come to the Florida parks.

Krack

These are some interesting thoughts on the matter. Given that Kevin Feige is one of the worst public speakers I would take his words of an indication that something is coming (the bit specifically referenced Disneyland), a couple of summers ago he said "Wouldn't it be great for a superhero team movie to actually happen?" and then we got The Avengers properly announced, he isn't really into the cryptic side of things.

Some interesting things that aren't noted here (or at least in my catching up I missed) Marvel pre-Disney had marketed and leased themselves out into oblivion. Universal has the Marvel characters but not definitively. They have the comic characters of Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America locked up forever, that is old news but notice that you don't see the movie versions walking around? The reason is that Spider-Man in any form or fashion is owned by Sony/Columbia and that includes likeness and games. The X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil by 20th Century Fox. Both of those licenses are also long-term lifers.

So why bring this up?

Honestly it means two things are possible, 1: If Disney really wanted to (and this is less likely) they could strike a deal with Sony and use Spider-Man at WDW, it would just be limited to only the film version in all aspects and do the same with other film licensees if they wanted and essentially be within reason of their contracts with Universal (who I'm sure would challenge but the Fox contract for example is iron clad, Disney has been trying to get out of it since it bought Marvel and found nothing) but then run the risk of having a Spider-Man ride at Universal and then another just based on the film for example at WDW which isn't ideal and severely unlikely. The reason I bring this up is because Feige is talking about "The X-Mansion" and literally he has no bearing over it since it's Fox's and so my mind was wandering.

2: What is more likely is that you'll see Disney moving towards the Marvel Studios properties that it owns in house as inspiration. We saw Iron Man on a monorail, obviously he is fair game and being the most popular of the Marvel heroes at the present in the film world, a good start. Captain America is trickier and to some aspect Thor but again I'm not well versed in what characters Uni actually has, 20th Century Fox for example has anything classified as a mutant.

So even as Marvel comes into contact with Disney as far as WDW is concerned I would wager the pool is very small and very slim. There are about 20 new Marvel movies in pre-production of some kind with characters not used by other film companies and more obscure so Uni most likely doesn't have them. Considering that Iron Man was classified as a "B" or "Second" tiered character before his film in 2008, I would imagine that Disney will be watching these character's and their film exploits. With the other Disney parks everything is fair game and I see them exploiting it.

As for the purists, if I can see, endure and actually enjoy Pixar at Disney, there is room for Marvel if done right and respectfully. Honestly anything innovative screams Tony Stark and can be kept localized and integrated without ruining the parks as they are known.

I appreciate the analysis and thought you put into this, but it's wrong. If Disney tried to use "film" characters that are modeled after comic characters that Universal has the exclusive rights to use in theme parks in Florida - Universal would sue them so fast Mickey's head would spin like a top; and they would win big. It would be a major violation of the contract and it would be a violation made in bad faith.

Further, you see Spider-man walking around IOA all the time. All you have to do is search for it on YouTube.

pwnbeaver

I've been lurking for almost a year but decided to sign up because reading this thread made me so happy. I thought I was the only person who thinks Superhero Island is absolutely horrible. The walk-around characters are painfully bad, the attractions are horribly themed and the whole land looks like it jumped out of a terrible 90's comic book. I wish they would demolish the whole thing then acquire the DC rights from six flags (who does worse than Universal with Marvel) and build something Potter-level awesome with those characters. The only good thing about that area is the Spiderman ride which seems to be so good it blinds people to the unbelievable horror that is the rest of the land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom