Marvel's Next Step

lazyboy97o

I guess part of my problem is that Marvel is not Disney created. You can find the characters everywhere, including down the road at Universal. Six Flags. Cedar Point. If Marvel were incoorporated into a Disney park, YES they would do it differently and better, I have no doubt. But part of what I love about Disney is that you can't get the experience you get there anywhere else. With Marvel in the mix it would seem so ordinary and commonplace. Just another theme park based on Marvel Superheroes. I like the strictly Disney aspect of the Disney parks.
Again, this is all just IMO. I'm not a super-marvel fan. I will always defer to Disney over Marvel.
What Marvel characters are present at any of the Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks? The Six Flags parks feature the DC superheroes (Batman, Superman, Flash, etc), and I can think of no superheroes at the Cedar Fair parks. The Marvel characters have also been removed from Universal Studios Hollywood. Maybe your problem is your general unfamiliarity with the characters?

comics101

I for one think the Stark Expo idea at Tomorrowland in DL would be AMAZING! and would be a step in the right direction for fixing up the mess that is currently found there. An Ironman Ride, Tron Attraction, MI LaughFloor, could make the place awesome, and would be yet another reason to make the trip over to CA.

Skip

People need to accept that beyond merchandising there will be 99% chance be no Marvel coming to the Florida parks in the near future... Disney simply does not have the rights to build anything (even a meet'n'greet) east of the Mississippi, at least as far as the online community understands the contract. Disneyland is fair game, as are the foreign parks (with the possible exception of Spider-Man in Japan?)

I'm looking forward to what Marvel efforts are in Shanghaei, not to mention any Disneyland additions. But seriously, enough of the World Showcase sponsored by Marvel stuff - not only is that contractually minimally likely to even be possible, it'd just be kind of silly. Marvel doesn't fit in the current WDW parks... even Hollywood Studios is a stretch.

Fractal514

I guess part of my problem is that Marvel is not Disney created. You can find the characters everywhere, including down the road at Universal. Six Flags. Cedar Point. If Marvel were incoorporated into a Disney park, YES they would do it differently and better, I have no doubt. But part of what I love about Disney is that you can't get the experience you get there anywhere else. With Marvel in the mix it would seem so ordinary and commonplace. Just another theme park based on Marvel Superheroes. I like the strictly Disney aspect of the Disney parks.
Again, this is all just IMO. I'm not a super-marvel fan. I will always defer to Disney over Marvel.

If you defer to Disney, then why don't you accept their wisdom in acquiring Marvel?

Marvel heroes, to my knowledge, are only seen in Universal Studios, and quite frankly, they aren't represented very well. Outside of the Spider-Man ride, I find it to be a crap fest on Marvel Island. They are really showcasing the 90's visions of the characters and there are some more family oriented, yet still "cool" interpretations that could really work well at WDW. Frankly, I think the folks who are so against Marvel in the parks (aside for the hordes of legal experts who just like to ________ on our tea party) are folks who have a very specific interpretation of what Marvel is and what the possibilities would be. Not considering things like Dr. Strange, The Marvel Super Hero Squad, and all sorts of other angles on and characters that could be presented.

I like most Marvel comics but I don't understand why so many people would like to see a non-Disney entity invade the parks. I like Disney because it's not Universal or Six Flags(with DC ).

Besides, what place would my favorite Marvel character have at Disney. The Punisher is a gun carrying ex-agent whose family was slaughtered. Has disney written all over it. I can see it now...
super_funny_stuff_worlds_funniest_punisher.jpg

Wilt Dasney

(aside for the hordes of legal experts who just like to ________ on our tea party)

If a kid excites herself believing she might get a pony for Christmas when there's zero chance of that happening, is it kinder of her parents to let her go on thinking it might? :)

I don't see anything wrong with injecting a little reality into these discussions. It's not mean-spirited...at least on my part.

AEfx

He continued, "The notion of walking into a theme park and going into Asgard or the X-Mansion—Disney does this better than anyone. That is why I've gone to Disney parks multiple times every year for my whole life. It's that next step in fully immersive storytelling, whether it's a dark ride, a stunt show, or a thrill ride. The options are endless when it comes to how Imagineers can turn our characters, our adventures, and our films into amazing experiences."

Uh, does he suddenly think Islands of Adventure is a Disney Park?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If you defer to Disney, then why don't you accept their wisdom in acquiring Marvel?

Marvel heroes, to my knowledge, are only seen in Universal Studios, and quite frankly, they aren't represented very well. Outside of the Spider-Man ride, I find it to be a crap fest on Marvel Island. They are really showcasing the 90's visions of the characters and there are some more family oriented, yet still "cool" interpretations that could really work well at WDW. Frankly, I think the folks who are so against Marvel in the parks (aside for the hordes of legal experts who just like to ________ on our tea party) are folks who have a very specific interpretation of what Marvel is and what the possibilities would be. Not considering things like Dr. Strange, The Marvel Super Hero Squad, and all sorts of other angles on and characters that could be presented.

I have no idea what Marvel stands for, I have never read comic books and have no real brand loyalty to the creations and their musings, I am only interested in the attractions. If they have a theme that works great, but great themeing doesnt make a poor ride great.

As for the rest of your waffle, please refer to my original post.

maxairmike

Okay, I'm really confused now. How did we get from figuring out that Disney can't currently (or any time in the near to distant future) bring Marvel to WDW outside of merchandise due to the contract, to bemoaning the Marvel acquisition and raising heck about the thought of putting them into WDW?

Seriously, I don't...get it. :shrug::brick:

That's kind of what the whole contract discussion from page 2-5 was about, to figure out "hey, they're not coming to WDW unless something very, very drastic happens." :brick:

Fractal514

The ten minute murder scene of Frank Castle's entire family is a little more violent than very fakish burnt uncle and aunt.

What about the slaughter of all of the children in the Jedi temple? How about blowing up an entire planet? What about Jar Jar Binks?

I tell you there are more vile and disgusting things in Star Wars than in the Punisher. But you are also making a stupid point. There's no way they are going to use Punisher. Of course he doesn't fit, and no one is suggesting he does. Capt. America, Thor, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, the Fantastic Four on the other hand, well I think could fit nicely if portrayed appropriately.

Fractal514

I have no idea what Marvel stands for, I have never read comic books and have no real brand loyalty to the creations and their musings, I am only interested in the attractions. If they have a theme that works great, but great themeing doesnt make a poor ride great.

As for the rest of your waffle, please refer to my original post.

What waffle are you referring to? I still think that Marvel in the parks would be great, and I still think that if Disney wants to make it happen, they will find a way. Yes, they have a contract, and yes it might be tricky, but this is Disney, I think they could figure something out with Universal.

What about the slaughter of all of the children in the Jedi temple? How about blowing up an entire planet? What about Jar Jar Binks?

I tell you there are more vile and disgusting things in Star Wars than in the Punisher. But you are also making a stupid point. There's no way they are going to use Punisher. Of course he doesn't fit, and no one is suggesting he does. Capt. America, Thor, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, the Fantastic Four on the other hand, well I think could fit nicely if portrayed appropriately.

The point is what does it have to do with Disney? If that's what you want than why not take a walk down the road to Universal.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Marvel doesn't fit in the current WDW parks... even Hollywood Studios is a stretch.

If Disney could fit Power Rangers in DHS........:lookaroun

I can easily see Disney probably replacing Tom Sawyer Island (expanding the island) into Marvel Superhero Island! :ROFLOL:

i'd also agree that iron COULD fit somewhere in epcot/tomorrowland, or any space-themed marvel hero.

Animal Kingdom.. idk.... wolverine? spider man? HULK? :ROFLOL:

I can see it now...

new-disney-heroes

Since1976

I think the key point is that Universal can keep Marvel Super Hero Island as long as it wants to. And really, would they want to continue funneling money (through merchandise sales) to their nearest competitor? And would they ever build *new* attractions on MSHI? I can see MSHI stagnating and falling into disrepair (in terms of aesthetics rather than safety) if Universal's heart is no longer in it.

My feeling is that Universal won't hold on forever - 8 years, 10 years more? Perhaps they'll keep going just to annoy Disney as long as possible, but they will eventually find a better use for that area of their park.

I love Universal's Marvel attractions, but I think Disney could do an even more spectacular job by making rides based on the movies, not just the comics.

SleepingMonk

I love Universal's Marvel attractions, but I think Disney could do an even more spectacular job by making rides based on the movies, not just the comics.

Once upon a time maybe, but now I don't think they could even come close to what Universal has done with Spiderman, Mummy and Potter.

Disney's heart just isn't in it anymore. They've rested on their laurels too long, grown fat and happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom