marvel

NedLand

for people who aren't familiar with comics heres a bit of information for you...:)

DC Comics as well as Mad Magazine are owned and have been owned by Warner Bros. for decades.

Disney recently bought the rights to Marvel.

Marvel and DC Comics are like the Coke and Pepsi of comic books, and both companies have big name characters. Comics used to be various genres including sci-fi, westerns, jungle adventure, fantasy, educational, cartoon character, biographical, religious, romance and others. Today 90% are probably superhero. Disney has kept one title continuing in comics to this day, Walt Disney Comics and Stories. Other then that title most of Disney's comics vanished in the 80s and 90s. Just recently did Disney relaunch some titles including Wall-E, Cars, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, and continued Walt Disney Comics and Stories.

DC is more known for the historic and iconic characters. From the Golden Age of comics which was the late 30s, ONLY three superhero characters in any company have been published consistently up to today. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Flash and Green Lantern did exist in the golden age, but they were different characters.

Marvel is more known for it's silver age, only having had three main characters even go back to the golden age. Those three are Namor The Sub mariner, Captain America and the Human Torch (not the Fantastic four version). Marvel is also known for teams including Fantastic Four, X-Men, Avengers, and others. Ironically when DC created Justice league of America, Marvel's editior asked Stan lee to create a team of superheroes and Fantastic Four was born.

DC includes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter, Nightwing (who is the original Robin), Robin, Hawkman, Atom, Spectre, Captain Marvel (Shazam), Catwoman, Joker, Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Brainiac, Lois Lane and countless others.

Marvel includes Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine, Namor, The X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Magneto, Dr Doom, Venom, Deadpool, Punisher, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider, Dr Strange, Luke Cage, Daredevil and again countless others.

To non-comic readers Superman and Batman still to this day are the most recognized and known characters, and Wonder Woman is an iconic stature as no female character Marvel has compares with her history or significance in comics. They even have a costume of WW, a warner bros character on display in Pop Century's time capsules to represent the 70s when her TV show came on. Spider-Man is the most popular marvel character, though historically Captain America has been around longer, and Wolverine was huge in the 80s and 90s.

Marvel however has been more prevalent, especially lately in movies. Most, not all, but most of the major marvel characters already have movie contracts with studios before Disney bought them.

I know some will dislike me posting this, since it's not disney centered, but I thought helping people out in knowing what character is who's would be helpful :)
comic_book_guy.jpg

Just kidding! I used to work at a comic book store.

fosse76

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney continued to allow Universal to use the characters as long as they wanted and just collect the licensing fees,

Disney doesn't have to "let" them. Universal owns the theme park rights in perpetuity of Marvel properties that are currently in its Florida parks. Disney has no choice. My vague recollection is that Universal owns the foreign rights as well.

fosse76

Pretty sure Warner Bros. either owns or has a stake in Six Flags, which is why both DC and Looney Tunes are represented there.

Actually, it's interesting. Marriott's Great America in both Chicago and Santa Clara, CA owned the original theme park rights to Looney Tunes (owned by Warner Bros). When the Santa Clara park was sold, the Chicago park retained the Looney Tunes rights (since they where owned by Marriott). When Marriott sold the Chicago park to Six Flags in early 1984, they also transferred the Looney Tunes rights to Six Flags. It wasn't actually until Warner Bros. sold their majority in Six Flags to Premier Parks that Six Flags obtained the licensing rights to DC Comics, since Premier/Six Flags would now need a license to use the Warner Bros. properties.

The original Batman-The Ride in Chicago is probably the best-themed version of the ride, and is at least as well-themed as it could be on a regional park budget. It seems to be a more recent trend that Six Flags has really no interest in a cohesive park theme, and that "themeing" for superhero rides is cardboard cut-outs and painted logos. It's a shame. Batman gave them promise!

kaos

Disney doesn't have to "let" them. Universal owns the theme park rights in perpetuity of Marvel properties that are currently in its Florida parks. Disney has no choice. My vague recollection is that Universal owns the foreign rights as well.

The rights were not perpetual, and there is only about a year or 2 left on the deal. There is an option for another term, but the option specifically stated that the option would terminate if Marvel was sold. Disney will more than likely renew a licensing deal with Universal, but it is going to cost Universal a pretty penny. Similarly, the Disney-MGM deal allows Disney to use the images and clips in perpetuity, but not the MGM name. It will all be moot anyways in a few years when Disney buys GE.

The rights were not perpetual, and there is only about a year or 2 left on the deal. There is an option for another term, but the option specifically stated that the option would terminate if Marvel was sold. Disney will more than likely renew a licensing deal with Universal, but it is going to cost Universal a pretty penny.

Source? This contradicts what I've read a number of places, including TPI

Orlando Sentinel:
Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation.

kaos

For those two attractions only. The rest of the licensing is on a renewing basis, and notice the use of the word "virtually" there... As long as Universal does not modify the existing attractions, the license is valid per the agreement. Modifying includes upgrading ride systems, trains, track design- basically everything except wear and tear replacements. Once a permit is applied for, the license ends and must be re-newed. In essence, Universal has only until something needs a crane to be repaired for that license deal. Then it's up to Disney to extend or renew a license. It's tricky, but that's how it's set up. The rest of the license agreement covers non-attraction based theming and character presence. We all discussed this in depth in prior threads when Disney bought Marvel. The Mississippi line of demarcation is just a nod saying "we won't use the east coast while the licenses are in effect".

cheezbat

Even though DC Comics is owned by Time Warner, you have to think BEYOND that...like how close Universal and Time Warner are with each other...the Harry Potter films were done by Time Warner, yet Universal has a land themed to the likeness of the movie franchise...Universal sold the rights of the Terminator franchise to Time Warner...they like to work together, especially if it means taking on the Mouse. Because of this, after seeing Universal get screwed by Disney over the Marvel deal, I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a deal to license out the DC Superheroes to Universal.

JohnLocke

Even though DC Comics is owned by Time Warner, you have to think BEYOND that...like how close Universal and Time Warner are with each other...the Harry Potter films were done by Time Warner, yet Universal has a land themed to the likeness of the movie franchise...Universal sold the rights of the Terminator franchise to Time Warner...they like to work together, especially if it means taking on the Mouse. Because of this, after seeing Universal get screwed by Disney over the Marvel deal, I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a deal to license out the DC Superheroes to Universal.

I still would really doubt it. The Harry Potter theme park rights weren't entirely Warner's to give, I'm pretty sure that Rowling still had a big part in them, if not the biggest, and she wanted to make sure her property was well taken care of. If Warners had their way, they would probably do like their DC attractions and try to throw a bunch of Harry Potter attractions up in Six Flags parks.

kaos

I still would really doubt it. The Harry Potter theme park rights weren't entirely Warner's to give, I'm pretty sure that Rowling still had a big part in them, if not the biggest, and she wanted to make sure her property was well taken care of. If Warners had their way, they would probably do like their DC attractions and try to throw a bunch of Harry Potter attractions up in Six Flags parks.

I heard that Universal was approached by Rohwling only AFTER Disney passed on the license, citing too high of a licensing fee. It's a statement like that that makes me think Disney may NOT jack the fees up on the Marvel properties. I think that Disney actually makes more $$$ on the license than Universal does on actually being able to present it. Disney gets a check just for letting the name/image be used, while Universal has to maintain the attractions, pay for retail sales, etc etc etc... In my business, we have 2 rivals that are on par with the rivaly between Disney/Universal. About a year ago, one company, freshly emreged from bankruptcy, decided to licens its 100 year old name, image, and more importantly, prior product line, to it's rival. The CEO that made the decision to let his rival foot the bill for this product? Jerry Calabrese. Please, oh please... will someone please put Comic Book Snob back into the comic business and out of this one?... but I digest:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom