marvel

Grizzly Hall 71

You're not going to see Spidey in WDW anytime in the near future, but maybe in DL! Costuming will be a big part of the next license negotiations with Universal for sure. Power Rangers was licensed by Disney, and I think that Disney did not renew the license. They milked it for what they could. Look for the minor Marvel characters to make appearances in Florida, but characters with exisiting licenses won't be around anytime soon. Captain America, some minor X-men, Iron Man- we'll see those soon. I doubt that Disney would do a Marvel parade since the top Marvel properties cannot appear in their Florida theme parks. If we do see a Marvel parade, it will most likely be in DL/CA, or out of the country.

ALL THE MARVEL CHARACTERS ARE GREAT! You still have Fantasic 4, Thor (new movie), Ant Man (new movie), Daredevil, Magneto, Silver Surfer, Kingpin, and The Avengers (I know hulk is up there but he wouldn't be included, AND MUCH MORE!

kaos

Thanks for the clearification! I was referring to Movies and Theme Parks (if they ever come). Teens wouldn't go see Princess and The Frog instead of Iron Man 2. Can you explain how Disney is top spot in Teen demo over, oh say, Universal?

That's not a fair comparison- NO ONE went to see Princess and the Frog! HAHA

Disney is rolling out a new cable channel (the only way to really gauge market share these days) that is heavily relying on exisiting properties aimed towards High School and younger aged males. Some of the Disney Channel shows have been rumored to be moving there (Zach and Cody) along with some fresh new shows. Disney wouldn't have made this move if they didn't already have a hefty share of that market. Remember, Disney is a company built on synergy, so if something doesn't work on all lines, they very well will pull the plug. FYI- TS:3 drew more teenage boys than teenage girls- but more adults than under 18's...

kaos

Also if my mind serves me right, last time I was at Universal Studios Hollywood you could me meet Spider Man, so he wouldn't be in DL neither.

That may have been, but the agreement specifically stated Florida parks only. TDC could have allowed Universal a license for Spidey there... I'd have to look into that.

Grizzly Hall 71

That's not a fair comparison- NO ONE went to see Princess and the Frog! HAHA

Disney is rolling out a new cable channel (the only way to really gauge market share these days) that is heavily relying on exisiting properties aimed towards High School and younger aged males. Some of the Disney Channel shows have been rumored to be moving there (Zach and Cody) along with some fresh new shows. Disney wouldn't have made this move if they didn't already have a hefty share of that market. Remember, Disney is a company built on synergy, so if something doesn't work on all lines, they very well will pull the plug. FYI- TS:3 drew more teenage boys than teenage girls- but more adults than under 18's...

I liked Princess and The Frog lol. Also I don't know a single teen who watches Disney XD. Of course Tou Story 3 was going to draw a lot of Teens, our generation grew up on the first movie lol. But that doesn't compare to Universal who owns TBS and USA which appeal to the young adult and teen market and that recently made Inglourious Basterds, Doomsday, The Incredible Hulk, The Mummy, Fast and Furious, Robin Hood, and Green Zone. Those are films from just the past 2 years. Those are more appealing to Teens rather than anything in the past few years they put out to appeal to teens.

fireworkz

Power Rangers was licensed by Disney, and I think that Disney did not renew the license.

Nope, Power Rangers was owned by Bandai which sold them to Fox Family, which in turn was bought by Disney. Disney just sold the Power Rangers back to Bandai. Yes, you could still say they milked it, but they owned them and milked it more by selling them back.

But that doesn't compare to Universal who owns TBS and USA

Not quite, TBS is a TimeWarner company. Don't think Conan would leave NBC-Universal just to run back to them at TBS. However, yes USA is NBC-Universal.

kaos

I liked Princess and The Frog lol. Also I don't know a single teen who watches Disney XD. Of course Tou Story 3 was going to draw a lot of Teens, our generation grew up on the first movie lol. But that doesn't compare to Universal who owns TBS and USA which appeal to the young adult and teen market and that recently made Inglourious Basterds, Doomsday, The Incredible Hulk, The Mummy, Fast and Furious, Robin Hood, and Green Zone. Those are films from just the past 2 years. Those are more appealing to Teens rather than anything in the past few years they put out to appeal to teens.

TBS is owned by Ted Turner, not Universal... and USA is a whilly owned subsidary of NBC properties, not the Universal arm of the corporation.

Inglorious ________________ was rated R and aimed at the holy grail of demo's, 28-39. In fact, all the films you mentioned were specifically NOT aimed at the under 18 demo... they were aimed at the 28-44 M/F combined demo. Now, if you're like me when I was younger, you go for the more sophisticated entertainment, so you might be under the impression that it's aimed at your AGE demo, but you are clearly aligned with a different demo, which in my opinion, is a GREAT thing! It shows that not only do you have a brain, you use that brain beyond your physical age (I'm just assuming that you're about 10-12 years younger than me). TS3 drew its largest audience from the 29-38 age bracket- true, some on the higher end of this age bracket DO have tweens/teens, but the movie itself was aimed at a higher age bracket. TS and TS2 were aimed at a lower demo bracket, but Pixar decided it best to keep the movie aimed at the same individual rather than dumb it down to a lower age demo. From the research done on-site by the theater groups (I'll try to find the results of their survey) and the fact that when I saw TS3, the younger kids were bored. The movie was clearly produced in a direction towards that all important $$$ bracket. Not a bad thing, but as much as I enjoyed TS3, it takes a smarter mind to enjoy it. But I digress...

There are multiple contractual agreements that are now in effect regarding Disney and Universal on the Marvel front. Disney saw this as an opportunity to hedge and as a win-win. As of now, there are no concrete plans for any character introductions into the WDW parks, the exception being the synergistic marketing of upcoming movies at DHS. What is clear, however, is Disney has basically taken over Comic-Con in the past couple of years with ST:2, Tron, and now Marvel.

Testtrack321

Pulp Fiction is no longer Disney after yesterday. $660 Million for Miramax and it's film collection of over 700 to some investment group.

Yes, I know, but it doesn't matter, and doesn't refute my argument. For the 16 years that it WAS Disney, did anyone ever equate the two (besides crazy Baptist radical mega churches)? NO.

I stand by what I said in my post. More Marvel, even in non Disney parks, is GOOD.

cheezbat

I've always been a hardcore DC Comics fan, yet hated their representation at Six Flags. Always so cheap! They milk the characters through slapping their image on a billboard or marquee in the park, and name rides after DC characters, but that's it. Nothing really worthwhile. I was always hoping to see one of the theme park Giants come up with the funds to license those characters in their parks...of course, Universal went out and got Marvel for IOA, which was okay with me, but then I had hoped to see Disney do what they could to bring Superman, Batman, and friends to Walt Disney World....instead they go and buy Marvel...awkward situation for Universal...now I'm hoping to see Universal drop Marvel, pick up DC as their replacement, and then see Marvel additions to Disney! Win-win to comic lovers everywhere!

Grizzly Hall 71

Yes, I know, but it doesn't matter, and doesn't refute my argument. For the 16 years that it WAS Disney, did anyone ever equate the two (besides crazy Baptist radical mega churches)? NO.

I stand by what I said in my post. More Marvel, even in non Disney parks, is GOOD.

I AGREE WHOLE- HEARTDLEY! I was just stating that it wasn't Disney. I wish Disney would of incorporated Miramax into DHS. it woulda been great. I wish they would of kept it, just so the could re-release their 700 films on Blu-Ray. But hey at the end of the day, for Disney it's all about the Benjamins.

I hope Disney does something with Marvel when that one yeard deal is up.

Grizzly Hall 71

I've always been a hardcore DC Comics fan, yet hated their representation at Six Flags. Always so cheap! They milk the characters through slapping their image on a billboard or marquee in the park, and name rides after DC characters, but that's it. Nothing really worthwhile. I was always hoping to see one of the theme park Giants come up with the funds to license those characters in their parks...of course, Universal went out and got Marvel for IOA, which was okay with me, but then I had hoped to see Disney do what they could to bring Superman, Batman, and friends to Walt Disney World....instead they go and buy Marvel...awkward situation for Universal...now I'm hoping to see Universal drop Marvel, pick up DC as their replacement, and then see Marvel additions to Disney! Win-win to comic lovers everywhere!

Honestly if Marvel went against DC, marvel would win IMO. All DC has is Superman lol.

But on a serious note isn't DC owned by Time Warner? I could be wrong though.

JohnLocke

Pretty sure Warner Bros. either owns or has a stake in Six Flags, which is why both DC and Looney Tunes are represented there.

JohnLocke

Honestly if Marvel went against DC, marvel would win IMO. All DC has is Superman lol.

But on a serious note isn't DC owned by Time Warner? I could be wrong though.

Your forgetting the best super hero of all time, Batman. You are right that whether DC has heroes on par with Marvel or not, they are definitely either underused or obscure.

mp2bill

Universal would have to contract new rights for the new parks, so Disney can make as many outlandish requests or requirements as they deem fit. I think it's great, I don't think people see Marvel as Disney as much as they see Pulp Fiction as being Disney, and as such, should be cross promoted and advertised to raise money. Money for the parks, new family entertainment, etc.

Yeah...I have to agree with you here.

Grizzly Hall 71

Your forgetting the best super hero of all time, Batman. You are right that whether DC has heroes on par with Marvel or not, they are definitely either underused or obscure.

Spider Man can beat Batman IMO. If he can beat the entire sinister syndicate he can beat anyone (except Superman).

kaos

my superhero can beat your superhero with one hand tied behind his back!:fork:

and I call troll on myself at this point!!!:eek:

JohnLocke

Spider Man can beat Batman IMO. If he can beat the entire sinister syndicate he can beat anyone (except Superman).

I think Batman could probably beat Spider Man, but I really don't care about who can beat who, I'm talking most compelling super hero, and for me that's Batman. Considering Batman's box office, he's many other people's favorite as well.

yoda_5729

for people who aren't familiar with comics heres a bit of information for you...:)

DC Comics as well as Mad Magazine are owned and have been owned by Warner Bros. for decades.

Disney recently bought the rights to Marvel.

Marvel and DC Comics are like the Coke and Pepsi of comic books, and both companies have big name characters. Comics used to be various genres including sci-fi, westerns, jungle adventure, fantasy, educational, cartoon character, horror, war, teenage (Archie), biographical, religious, romance and others. Today 90% are probably superhero. Disney has kept one title continuing in comics to this day, Walt Disney Comics and Stories. Other then that title most of Disney's comics vanished in the 80s and 90s. Just recently did Disney relaunch some titles including Wall-E, Cars, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, and continued Walt Disney Comics and Stories.

DC is more known for the historic and iconic characters. From the Golden Age of comics which was the late 30s, ONLY three superhero characters in any company have been published consistently up to today. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Flash and Green Lantern did exist in the golden age, but they were different characters.

Marvel is more known for it's silver age, only having had three main characters even go back to the golden age. Those three are Namor The Sub mariner, Captain America and the Human Torch (not the Fantastic four version). Marvel is also known for teams including Fantastic Four, X-Men, Avengers, and others. Ironically when DC created Justice league of America, Marvel's editior asked Stan lee to create a team of superheroes and Fantastic Four was born.

DC includes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter, Nightwing (who is the original Robin), Robin, Hawkman, Atom, Spectre, Captain Marvel (Shazam), Catwoman, Joker, Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Brainiac, Lois Lane and countless others.

Marvel includes Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine, Namor, The X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Magneto, Dr Doom, Venom, Deadpool, Punisher, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider, Dr Strange, Luke Cage, Daredevil and again countless others.

To non-comic readers Superman and Batman still to this day are the most recognized and known characters, and Wonder Woman is at iconic stature as no female character Marvel, or any other company has, compares with her history or significance in comics for a female character. They even have a costume of Wonder Woman, a warner bros character on display in Pop Century's time capsules to represent the 70s when her TV show came on. Spider-Man is the most popular marvel character, though historically Captain America has been around longer, and Wolverine was huge in the 80s and 90s.

Marvel however has been more prevalent, especially lately in movies. Most, not all, but most of the major marvel characters already have movie contracts with studios before Disney bought them. In the 80s and 90s Comics made a shift away from being a kid audience and moved to a teenage audience, meaning they got darker and more adult. This helped character like batman, and Wolverine as their characters allowed for darker stories, whereas Superman and even Spider-Man to some degree were hurt as their friendly, positive attitude was being left behind. Marvel however has far more anti-heroes, at least prevalent ones then DC does. Over time they've even played up the concept of Wonder Woman being more warrior then compassionate hero to cater to the darker audience.

I know some will dislike me posting this, since it's not disney centered, but I thought helping people out in knowing what character is who's would be helpful :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom