Marvel Studios’ Thunderbolts*

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Marvel Studios’ top-secret Thunderbolts movie looks to have gained momentum as Deadline has learned that Jake Schreier is set as director of the new Marvel tentpole. Black Widow scribe Eric Pearson is penning the script with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige producing.

Not much is known about the plot of film other than it revolved around a group of supervillains (or at least characters who have played bad guys at one point in MCU) who go on missions for the government. Another element that remains vague is which character will be part of this team since the film it technically still is in development, though sources say Marvel has been in touch with certain individuals who already are part of the MCU to make sure to keep an opening in their schedules for next summer when it shoots.
That said, some of the characters that potentially could be starring or making some sort of appearance include Baron Zemo, Yelena Belova, Ghost, Taskmaster, The Abomination, US Agent and the Winter Soldier.

General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross is also a possibility since he is the person in the comics who assembles the first team — hence the name — but that is unconfirmed as no deal for any actor has closed."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Marvel Studios’ top-secret Thunderbolts movie looks to have gained momentum as Deadline has learned that Jake Schreier is set as director of the new Marvel tentpole. Black Widow scribe Eric Pearson is penning the script with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige producing.

Not much is known about the plot of film other than it revolved around a group of supervillains (or at least characters who have played bad guys at one point in MCU) who go on missions for the government. Another element that remains vague is which character will be part of this team since the film it technically still is in development, though sources say Marvel has been in touch with certain individuals who already are part of the MCU to make sure to keep an opening in their schedules for next summer when it shoots.
That said, some of the characters that potentially could be starring or making some sort of appearance include Baron Zemo, Yelena Belova, Ghost, Taskmaster, The Abomination, US Agent and the Winter Soldier.

General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross is also a possibility since he is the person in the comics who assembles the first team — hence the name — but that is unconfirmed as no deal for any actor has closed."

William Hurt who played Gen. Ross died this past March.

They'll need to find a way to connect his name to the group without that actor. They could replace the actor (called "do a War Machine") or have Val say that Gen. Ross set it up and put her in charge before he died or some other hand wavy thing.

mary2013

They'll need to find a way to connect his name to the group without that actor. They could replace the actor (called "do a War Machine") or have Val say that Gen. Ross set it up and put her in charge before he died or some other hand wavy thing.
Or they could do a Red Hulk story with a new actor. Being the Red Hulk would explain why Ross looks and sounds different. 🤷‍♀️

Disney Irish

Premium Member

You can call Sam Elliott. He did play Ross in the 2003 Hulk movie. I always thought he made a more convincing general than Hurt did, that coming from a big Hurt fan, The Doctor is one of my favorite movies of his.

Or they could do a Red Hulk story with a new actor. Being the Red Hulk would explain why Ross looks and sounds different. 🤷‍♀️

If they go the Red Hulk story then they would have to go the World War Hulks type story line. If you didn't know, in that story line it is learned that Ross fakes his own death in order to become Red Hulk. At the end of the story line Bruce tells him that he can never become Ross again.

MickeyMouse10

Sam Elliott could definitely take William Hurt's place. He's apologized for his comments about Benedict Cumberbatch's movie. So I'm sure Disney would take him back.

Or just use old clips of William Hurt, with a stand in injecting himself. And make him the Red Hulk the whole time. You wouldn't even need to get Elliot or Hurt for the voice. Since his voice is drastically different anyways after the transformation.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Isnt Elliot getting on up in years? If they recast, i think they need to go with a younger actor. With the whole multiverse thing they could bring another Ross over played by someone different.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
He transforms at will, so he could just remain Red Hulk all the time.
I have a feeling they'll do like I mentioned earlier in the thread, have Ross fake his own death and then just permanently become Red Hulk. Use some archival footage of Hurt with a combination of a lookalike actor and some digital face mapping and create a scene where Ross is killed by Red Hulk. And now you don't have to worry about recasting.

And in the future if you want to turn Red Hulk back into Ross, you can use a story line where the Super Solider serum is said to have changed his appearance. So then you can recast with a younger actor as needed. :)

BubbaisSleep

He may still be in it yet, just because he wasn't announced in the line up doesn't mean he isn't in the movie or in the line up at the end of the movie.
I mean… either way the person who created them is being sidelined. Still disappointed by that news & rightfully so. He should be front and center, not a support role.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I mean… either way the person who created them is being sidelined. Still disappointed by that news & rightfully so. He should be front and center, not a support role.
Well given that his current arc in the MCU is beyond where he was in the comics Thunderbolts it wouldn't make much sense.

But understand where you're coming from. Just have to hope he has a cameo or plays a part in the final act of the movie.

BubbaisSleep

Well given that his current arc in the MCU is beyond where he was in the comics Thunderbolts it wouldn't make much sense.

But understand where you're coming from. Just have to hope he has a cameo or plays a part in the final act of the movie.
Yeah you're right which is probably where F&WS dropped the ball a bit for me. But they could have developed Zemo in this project instead. I’m sure he will show up too and hopefully prove me wrong with a twist (I can see him letting Yelena think she’s putting the group together).

I’m still excited for this project as I am with most MCU projects. It’s a reactionary opinion. It almost feels like “let’s bring the X-men together without professor X.” Many would naturally would be like “wait a minute?”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom