Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

OrlandoRising

Or what if the site that can’t be named do have a way into their documents system to leak stuff? 😱 maybe it was actually stolen? I mean, regardless I think these sites that are quite popular shouldn’t take stolen property from potential disgruntled employees either... you’d think Disney would have some legal power here, and these sites could form some code of ethics.

I can't resist jumping in whenever the ethics of theme park reporting are being discussed.

I'm just a reporter, not an expert in media law, but the question of whether to publish leaked documents or concept art is largely an editorial one. There's not a direct precedent for someone posting potentially stolen theme park concept art, but in cases where news organizations have published leaked information -- even when it was unlawfully obtained by someone other than the publisher -- courts have said that's still protected by freedom of the press. The closest example I can think of is when Sony threatened to sue media outlets covering their email hack in 2014: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-media-from-publishing-details-of-the-hack/

Disney could threaten legal action, and there's a good chance a site with limited legal resources would comply out of fear, but that doesn't mean Disney's claim would win in the courts in the end.

As for a code of ethics? Sure, each news site should have ethical standards. I certainly do and I think the theme park world needs more of that. But that's different than not publishing something newsworthy because Disney wouldn't like it.

Last edited:

eddie104

The programmatic requirements usually come from the parks.

Walt Disney Imagineering definitely shares blame for their out of control costs. Weis tried doing Shanghai Disneyland on more of a Universal Creative model of greater delegation (which is less true today than it was at the start of the decade) and it didn’t work. Really cutting through the red tape is going to require someone with the knowledge and power to really hack away at the bureaucracy that has built up over decades (Gurr complained about this in the late 60s) at Disney and for that not happening I blame Iger. Iger is the one who doesn’t like theme parks and wanted to jettison them as part of his efforts to refocus Disney on its core competencies and he continues to not just meddle but place in charge people who share his lack of experience with the industry. Chapek is doing what his boss wants in ways that he can understand. He’s pushing smaller projects with franchises because they the things his boss wants: franchise attractions for a [relatively] lower cost. Really fixing the problems would be empowering someone to cut a lot of people out of the process, people who are often there initially for some legitimate reason but the sort of person who is going to understand the industry and process well enough to be able to make such decisions is someone Iger would not respect or trust.

And it’s really weird that I named four people in the above, all of them Bob.
But how come the Fantasy Springs expansion at TDS is costing less than GE yet it's adding a total of 4 rides and WDI is not cheap as you stated ??

britain

In the corner of the leaked concept art are these illustrations of the pivoting vehicle:

And this - just how open is this open house?

I had been assuming that the timeline here was pre-death of Tony Stark, and pre-Far From Home's revelation that Peter is SpiderMan, so I'm surprised to see his name explicitly shown here.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In the corner of the leaked concept art are these illustrations of the pivoting vehicle:

View attachment 398247

And this - just how open is this open house?

View attachment 398248

I had been assuming that the timeline here was pre-death of Tony Stark, and pre-Far From Home's revelation that Peter is SpiderMan, so I'm surprised to see his name explicitly shown here.
FYI - The Marvel Theme Park Universe (not my name) is suppose to be separate from the movies.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
True - but that's really just to keep rabid comic book guys at bay. Just like the GotG in Mission Breakout look A LOT like the ones in the movies, I'm expecting this SpiderMan to look a lot like the new films with Tom Holland.
Yes, its expected that all the Marvel attractions in Disney Parks around the world will use the movie characters. Buts its just they are in a separate universe, or Multiverse if you will.

socalifornian

The forces of Thanos are reporting that the red car trolley calendar says it’s reopening December 31, 2020, and that it’s probably a placeholder for 2021

Attachments

• 53783A89-F637-4072-ACD3-DA2D212FEBE2.jpeg
    53783A89-F637-4072-ACD3-DA2D212FEBE2.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

britain

The forces of Thanos are reporting that the red car trolley calendar says its reopening December 31, 2020, that its a probably placeholder for 2021

That is interesting - so Spidey and this new Marvel area will open up next summer, but Red Car will still be unavailable. Sounds like the Red Car garage will still be impacted by further Avengers attraction construction.

truecoat

The forces of Thanos are reporting that the red car trolley calendar says it’s reopening December 31, 2020, and that it’s probably a placeholder for 2021

It looks like they are doing construction at the Buena Vista street station. The end of the track there is behind walls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom