Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Professortango1

It may be fairly well known, but it's not an acronym (unless you pronounce it "em-cue". It's actually an initialism (as in "em-cee-you").

You can thank your friendly neighborhood techwriter. LOL

Thank you! This always bugs me. Initialiasm is saying the letter (FBI, CIA, USA, DCA, WDW) whereas Acronym is when you read the new word the initials spell out (SCUBA, MILF, WED).

Old Mouseketeer

Thank you! This always bugs me. Initialiasm is saying the letter (FBI, CIA, USA, DCA, WDW) whereas Acronym is when you read the new word the initials spell out (SCUBA, MILF, WED).

Thanks, but as I reported upthread the history of acronym/initialism is actually murkier and more blurred than I had thought. Technically, it makes sense to differentiate them. But in general usage--is it really that important? I enjoy it as a tongue-in-cheek triviality. But I walk a fine line between thinking I'm oh-so-clever and having others think I'm a jerk. YMMV.

Old Mouseketeer

just as long as we can continue to get the cringe-worthy acting out of the CGI rendering..

IMHO that's part of the charm (although I thought he was especially convincing as Hugh Hefner). I would be outraged if it was anything less. I saw him at D23 three years ago when he got the door prize and Chapek kept calling him Stanley. It was sublime!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At IAAPA today (11/14) Disney provided more details of the ride experience for GotG at Epcot. Its a Vekoma coaster where the cars rotate in a forced (not free moving) 360 degrees in a similar fashion to an omnimover. So they can position the guest in a specific direction toward a show scene.

Here is a video of part of the presentation that shows test footage:

So the reason for posting this here is that this could very well be the type of ride system going to be used for the Avengers coaster coming to DCA at some point. Now I expect the show building to be much smaller in scale (unless they go underground with most of it) but it should be a fun indoor attraction in what I'm calling an "omni-coaster".

Last edited:

britain

Too late, CG Stan is already in Spider-Man @ IOA.

not to mention Big Hero 6!

1542296319266.png

Hatbox Ghostbuster

er...wasn't the original Avenger's coaster scrapped because it didn't address the capacity issues? I see no solutions found in the spinning "storytelling" coaster Chapek is touting for GotG. I strongly hope we'd get something different/better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
er...wasn't the original Avenger's coaster scrapped because it didn't address the capacity issues? I see no solutions found in the spinning "storytelling" coaster Chapek is touting for GotG. I strongly hope we'd get something different/better.

I know, build two of the giant boxes and have two tracks for that extra capacity!

Disney Irish

Premium Member

There are many ways to address capacity issues. For example longer track, more show scenes, longer trains, multiple trains, or even multiple tracks. Since this is going to be an "omni-coaster" (trademark pending on the name ;)) I assume it'll be a powered coaster. This will allow them to do things you can't do with a normal coaster such as stop and start in the middle of the track if needed.

The whole point of me posting the video was to showoff the omnimover aspect of the cars. This gives a whole new level to what can be done with a Disney coaster.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

There are many ways to address capacity issues. For example longer track, more show scenes, longer trains, multiple trains, or even multiple tracks. Since this is going to be an "omni-coaster" (trademark pending on the name ;)) I assume it'll be a powered coaster. This will allow them to do things you can't do with a normal coaster such as stop and start in the middle of the track if needed.

The whole point of me posting the video was to showoff the omnimover aspect of the cars. This gives a whole new level to what can be done with a Disney coaster.
Having cars that spin doesn't equate to any of those things. Also, not entirely sure how having more show scenes increases the throughput...but ok!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Having cars that spin doesn't equate to any of those things. Also, not entirely sure how having more show scenes increases the throughput...but ok!

Again the spinning aspect of the car was not the show capacity, but what they can do with a omnimover style car on a roller coaster train.

More show scenes equates to a longer ride, which allows for more trains to be on the track at one time, allowing for more capacity.

Professortango1

Again the spinning aspect of the car was not the show capacity, but what they can do with a omnimover style car on a roller coaster train.

More show scenes equates to a longer ride, which allows for more trains to be on the track at one time, allowing for more capacity.

The length of ride won't affect how many people board per hour. Regardless of ride length, Disney is pretty good at having a ride vehicle load while another dispatches. This means a ride which seats about 20 guests like POTC will always have a faster moving line and higher capacity vs a ride like WDW's Splash Mountain which has 8 guests per log. Even if they made Splash Mountain 5 times as long, it would still only load 8 guests at a time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom