Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes. Can you believe it!??!? The Weatherman flexed his giant ... um ... muscles and UNI quivered and he traded Brent Musburger to NBC-UNI for the rights to all the Marvel characters. All of the twits were so right. All bow down to BOB!!!

OK, not really, but the thread subject still may well be true, my friends (and assorted crazies who can't quit me.)

Did that get your attention? Good. That is my reason for being, after all. At least that's what I hear frauds, addicts and con men say.

While Bob Iger lamented at the recent shareholders meeting in Chicago that TWDC would likely never be able to use its stable of Marvel characters (or the ones everyone knows and cares about) at its ATM in the swamps, there is one major exception that every fanboi sleeping in his Hulk boxers knows about.

Yup. I am talking about the characters from the second best Marvel film -- behind Deadpool, which doesn't count because it's not controlled by The Weatherman and not part of something called The Marvel Cinematic Universe -- namely The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Well, if current plans (and they are subject to change, but accurate as of this posting and that is all I can ever offer) follow through, sometime in either 2017 or 2018 you will get to experience a true GotG E-Ticket at The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios. Fast construction timeline you say. Or the Spirit is smoking on some bad Kissimmee weed you say?

Nope. Welcome to The Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror. Yes. Really. Yes, Disney wants to destroy (or make over depending on how you look at it) one of its high points of creative product in the last 25 years to tie it to a BRAND that it can't even use to advertise and promote, in Florida that is.

You see, like almost everything these days, the genesis of this project is in Anaheim where ToT isn't an anchor of a park (DCA), just part of its menu of offerings. A park that can take full advantage of The Weatherman's acquisition spree (the only thing that marks his tenure as head of the world's largest entertainment company) and is planning a major Marvel addition right next door to an old hotel on Hollywood's dark side. WDI has pushed this concept heavily and TDA wants to do it badly.

Having to license The Twilight Zone IP from CBS, IP that most people not born prior to 1980 have little if any knowledge of -- just makes it even more attractive.

Let's forget that this is one of the best attractions Disney has ever built. We do have toon characters in Small World and Jack Sparrow soon to be in every Pirates attraction worldwide, so shilling IP by changing classic attractions isn't something Disney is afraid to do.

They want to market it as DL's 'BIG, NEW THING' for 2017 and the first of many new major Marvel attractions in DCA (and other parks not located in the Florida swamps) before The Star Wars Experience (oops, did I name drop prematurely? Happens with age!) debuts in DL in 12/18 . If they have their way, the current Anaheim ToT will close around the first oft the year and reopen before summer with an entirely new GotG based show, still (somehow I am told) centered on a haunted hotel from the 1930s. How? Who knows? Stitch and Buzz Lightyear belong in Tomorrowland, right?

The hitch right now is, naturally, WDW. They are interested in this, but they see it more as a temporary overlay to draw people into their moribund Studios park (the one they actively engage in deceptive advertising in because telling people that the real Star Wars stuff won't arrive before 2020-21 probably wouldn't be good for business). They (again naturally) are looking to cut the budget and the timeline because shutting the ToT next January might just finally be the straw that breaks the camel's back (hell, even 1-2 lifestylers might tell people to not visit for more than half a day out of their 11 day on property MAGICal $11,000 WDW vacations ). At DCA, this will be the gateway to Marvel BRAND Land and has to look and act the part. TDO is whining about money and downtime (they will soon count restrooms and ODV carts and Marsha the special needs CM at The ABC Commissary that thinks she does a great Daisy Duck impression as attractions).

But right now it looks like this has the momentum needed to happen on BOTH coasts provided TDO is willing to shoulder the costs and realize this will be a permanent change, not a summer marketing deal.

And, no, this means nothing at all regarding other Marvel IP ... and, no, I don't think UNI cares one way or the other.

Lee

Adventurer
Yes. Can you believe it!??!? The Weatherman flexed his giant ... um ... muscles and UNI quivered and he traded Brent Musburger to NBC-UNI for the rights to all the Marvel characters. All of the twits were so right. All bow down to BOB!!!

OK, not really, but the thread subject still may well be true, my friends (and assorted crazies who can't quit me.)

Did that get your attention? Good. That is my reason for being, after all. At least that's what I hear frauds, addicts and con men say.

While Bob Iger lamented at the recent shareholders meeting in Chicago that TWDC would likely never be able to use its stable of Marvel characters (or the ones everyone knows and cares about) at its ATM in the swamps, there is one major exception that every fanboi sleeping in his Hulk boxers knows about.

Yup. I am talking about the characters from the second best Marvel film -- behind Deadpool, which doesn't count because it's not controlled by The Weatherman and not part of something called The Marvel Cinematic Universe -- namely The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Well, if current plans (and they are subject to change, but accurate as of this posting and that is all I can ever offer) follow through, sometime in either 2017 or 2018 you will get to experience a true GotG E-Ticket at The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios. Fast construction timeline you say. Or the Spirit is smoking on some bad Kissimmee weed you say?

Nope. Welcome to The Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror. Yes. Really. Yes, Disney wants to destroy (or make over depending on how you look at it) one of its high points of creative product in the last 25 years to tie it to a BRAND that it can't even use to advertise and promote, in Florida that is.

You see, like almost everything these days, the genesis of this project is in Anaheim where ToT isn't an anchor of a park (DCA), just part of its menu of offerings. A park that can take full advantage of The Weatherman's acquisition spree (the only thing that marks his tenure as head of the world's largest entertainment company) and is planning a major Marvel addition right next door to an old hotel on Hollywood's dark side. WDI has pushed this concept heavily and TDA wants to do it badly.

Having to license The Twilight Zone IP from CBS, IP that most people not born prior to 1980 have little if any knowledge of -- just makes it even more attractive.

Let's forget that this is one of the best attractions Disney has ever built. We do have toon characters in Small World and Jack Sparrow soon to be in every Pirates attraction worldwide, so shilling IP by changing classic attractions isn't something Disney is afraid to do.

They want to market it as DL's 'BIG, NEW THING' for 2017 and the first of many new major Marvel attractions in DCA (and other parks not located in the Florida swamps) before The Star Wars Experience (oops, did I name drop prematurely? Happens with age!) debuts in DL in 12/18 . If they have their way, the current Anaheim ToT will close around the first oft the year and reopen before summer with an entirely new GotG based show, still (somehow I am told) centered on a haunted hotel from the 1930s. How? Who knows? Stitch and Buzz Lightyear belong in Tomorrowland, right?

The hitch right now is, naturally, WDW. They are interested in this, but they see it more as a temporary overlay to draw people into their moribund Studios park (the one they actively engage in deceptive advertising in because telling people that the real Star Wars stuff won't arrive before 2020-21 probably wouldn't be good for business). They (again naturally) are looking to cut the budget and the timeline because shutting the ToT next January might just finally be the straw that breaks the camel's back (hell, even 1-2 lifestylers might tell people to not visit for more than half a day out of their 11 day on property MAGICal $11,000 WDW vacations ). At DCA, this will be the gateway to Marvel BRAND Land and has to look and act the part. TDO is whining about money and downtime (they will soon count restrooms and ODV carts and Marsha the special needs CM at The ABC Commissary that thinks she does a great Daisy Duck impression as attractions).

But right now it looks like this has the momentum needed to happen on BOTH coasts provided TDO is willing to shoulder the costs and realize this will be a permanent change, not a summer marketing deal.

And, no, this means nothing at all regarding other Marvel IP ... and, no, I don't think UNI cares one way or the other.
Oh, god....
I'm gonna puke then go back into hiding.
:banghead:

Is nothing sacred?
Inmates running the asylum...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

:eek:

Animaniac93-98

:hungover:

WDW1974

Original Poster
While I have your attention, grab your Friday's Chinese Chicken Salad leftovers and let's talk some Shanghai.

First, how it affects parks stateside. Soarin Over the World will, as I have said before but is now confirmed, debut at EPCOT and DCA on June17th, almost a day after SDL opens with it as a unique attraction. Take this to the bank as done @wdwmagic.

The budget cuts continue at WDW (and DL) to make up for the overspending that is happening in China. Chefs are being told to buy cheaper ingredients and plate the food differently so smaller portions can be served, all while prices rise (and not one Lifestyler/Tweeter/Blogger or Podcaster will rip them for it). You could serve these people a pile of cow pooh on a plate and so long as it was from Disney, they'd eat it and tell you how tasty it was.

BTW, while there were a few reasons for not having a 24-hour day at the parks to usher in Olaf's favorite season, the biggest reason why an event planned to be annual one won't be happening is budget cuts due to Shanghai.

The latest word from my folks on the ground there is that it's still a total mess. The word now is that on opening day less than 50% of exterior paint will be completed. You read that right. Many facades and structures will simply have a basic and detail-free paint job slapped on until the real WDI finishes can be applied through the end of calendar 2016. It really is THAT bad.

From a friend in the know:

"The American parks have been asked to cut labor and expenses by double digit percentages in order to help pad the bottom line of the Parks & Resorts division while Shanghai slurps up huge amounts of labor, captial and free cash flow to get the park open on time and without too much embarassment. [WDW and DLR] are now directly subsidizing the Chinese Communist Party to get the Shanghai property barely able to open on time by June. Can you imagine what the vehemently anti-Communist and pro-American Walt would have thought of that?"

My response would be "Walt Who?" Disney doesn't care. Iger doesn't care. Staggs doesn't care. Chappie doesn't care. Georgie doesn't care. Dr. Blondie doesn't care. So should anyone else, right?

And even with all this added capital (anyone still asking where that $800 million went ... beyond out and out graft?) and labor, WDI and Bob are in a panic because major attractions simply are so far behind being ready for June that some people on-site have gone to saying "June of what year?" They recently ordered a batch of senior Imagineers, headlined by Tom Morris, over to SDL to add oversight and do ''whatever they can" to get the park ready to go. A few balked and were given the Eddie Sotto treatment, as in "You can go or you can resign, but you can't stay."

Some day a book is going to be written on this project ... and I don't mean a Disney coffee table one either.

Speaking of China, as I am wont to do, no one seemed to notice that Andrew Kam resigned recently as Managing Director of HKDL and was replaced by Sam Lau. Yes, that one. Do you think there are two of them? Kam had been the SAR face of the resort and a big outward fan of it. Lau was born there and has a Chinese face and has experience working in exec positions where he got to do nothing.

Finally, one last shot at WDW management: you expect people to book lunches six months ahead of time and attractions 60 days out, yet you are opening a brand new show at DAK, which people will need to reserve, and you refuse to provide operating hours or showtimes one month out. Yup, stay classy WDW.

JUFL2019

I generally respect 99.9999% of the rumors and news you drop, and actively respect and look forward to your posts....but by god I hope this is in that small percentage of things that is incorrect, that or you are playing an early April Fool joke on us....

asianway

I knew they were doing an attraction, but didn't know they had exclusivity on it. So does that rule out Iron Man replacing Star Tours in DL?
I think it's more an X number of years thing, they had exclusive TSL rights for Asia for 5 years so it was heavily speculated that was part of Shanghai phase 2. I think that pad ended up marvel/launch bay

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom