Marvel Characters at Kings Island

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster

Magenta Panther

Fine, King's Island can have ALL of the Marvel characters. Just keep 'em out of WDW.

images

Skip

For what it's worth... I remember a (previously) local science center in Columbus, Ohio (called COSI) had a similar one-day event where guests had an opportunity to meet Ironman. While of course this was a science center and not a theme park... it does demonstrate that the characters have made the odd appearance at themed experiences. That said... Kings Island is by all accounts an amusement park (with multiple attempts at theming, having distinct areas not unlike Disney or Universal), so this should be a clear violation of the contract.

Curious...

Vegas Disney Fan

Would it be Disney or Universal that's allowing this?

Disney owns Marvel but Universal owns the rights so I'm thinking Universal approved this to make a little cash on the side.

seascape

Would it be Disney or Universal that's allowing this?

Disney owns Marvel but Universal owns the rights so I'm thinking Universal approved this to make a little cash on the side.
The contract calls for shrinkage of the territory rights. In any case it's clear the rights are exclusive in Florida theme parks. Universal made a huge mistake by no keeping the rights they once had worldwide. It was universal who just gave them up for free. That is one of the reasons I believe they will in the not so do stand future give them up before 2030.

lazyboy97o

The contract calls for shrinkage of the territory rights. In any case it's clear the rights are exclusive in Florida theme parks. Universal made a huge mistake by no keeping the rights they once had worldwide. It was universal who just gave them up for free. That is one of the reasons I believe they will in the not so do stand future give them up before 2030.
There is no shrinkage beyond East of the Mississippi.

seascape

There is no shrinkage beyond East of the Mississippi.
I agree with you based on the way I originally read it, but it keeps talking about different distances from parks. I have to think that if this were a violation then universal would have taken some action. Since they haven't it must be allowed and the only thing I can think of is their exclusive territory shrank based on a clause in the contract. This has to be the case because of the prior issue with the monorail. What else could it be?

wdrive

It feels weird that characters that are meeting at Disneyland are also meeting at Universal Studios Orlando and Kings Island. Yet they're not at WDW or Universal Hollywood.

seascape

It feels weird that characters that are meeting at Disneyland are also meeting at Universal Studios Orlando and Kings Island. Yet they're not at WDW or Universal Hollywood.
I agree it's weird that the characters are at Disney land and not WDW, which is why I think they should add them to Disney Springs. It would accomplish two things. First draw more families to the Springs and second increase souvenir sales at the Springs.

Chezman1399

I believe from back when I read the contract after 10 years of initial build any characters/groups not in use at Universal can be used anywhere, including East of the Mississippi. The contract specifically states permanent attractions. That's why I'd assume Hulk is not with the other 3. Disney could do something with a limited set of Marvel Characters at WDW if they chose, however take out X-Men, Hulk, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four related heroes and you're left with a lot of heroes that don't exactly meet the family friendly criteria and a mixture of characters without broad appeal.

On top of that: Disney makes money in Islands of Adventure, is happy with their deal there as far as I know, and I doubt they would want to cause confusion between the parks.

Matt_Black

Disney could do something with a limited set of Marvel Characters at WDW if they chose, however take out X-Men, Hulk, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four related heroes and you're left with a lot of heroes that don't exactly meet the family friendly criteria and a mixture of characters without broad appeal.

Oh, if only they were coming out with movies like a space opera about a rag-tag band of misfits or an animated film about a boy inventor and his lovable crime-fighting robot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom