Marathon Weekend 2012

Ariel484

Dave, thanks for posting about the Disney Visa discount. I didn't get an email like you did, but I googled "Disney Visa marathon discount" and found the link there (can't get it to work on my work computer because it doesn't have Flash installed, but I was able to look at it on my phone).

EDIT: Here's the link for the visa discount: http://disneyrewards.disney.go.com/offers/wdwmarathonmar11.html

EDIT #2: I clicked on the link to register and prices are listed as follows:

$280 for the goofy
$125 for the half and fill marathon

Scrolling further down, it explains the offer: "Savings is based upon the combination of the early registration discount on the race entry fees...combined with an additional $15 credit for the Half Marathon or Full Marathon and $30 credit for the Goofy Challenge for Disney Rewards cardmembers."

dreamfinder

So which rate is better? The Visa holder rate or the previous runner rate? Cause they sent out that same $20 off to Princess half runners as well. And I have the Visa. Hmm...

Cause the way I read it is the Visa rate is $15 off each race, for a total of $30 off Goofy. But the previous race discount seems to be $20 off the Full or Goofy. So the previous race discount seems to be better if you are only doing the full, but the Visa is better if you are going Goofy. Have to wait til it goes live to confirm this though.

Ariel484

So which rate is better? The Visa holder rate or the previous runner rate? Cause they sent out that same $20 off to Princess half runners as well. And I have the Visa. Hmm...

Well I was actually able to sign up for the marathon 2 hours ago using that Disney Visa link :)eek: I still don't think it's hit me that I actually signed up!) and it came out to $133-something = $125 + a little over $8 in processing fees...:brick: Then I thought about it and I actually think that the previous runner rate is going to be $5 cheaper for marathon registration. I entered in my previous runner discount code as well, just out of curiosity, and the Disney site wasn't fooled.

The way I'm reading it, from what I posted earlier, I got the Disney Visa credit for $15 off of the early registration fee, so I guess the early registration fee is $140. The email with the "previous runner code" said it would be $20 off en entry fee "in addition to published early registration savings." So $120, right? Oops. That's what happens when I don't have my coffee early enough. :hammer:

But I think that's just for anyone signing up for the marathon. From the way I'm reading my email, it looks like the previous runner discount is for the marathon only, not for the Goofy or the half. So anyone running the half or the Goofy with a Disney Visa can at least get some kind of discount.

I guess we'll find out at noon...

EDIT: Prices are up...marathon registration is $140, so the previous runner discount - $20 off - is better. D'oh! :hammer:

dreamfinder

But I think that's just for anyone signing up for the marathon. From the way I'm reading my email, it looks like the previous runner discount is for the marathon only, not for the Goofy or the half. So anyone running the half or the Goofy with a Disney Visa can at least get some kind of discount.

I guess we'll find out at noon...

EDIT: Prices are up...marathon registration is $140, so the previous runner discount - $20 off - is better. D'oh! :hammer:

As a thank you for participating in this year's Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend, we'd like to invite you to register for the 2012 Walt Disney World Marathon in January and save $20 on your entry fee*. That's in addition to the published early registration savings! Just register online by May 15, 2011, and use coupon code XXXXXXXXXX**. (Registration opens March 15, 2011.)

Well, that's all for now. But we hope to see you again in January! Thanks, and congrats again.
*Restrictions apply. Subject to availability. Offer valid March 15-May 15, 2011, for Marathon and Goofy Challenge registration only. Offer subject to change or termination without notice. Offer cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions, coupons or discounts. Registration subject to availability. Dates, times and prices subject to change. All races are subject to eligibility requirements and capacity limits. Registration fees are nonrefundable.

That was the snippet from the Princess half email. Not sure if the regular marathon weekend email was was different or not.

Once the regular registration goes live I will throw that discount at the Goofy through the regular site and see if it comes out better than the Visa or not.

dreamfinder

That was the snippet from the Princess half email. Not sure if the regular marathon weekend email was was different or not.

Once the regular registration goes live I will throw that discount at the Goofy through the regular site and see if it comes out better than the Visa or not.

And the regular one is live as well. And the results are in. As of now, Goofy is better with the Visa discount, Full is better with the Princess discount.

Pulled the trigger on a Dopey! They do need to make that official and put out a medal cause that would be awesome!

TakeMeThere81

I can't see Disney finding multiple relay points being cost effective. Admittedly, I don't really see the draw of being able to do half a marathon in a relay form the day after you could have just run a half marathon. But having lots of change points means lots more infrastructure, not to mention needing the space for change points. Which means more confusion, interruptions and delays for the regular guests. Also, their races tend to draw more out of towners (I think) than locals. And I can't see many people traveling just to do a short distance. I think they noticed this in dropping most of the shorter distance races in favor of more half marathons.

I totally see the draw. I ran the PHM last month and a relay is a great way for an individual to cover ground they didn't get to see during their Half. I.E. I'd love to do the second Half leg to run through DHS and AK. You get the new experience without having to run a full marathon. Plus it is a way to run with a friend while not having to stick to each other's pace.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Registered for the Goofy...I can hear those three medal jangling around my neck already! This past marathon weekend was great, so I have high expectations...plus a special Donald medal makes it even better.

Figment82

Has anyone received the discount code from participating in the 2011 Marathon Weekend events? I got an email shortly after the race saying that the code would be included in a future email, but I haven't seen it yet. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed it.

dreamfinder

Has anyone received the discount code from participating in the 2011 Marathon Weekend events? I got an email shortly after the race saying that the code would be included in a future email, but I haven't seen it yet. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed it.

I imagine that is the email that Phonedave quoted back in post 20.

dkp

That's what I figured... but nothing in my inbox yet. Apparently that's runDisney's kind way of telling me I shouldn't be going for the Full!

I actually sent runDisney an email about it on Wednesday; I have the code because of my group of running friends, but never got the email. I asked them if they'd sent out the group email and, if so, to resend it to my email address. This is the response I got:

The discount email went out on Monday, March 14.
Thanks,
Run Disney

I guess they really don't want me to go Goofy in 2012.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
Is each code unique? If not, can somebody send it to me via PM...you know I was involved, so it's not like I'm cheating the system.

I want to get registered ASAP, and I haven't received my email yet.

Erin_Akey

I am SO TORN on whether or not to do the half again or try the full. I am doing the Wine and Dine and just do not know if my schedule will allow me the training time needed to do the full the right way.

DECISIONS!!!!!!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
I just received a reply from disney, sending me the discount code.

So if you have not tried it, keep trying! I sent an email via the rundisney website.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I'm registered for the half, and I'm hoping to do a 2:15.

But my wife is also registered and depending on how her training and my training go, I'll have to make a decision in the Fall if I want to go for my PR or run with her again.

Unless it looks like she'll be able to run at a 2:30 pace, I think I'll probably go on my own and meet her at the finish line.

lukacseven

Registered for the half and the marathon relay. I figured the commemorative 1/2 medal and the inaugural relay medal would be cool. With my work schedule and the weather in the Northeast the past 2 years, training for a full marathon has been really difficult.

fmingo36

Registered for the Goofy...I can hear those three medal jangling around my neck already! This past marathon weekend was great, so I have high expectations...plus a special Donald medal makes it even better.

I knew you'd want that special Donald medal! :lol:

hillernj

question

my wife wants to run in the princess half marathon, since we are both new to running we want to train and run it together, can men run in the princess half marathon?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom