Manicure at WDW Resort?

redbrick22

Original Poster
Hello everyone. I am planning to propose to my girlfriend when we go to Disney in early December. I was thinking that the following day she could get her nails done before going to the park. I would propose the day we arrive and I am sure that girls like to have their nails done when showing off the ring. Her family would be there as well, she won't know until afterwards, and I just think it would be neat to arrange her a manicure ahead of time. I saw that the Grand Floridian offers a Manicure, but it doesn't mention much on the website ( Whats included? ect). I was wondering if any of ya'll had used Disney spas, or gotten your nails done there. I am in no way informed about getting your nails done, so I would like some help from people who have used/have experience with the service. THANKS!!!

cw1982

I've never done it before, but some of us gals are very picky about who does our nails... it's a little like our hair. We find someone who we like, and we prefer to stick with them and tend to notice "flaws" in the work of anyone who is not that special professional. Does she normally keep her nails done? If so, does she have a place she normally goes? Maybe another way of handling this could be to get her a gift certificate to her favorite nail spot... a sort of "just because" gift before the trip (at least that would be a good way to spin it LOL), and encourage her to go have a relaxing outing using her gift before you leave.

Not knocking the idea of letting her do them at Disney... just offering an alternative that might be more affordable and keep her in her comfort zone, if that matters to her.

redbrick22

Original Poster
Thank you for the response and you make perfect sense! The issue is she normally does her own nails, we have been dating a few years and she has gotten them done maybe 3 times, so I think if I bought her a nail certificate she would be quite suspicious. She already is suspicious and I have until December. I had thought before to do exactly what you were saying, until I talked to some people and they said that may make her suspicious since she doesn't go often and I have never bought her a certificate.

With that being said, she does have a place that she prefers to go to, but she is not very picky when it comes to nails. I also agree that it would be much more affordable outside of Disney. Maybe it would be best to wait until getting back home and then give her a certificate to get her nails done?

cw1982

Thank you for the response and you make perfect sense! The issue is she normally does her own nails, we have been dating a few years and she has gotten them done maybe 3 times, so I think if I bought her a nail certificate she would be quite suspicious. She already is suspicious and I have until December. I had thought before to do exactly what you were saying, until I talked to some people and they said that may make her suspicious since she doesn't go often and I have never bought her a certificate.

With that being said, she does have a place that she prefers to go to, but she is not very picky when it comes to nails. I also agree that it would be much more affordable outside of Disney. Maybe it would be best to wait until getting back home and then give her a certificate to get her nails done?

For the price that Disney would charge for a manicure, you could probably buy her a gift certificate for a "spa day"... manicure, pedicure, maybe even a little something extra to go with it. I think if you spin it as more of a "why don't you go relax for the afternoon and take a break from all the trip preparations?" she might be a little less suspicious than if you say "here; go get your nails done." If she looks suspicious, you could always just say that you know how hard she works and you want her to be able to relax a little before you guys leave for the trip.

Honestly, though, if she normally does her own nails, she may be likely to have them neat and ready to go of her own accord ahead of time. When you say she normally does them, does she maintain them, or is it a once in a blue moon kinda deal where she does them on a whim?

redbrick22

Original Poster
I didn't think that she may have already done them ahead of the trip. When I say she does them, she maintains them. However she doesn't do acrylic nails or french nails like the salons. Her birthday is in October, I wonder if I got her a certificate then maybe she would be less suspicious and already think in her head "Ill use this before the trip"? Sorry to sound like I am downing your plan, because I really appreciate the advise, but I am very worried about her having the slightest hint, I even have both our families going down without her knowing... EEK

cw1982

I didn't think that she may have already done them ahead of the trip. When I say she does them, she maintains them. However she doesn't do acrylic nails or french nails like the salons. Her birthday is in October, I wonder if I got her a certificate then maybe she would be less suspicious and already think in her head "Ill use this before the trip"? Sorry to sound like I am downing your plan, because I really appreciate the advise, but I am very worried about her having the slightest hint, I even have both our families going down without her knowing... EEK

I don't feel like you're downing my plan at all LOL... her birthday might be a perfect time to give her the gift certificate if that's something you want to do.

I'm also not the type to do acrylics, and it's mainly because I always end up breaking one, which can be very painful at worst, but at the very least is annoying and can be time consuming to fix. They're not good for our nails, because the nail salon workers always drill down on the nails to make them thinner to make room for the fake ones, and this leaves our real nails paper-thin, which creates issues when we go to remove them when we get tired of getting them filled in. I don't know your gf, so I can't say if this is her line of thinking or not. Maybe ask some of her family members about it, if you think they would know her stance on fake nails.

Best of luck with everything... I think it's awesome that you're putting this much thought into all of it! :)

redbrick22

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! She got acrylic nails once for graduation. And she told me about how they file the nails down and such. I guess that would be her choice to get her nails done however she would like. Thanks for the encouragement. I have spent a LOT of time on this. Between planning the families going down, the ring, the engagement, and the trip! Its worth it though!

DisneyPrincess5

I think it's very sweet that you think she'd like her nails to be done but TRUST ME, once that ring is on her hand she won't even remember that she has nails, never mind think of them when showing her rock! Good luck and enjoy! Early congrats.

redbrick22

Original Poster
Awesome thank you for the response! $35 isnt too bad for Disney and that would keep the whole thing a secret. I will have to keep that in mind. Where is that located? Near downtown Disney? Thanks

cw1982

Just a few thoughts about the price list that is above here...

1) Shellac nails are a waste on a pedicure... the fact that this is even on here bothers me because it's somewhat of a scam IMO lol. Makes me a little leery about them in general.
2) This resort is not on Disney property, so the price list here may not reflect the prices you'd see at Grand Floridian.
3) A classic manicure might be at a fairly reasonable price, but regular polish tends
to last no more than a week... so to me that wouldn't be worth it because they would be chipping by the time she got home if not before.

Not knocking it... just some perspective.

redbrick22

Original Poster
I knew there was a reason why I asked questions here.... Thats a great point, that I hadnt thought of. Hmmm sounds like I really need to find a way to have her get her nails done ahead of time.:happy:

cw1982

IMO, the best option would be to give her the gift certificate on her birthday if you don't think there's any other way that she wouldn't catch on. While there's a chance she might use it well before the trip, she may decide to keep the acrylics on her nails and get them filled in as needed between then and the trip, and then it would be a non-issue ;)

And the free wine thing seems to be a popular trend in nail salons lately. You might look around at salons near you that also have free wine if you think she'd enjoy that, and then price out how much it would cost to let her do a pedicure and a full set there. She could then make an afternoon of it as she sees fit, still get to enjoy the free wine (lol) and she'll still be none the wiser.

PigletIsMyCat

I always get some kind of Disney design on my nails before a trip to WDW. Any chance you could mention that to prompt her to get her nails done before a trip?

'I was looking at this website and I saw all of these cool Disney nail designs. You should look at some of these cool pictures.'

THIS. this is a great idea. 'while i was looking at (trip planning lists or packing lists or something she'd believe) online, i found these.' i think if my hubby showed me something like that before my trip, i'd be all over pinterest finding cute designs to either try myself or bring to a nail salon! (actually, now i think i'm going to do that for my trip in october!)

redbrick22

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies ladies. Those are great ideas! I don't think she has ever done a Mickey ears design on her nails. That would fit perfectly into the engagement trip and the photos of the ring to come afterwards! Great ideas

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom