'Man or Muppet' should win song Oscar....

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Check it out:

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/12/9379777-man-or-muppet-should-win-song-oscar

'Man or Muppet' should win song Oscar
Disney

Muppet Walter and human Jason Segel sing "Man or Muppet" in the new "Muppets" movie. Can the song take home an Oscar?
By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper
Don't ask me to predict the Oscars, I always get them wrong. Especially the best original song category. I'm still bitter about the fact that the awesome "Blame Canada," from "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut," lost out to a Phil Collins tune in 2000. (I blame Canada. Or Anne Murray.)

But all would (almost) be forgiven if "Man or Muppet," a hilarious tune from the movie "The Muppets," picks up a best original song Oscar at next year's ceremony. (Bonus: It's written by "Flight of the Conchords" star Bret McKenzie, who told New York Magazine that "Muppets" star Jason Segel "really channels his inner Meatloaf to slam that power ballad.")

After girlfriend Mary leaves him a note demanding that he decide who (or what) he is, Gary (Segel) wanders through Hollywood singing the mournful tune. Meanwhile, his Muppet brother Walter has the same internal debate.

"Am I a muppet, or am I a man?" the two wonder. Segel finds himself playing the piano with a Muppet who looks like him (and also a little like "Sesame Street's" Guy Smiley) while Walter tickles the ivories with the human he most resembles ... "Big Bang Theory" star Jim Parsons.

Eventually, both Gary and Walter reach similar conclusions. "I'm a Muppet of a man! I'm Muppet Man!" sings Gary, while Walter decides "I'm a very manly Muppet!" But are they Oscar winners? We'll find out in 2012.

Disneyfanman

Loved the song and loved the movie. Is it Oscar quality? I think so because it was simple, original, and catchy. We were singing it to each other all evening. I'm a little disappointed in the Box Office for The Muppets, but hopefully that won't hurt the chances of it at least being nominated.

Thrill Seeker

Man or Muppet is a cute song, but the winner should be either "Life's A Happy Song" or "Pictures In My Head". Both of those songs are not only catchy, but fairly deep in their own respective ways and very Oscar worthy. Either way, The Muppets should at the very least receive at least 1 Best Original Song nomination. (It was my personal Best Picture of 2011 winner).

The Best Song category only had two nominees! Kinda sad that the Academy doesn't really care about film song-writing anymore, especially with the history of the category.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom