Mama Melrose's ... Honest Opinons Please

71dsp

We did it for the Fantasmic package as well. No complaints from us the couple of times we've been there. We're going back on our next trip.

lebeau

We ate there this past Saturday (Fantasmic Package) and LOVED it! I enjoyed the menu...steak..pasta seafood....I plan on eating there next trip as well...

Did you also get the pre-plated dessert or did you get to order your own. I ask because we have the Fantasmic Package booked and I have heard that includes a pre-plated dessert to share.

TaraWdopeyfan

Did you also get the pre-plated dessert or did you get to order your own. I ask because we have the Fantasmic Package booked and I have heard that includes a pre-plated dessert to share.

We did the Fantasmic Package last year and we were able to pick our own....hope it's the same this year

jlevis

Thanks Everyone for all of your responses! Im torn because I have heard so many different opinions, My DM doesnt like Hollywood and vine we have had them twice in the past and we defnintely want to do the fantasimic package. I guess we will just keep the ADR and hope for the best.. eventhough we will be arriving when its free dining

I long ago realized that when yhou ask for opinions about places to eat you will get opinions ranging from it is the best place on earth to the food will kill you. I like Mama Melrose as does my wife - that's all that matters.

Rose&Crowner

Came in to say that once in 2002 I believe I got food poisoning from the fried calamari. In hindsight I believe it could have been all of the blue drinks that I had at the sci-fi diner. We have always had fantastic service at Mama Melrose.

sgtmgd

no I believe we ordered our own..not pre plated

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Anytime anyone asks about places to eat Italian I will always ask:

1. Are you from the Northeast?
2. Are you Italian?
3. Do you think the Olive Garden is Italian food?

The answers to these questions will determine my suggestion. ;)

In all seriousness, I've never eaten at MM, but if @DisneyDebNJ won't go back then
I would stay away. :)

DisneyDebNJ

2. Are you Italian?

In all seriousness, I've never eaten at MM, but if @DisneyDebNJ won't go back then
My brotha from another motha .... I so agree..... however, our standards here on the East Coast are high when it comes to Italian food LOL even at this writing, I'm afraid to eat at Via Napoli (however, DS has vowed to try the *pizza window* at Via Napoli) For the record, Olive Garden is NOT Italian food LOL. (when a waitress says she suggests the pasta fa geeoli for the soup?!?!?!?) Its pasta y fagioli!!! LOLOL Good call Shookie, good call!!!!

richard francis

Hi - I booked MM for lunch at HS with the Fantasmic dining package. My DD is excited but my DM wants to change resturants. She doesnt think she will like it after seeing the menu and reading some of the reviews.

What are your thoughts on MM.. I am on the verge of cancelling my ADR today.. But dont know what other resturant in HS to choose.

PLEASE HELP!!

Sweet Melissa

2. Are you Italian?

Okay, I'm not Italian. I'm American. My great-grandparents were Italian, but they wanted to be American, so they came here. I lived in the Northeast for a good chunk of my adult life, but I never thought that their Italian food was anything special as compared with the rest of the USA. It seems like the Italian-American food that can be found in the Northeast all focuses on just a couple of Italy's regional cuisines, and not my favorites. My favorite Italian cuisine still comes out of my own kitchen, not any restaurant. I don't think any of that disqualifies me from saying that Mama Melrose's was terrible the one time that I deigned to grace it with my presence.

As for Olive Garden not being Italian food, of course it's not, but neither is the vast majority of good stuff we serve here.

ratherbeinwdw

You really don't need the Fantasmic package to see Fantasmic. The seats aren't really that good IMO.
We ate at MM in Dec. We waited forever to be seated-- with a reservation. The food was only okay. It wasn't bad, just not good.
We have no desire to go back again.

okw2006

Hi - I booked MM for lunch at HS with the Fantasmic dining package. My DD is excited but my DM wants to change resturants. She doesnt think she will like it after seeing the menu and reading some of the reviews.

What are your thoughts on MM.. I am on the verge of cancelling my ADR today.. But dont know what other resturant in HS to choose.

PLEASE HELP!!
I think you should try it. We have eaten there several times and it is always good. Let us know how you liked it!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Okay, I'm not Italian. I'm American. My great-grandparents were Italian, but they wanted to be American, so they came here. I lived in the Northeast for a good chunk of my adult life, but I never thought that their Italian food was anything special as compared with the rest of the USA. It seems like the Italian-American food that can be found in the Northeast all focuses on just a couple of Italy's regional cuisines, and not my favorites. My favorite Italian cuisine still comes out of my own kitchen, not any restaurant. I don't think any of that disqualifies me from saying that Mama Melrose's was terrible the one time that I deigned to grace it with my presence.

As for Olive Garden not being Italian food, of course it's not, but neither is the vast majority of good stuff we serve here.

Hmm..I hope I didn't come off as snobish....

You could live in farthest corner of Alaska , be of Asian descent and never have ever tasted Italian food and I would never begrudge you, deny you your opinion or Mama Melrose's or any other Italian restaurant. :)

However -sight unseen not knowing you're background? If you asked me what I thought of an Italian restaurant I would certainly want to know what your "gold standard" was, some reference point when it came to Italian food.

Also I mention the Northeast not because there are no Italians or no other great Italian restaurants rest of country, but I would venture to guess that the Northeast part of the country still has the largest concentration of Italians and some of the most well known authentic Italian restaurants the country has to offer.

Also although there are plenty of Spaghetti and Meatballs type places and others that concentrate on only Northern Italian cooking. I would also disagree that there still aren't authentic off the boat Italian meals being served and Southern Italian peasant food still represented.
For example:
This past Thursday I had a plate of arincini that rivals my "off the boat" mom's best dishes. That establishment is 3 miles from my house.

I would think before you answered my question about if I should spend my value vacation time eating at Mama Melrose's you'd probably want to know those pieces of information.

Just like I'd hope you would tell me you weren't Italian, never ate Italian food other than Mama Melrose's before you went on to tell me it was delicious and the best Italian food you ever ate.

Not snobish - just a point of reference ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Fantasmic package no longer includes a pre-plated dessert or a golf cart ride down.

How do I know? I just did it 3 weeks ago...

If I was supposed to get those benefits, I'm going to be really upset. I did it in 2010 and got both PLUS preferred seating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom