Mama Melrose...is it that bad?

Kristamouse

Original Poster
So we have ADR's for Mama Melrose in September. We are a party for 14, will not be park hopping. None of us really love DHS food and the other 1/2 of our party are WDW Newbies. The group picked the pasta option as all of us like pasta and we have a group of 8 kids...so how bad can pasta be? Will we regret this choice?

belledream

Mama Melrose brings out the same feeling to me that most Italian restaurants do...it's always good and filling, but it's nothing phenomenal that gathers all sorts of praise. However, the décor is very fascinating and I enjoy the atmosphere part about it. I think for your group, Mama will serve it's purpose just fine!

PrincessNelly_NJ

Um... I love Mama Melrose.
I had no desire to go there and my friends really didn't like any other menus so we tried Mama Melrose...
I think we downed 3 bread bowls, salads, we couldn't even finish our pasta (trust me, we tried! Didn't want to waste that goodness) and had dessert.... you would think we were a group of guys the way we downed that food LOL

I have tried Sci-fi, 50's PT, and Mama Melrose... even though HS table service restaurants get a bad rep, so far... sci-fi has just okay food but I've never had a "bad or disappointing" meal in HS.

SagamoreBeach

Like I always say... food is a very subjective thing. What one dislikes about a restaurant could be what 10 other people love about the very same place. Best to go and judge for yourself. One of my most favorite restaurants here in town gets terrible reviews but I have yet to see the terrible wait staff or get a terrible meal. Go figure.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We went to Mama Melrose for our first time during SW weekend and was a little worried after our dinner at H&V as part of the Fantasmic package - the food was the typical Disney buffet and meh. Glad I checked the reviews of the restaurant on Trip Advisor and I will never again make fun of people who post pictures of their meals. Every reviewer who ordered the chicken parm said it was the best of the meals offered and I agree. And the salad was also excellent. And so was the sangria. We now have a restaurant for DHS and will eat there whenever we go to that park.

I had a phenomenal experience when I went with my family. It was kind of light when we arrived, and then it became busier, but the wait staff were very attentive to us. Our server was from NY, so she was interacting with us a lot. We had an amazing time, the wait staff was great, food was great, ambiance was stereotypical Italian trying too hard. It was a fun time. As per any restaurant in HS, it's always an interesting experience.

Rodb

we were there May 22nd and thought is okay. there is a nice water jug that they had in the counter for guests to cool off while waiting for their RESERVATION. My kids didn't like the fact that there were a couple of flies flying around the waiting room and again in the dining room. The funny part is that even if you have the fantasmic dinner package, they herd you into certain sections until they are filled. There would be be multiple sections with no one in there, but you have to sit right up against other people for a half hour until the show started. I see there is a better advantage to show up when they open up a new section. Another thing about Mama Melrose; it is hard to find unless you have been there before. Check your map beforehand before going there

DC0703

I ate here when I visited in March. I wouldn't say that it was bad, but I was unimpressed with the chicken parmesan. The sauce wasn't to my taste (basil taste was too strong for me) and the chicken was a bit bland. My boyfriend liked it though. And as others have said, the atmosphere is nice inside. Cozy and festive. The gelato I had for dessert was actually delicious though. Despite being disappointed, I had a decent enough meal and would go back.

WDWYankee15

Mama Melrose brings out the same feeling to me that most Italian restaurants do...it's always good and filling, but it's nothing phenomenal that gathers all sorts of praise.

I agree with this. I'll take it a bit further and say what I also say about most Italian restaurants... "Be careful ordering things with red sauce." Sauce to me is one of those things that brings out strong opinions in people. Most people grow up eating the family recipe (or the same jar brand) Italian meal after Italian meal. Because of this, we tend to like that taste and since sauce can vary very much, it is not difficult to eat something with red sauce at a restaurant and not be happy.

So long story short, I would suggest getting a dish without red sauce. My family has gone there many times and I stick to that rule and have had some really great meals and family times there. Typical Italian meal

TheMouseFan

We ate there in November and really enjoyed ourselves. It was nothing spectacular, but it was good. We plan to eat there again in two weeks with our group of 11, 5 of which are children, so I may be able to give you a different perspective after we get back! Here is what we ate:
Bread

Caesar salad

Soup

Chicken Parmesan

Strip Steak with macaroni and cheese

The dessert trio that we got with the Fantasmic! package

HouCuseChickie

We had mixed feelings about Mama Melrose. DH and I each ordered steaks and were happy, but those getting pasta in our group thought it was just so/so. Still, our biggest complaints were the excessive wait to be seated and the slow service.

USAF79

Food critics weather they are professional or think they are a professional are overly critical when it comes to disney to the point of pathic. Everyone is different and has different feelings on what they like. Give it a shot. It's a great place in my opinion. It's a family meal not the dinner with the queen. Don't believe the hype or lack of because trolls .....

jpittore1

Make sure you do the Fantasmic package so don't have to wait in line for hours! For HS, it's one of the better options. If you want to leave the park and come back, you can take the boat to the boardwalk for other options. Cape May Seafood Buffet is a great option, just would need to invest a little time with the boat ride and walk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom