Mama Melrose...is it that bad?

mhaftman7

Definitely agree with getting Fantasmic Package. We always enjoy the meal at MM. When we went last year, the Fantasmic Package got us front and center for the show. People complained about getting wet, but we loved every minute. A nice, constant mist on a hot & humid evening was perfect!

While I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, it is a shame that there seems to be a large contingent that only hates the food and service due to its popularity. EVERY meal I have at WDW, is far better than at home. If you think that MM is a glorified OG, than I envy the quality of your local OG. I really have a hard time understanding why there are prolific posters here that complain about the quality of every thing at WDW, yet have dozens of trips in the rear view mirror and multiple trips planned.

I've been wrong in my life far more times than I've been right, but how can you have a magical experience if you do nothing but be pessimistic about your expectations?

DisneyJunkie

Actually, yes.....Mama Melrose is that bad. It's nearly as bad as the actual Italian restaurants in World Showcase. We did NOT enjoy even the most basic of Italian dishes when we ate there.

mickey2008.1

Its way better than Olive Garden, at least where we live. The Fantasmic package is a great deal, getting appetizers and great seating. We will be there in September as well. I would stay away from the steak, as it is a low quality cut and the shrimp is frozen pre cooked. The calamari is really good. Chicken parm is really good. And most of the pastas are good. The frutti di marre was very tasty, bust oily. It is the best place at DHS and worth going to.

mweier

Food was beyond decent, and good value and flavor. Service a touch slow.

We loved the F! Package, as our seats were dead center with little wait. Only complaint was that it rained, which I blame on Mama Melrose's lack of weather control.

harryk

So we have ADR's for Mama Melrose in September. We are a party for 14, will not be park hopping. None of us really love DHS food and the other 1/2 of our party are WDW Newbies. The group picked the pasta option as all of us like pasta and we have a group of 8 kids...so how bad can pasta be? Will we regret this choice?

NO

Bparso87

It is like any chain Italian restaurant. I would leave the park and go to a resort as I find every HS TS to be underwhelming

Goofnut1980

Please are too judgemental when it comes to the restaurants.. Unless you are paying $100 a person, don't set your expectations that high. It's Italian food, and ever time we have gone there, we have enjoyed our food. Never a complaint nor a bad meal. We go for the experience. The one place that is over-rated is Le Cellier. I used to love it there, and yes at $65 for a steak, you have expectations. It has seen better days, or simply we went on an off day the last few visits.

Bparso87

Please are too judgemental when it comes to the restaurants.. Unless you are paying $100 a person, don't set your expectations that high. It's Italian food, and ever time we have gone there, we have enjoyed our food. Never a complaint nor a bad meal. We go for the experience. The one place that is over-rated is Le Cellier. I used to love it there, and yes at $65 for a steak, you have expectations. It has seen better days, or simply we went on an off day the last few visits.
I think that you are right about people being to judgmental about restaurants I think u have to understand what it is and what you are getting MM is not horrible and could be an ok value for people not on the DP but if you are on the DP there are way better options. I think in general HS lacks TS and QS options.

Goofnut1980

I think that you are right about people being to judgmental about restaurants I think u have to understand what it is and what you are getting MM is not horrible and could be an ok value for people not on the DP but if you are on the DP there are way better options. I think in general HS lacks TS and QS options.

Agreed! HS needs some help in every category.

RiceCrispyMickey

We went a week ago and it was Brilliant! Had calamari to start which was soo tasty (and i'm not a massive fish food fan) and then had steak with mac and cheese which was by far the best steak I had this holiday (better than Le' Cellier IMO) Yumyumyum!! I'd go back tomorrow if only I were still in Florida (sob sob)

FutureCEO

Our last time we went to Mama Melrose, we waited an hour past our reservation time. Restaurants are not perfect all the time, your bound to have an off day when your feeding thousands of people. Having never been to Brown Derby, I would have to say Mama Melrose is the best sit down/non buffet restaurant at MGM, which is not saying much for I thought SciFi and 50's were blah. Hollywood and Vine is better but it's a buffet.

TinkerbellKate

We are a huge fan of Mama's and for years that wasn't the case. We went back a couple of years ago after not going for years and were very pleasantly surprised. The food is pretty delicious and the atmosphere is wonderful. Is it the best Italian I have ever eaten?? Probably not but it is a great option and we will be going back when we return in September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom