Making Memories: An October 2005 Honeymoon Trip Report

No, that is not a typo in the title. :D This report is how I would have written it when I returned from our honeymoon way back in 2005. Not sure why I didn’t type all this up at the time seeing how I enjoy writing and love sharing my Disney memories with others (whether they like it or not.) A fair bit of warning, I don’t have an overwhelming amount of pictures, especially on the first day, because we were so busy running around enjoying every moment we didn’t stop to digitally capture them. Not to mention I had to scan all of these pictures back onto my laptop. :hammer:

I hope you enjoy reading my honeymoon report. I definitely enjoyed writing it because it took me back to one of the happiest weeks of my life!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~

Once upon a time a girl met a guy…and they fell in love.

May 17th, 2004
ProposalPic.jpg

Then they got married!

October 8th, 2005
BrideandGroom1.jpg

This is the story of their magical honeymoon in the place that started it all…

OCTOBER 9th, 2005

The alarm went off way too early but it didn’t really matter, my brain was completely overwhelmed by the fact that I had just gotten married the day before! After a wonderful day celebrating with family and friends it was time to celebrate with each other as husband and wife.

Just after 5am I hit the shower and my new husband went upstairs to wake up my best friend, who was our ride to the airport. I tried to be on a tight timetable because leaving on time always gets more complicated when adding more people. Brandon’s best friend was accompanying us as well because he had a flight to California the same morning. Once everyone was packed and ready to go, we were off! Breakfast was in order and McDonald’s had the right menu. I was less than impressed because I’m not huge into breakfast, especially before I travel. With the greasy goodness of Mickey D’s in the car we pressed onward to IAD! The great thing about the drive was that we had minimal traffic and that's why it's fantastic leaving on a Sunday morning. My goal was to arrive at curbside around 7am then we would breeze though security and off to the gate. We pulled up right on time. After saying goodbye to our dear friends, my husband Brandon and I made our way into the main terminal, complete with bride and groom mouse ears. The great thing about IAD is that it has a very wide walkway that connects the main terminal to the gate, so we really got to show off those ears.

We settled in at the gate and Brandon went to grab coffee leaving me with the bags. As I sat there in “just married” bliss I couldn't have felt more relaxed before a flight.

Once on the plane we started to realize where we were headed. The truly amazing thing is that this was only Brandon’s second trip to WDW…ever! And he was almost as giddy as me. We were ready to go when the captain switched on the PA and announced that there was little a traffic backup and we had to wait to takeoff. Brandon looked out the window and saw the tail of a giant cross-country plane sitting right behind us. Guess we weren’t going anywhere at the moment. Eventually we were airborne and on our way!

A couple of hours later we landed at MCO! That familiar rush of warm air greeted us we stepped onto the jetbridge. Welcome to Orlando! After a quick pit stop it was off to baggage claim to where we would meet our towncar driver. The only problem was our flight had been delayed and he was nowhere to be found. I walked over to the Mears counter and pleasantly explained the situation to the unenthusiastic employee. She took my cell phone number, directed us where to wait and said he would call when we was on his way. Eventually the driver showed up with his large town car and off we went to the French Quarter!

It was after lunchtime by the time we checked in. Sadly the room wasn’t ready so we had to stow our bags. Before we left the lobby I fished a couple of things out so I could freshen up. Once I was ready we walked around the lobby area briefly then it was off to the boat dock. We had perfect timing when we got there because a boat was just unloading. As Brandon and I walked down the dock we got a round of applause from the passengers, courtesy of the bride and groom ears.

Day1headingtoDTD.jpg

The boat ride to DTD was so relaxing. I loved the reveal as you glide past the golf course and Old Key West then BAM! Downtown Disney.

DTDMarketpalce.jpg

Once we disembarked we went over to Rainforest to check the wait. The CM told us 45min which wasn’t too bad for us, if anything it was an excuse to browse Pin Traders. It turns out the wait was much shorter, more like 25min, and we were taken deep in the rainforest. Both of us were starving at this point having not eaten since 6am and we were so happy when the food arrived. I had the BBQ chicken pizza and he had the crab cakes. Now completely stuffed we meandered a little bit longer then caught the boat back to the French Quarter.

We got our room assignment, Building 1, right next to the river. After scoping things out we changed, packed the bag for the MK and it was off to the Contemporary so we could arrive in style aboard the monorail.

But first...gators!
PosingwithgatorsatPOFQ.jpg

BrandonwiththePOFQgators.jpg

We couldn’t have been happier to arrive at the MK. I never get tired of the excitement that builds as you walk down the ramp from the monorail station. Passing through the turnstiles and under the train station never fails to put a smile on my face. We took the promenade towards the hub to get our picture in the spot where Brandon proposed. The castle looked amazing with all the gold decorations. and was obviously a fitting backdrop.

Uswiththecastle.jpg

A few thank you’s for the congratulations we received (thanks bride and groom ears) and it was time for some adventure! The tribal drums were calling…

For me, crossing the bridge into Adventureland is my “through the looking glass” moment. Once I hear the gentle thud of feet and strollers on the wood and those wonderful drums, I know I’ve left the real world behind. Oh and experiencing that on my honeymoon when I’m already floating on a cloud? Just amazing.

Pirates was, is, and always will be the first ride we hit. Sadly though this first go was marred by very loud people speaking loudly in another language. We actually had to turn around and tell them to be quiet. Not cool for the first ride of the day. We did end up riding it again and that experience was much better. Up next was the Haunted Mansion, Brandon’s favorite ride. Now that the sun was setting we ventured into Fantasyland to check the wait times on Peter Pan and small world. Taking a trip to Neverland was sitting about 40min so we opted for the happiest cruise that ever sailed.

Smallworld.jpg

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
SmallworldAfrica.jpg

EndofSmallWorld.jpg

As the time for Wishes drew near we grabbed jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzels and a Coke from The Lunching Pad then went to find a spot. Across the bridge and down past the Tomorrowland Terrace we zeroed in on a lonely bench near a wall. It was nice being able to sit down and we had a great view of the castle. I also noticed we could hear the background music from the TTA overhead. With five minutes to go I was watching people walk past, hoping no one would stop right in front of us to watch the show. Luckily no one did, but the family that was across the way decided to put their kids on their shoulders which totally blocked our view. So we ended up standing on the bench for the show. Good thing is we are both almost 6’ tall so it worked out better that way.

I love Wishes. I mean I *really* love Wishes. The moment the music swells and the lights on the castle drop out is pure magic for me. When “star light, star bright” kicks in, I swear I tear up every single time. This time however I was much more emotional.

Enjoy some not-so-stellar fireworks shots!
Wishes.jpg

Wishes2.jpg

Wishes3.jpg

While we enjoyed our snacks and the fireworks it was so wonderful sharing that moment as husband and wife. We just stood there together, grinning and realizing how happy we were and that we were back in the place that helped develop our relationship. “I wish…we’d never have to grow-up! Off to Neverland! Ha ha!”

Endoffirstnightkiss.jpg

Once Wishes was over we trekked to Frontierland so we could visit our laughing place at Splash Mountain. This is one of my favorite rides in the park and I absolutely love it at nighttime. I practically skipped down the queue to the load station. Well, we came back from the Briar Patch and decided we should take a spin on the wildest ride in the wilderness. The wait was really short and we practically walked on. This is another attraction that just gets better as the sun goes down.

With Extra Magic Hours coming to a close, Brandon and I meandered our way back toward Main Street right as the caste lights began to change color. The music rose and it turns out we were watching the castle show I had listened to so many times on my iPod. We didn’t stay for the whole thing because we were very tired and we wearily continued up Main Street. Right as we walked under the train station I heard Mickey Mouse and pulled Brandon along to see what was going on. Sure enough it was Mickey’s Kiss Goodnight!

MickeysKissGoodnight.jpg

It was a fitting way to end our first day.

We grabbed a bus back to the French Quarter and were back in Building 1 for a well derived night’s sleep. Up next: Epcot, MK and DTD

HollyBelle

YAY!!! So excited to see you posting this. Can I just say, I LOVE that proposal shot; the look on your face is pure joy... you're radiating! Ooh, and a beautiful picture of the bride and groom - that veil is perfect for your dress... Love it!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Nice. Love the kilt!

Thanks! He actually wore it out when we to a New Year's event later that year and got a lot of compliments on it.

YAY!!! So excited to see you posting this. Can I just say, I LOVE that proposal shot; the look on your face is pure joy... you're radiating! Ooh, and a beautiful picture of the bride and groom - that veil is perfect for your dress... Love it!

Thank you, Holly. I'm touched that you've been looking forward to this. :eek: And yeah, I'm pretty sure you tell exactly what I was feeling based on that picture. :lol:

I'm hoping to get days 2 and 3 up tonight!

Fashionista007

WooHoo! Disney brides unite! I'm so pleased to see more wedding and honeymoon TRs on this site. I can't wait to read more :)

I agree with Holly, you are positively radiant!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
WooHoo! Disney brides unite! I'm so pleased to see more wedding and honeymoon TRs on this site. I can't wait to read more :)

I agree with Holly, you are positively radiant!

Thank you so much! I couldn't be happier to be a part of the Disney Wedding/Honeymoon club :D

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
OCTOBER 10th

Today was Epcot day!

We were up at a fairly decent hour and grabbed breakfast at Sassagoula Floatworks; beignets for me and Mickey waffles for Brandon. With refillable mugs in hand we headed outside to the bus stop and waited for the next Epcot bus to arrive. We managed to get to the park about an hour or so after opening which for us was a huge accomplishment! I don’t know if we’ll ever be able to make it to see a rope drop, it just seems so darn early and I know I take forever getting ready in the morning.

Day2SSE.jpg

The F&W Festival was celebrating it's 10th year.
FWfestivaltopiary.jpg

We decided that we’d head for World Showcase first then hit up some Future World attractions a little later. It was so great knowing we had seven days ahead of us so we didn’t have to rush around as much. Oh! As a small aside, one thing we noticed on this trip were all of the hilarious things we would overhear. Case in point, the previous day -- we had just arrived at the Magic Kingdom when we heard this...

Annoyed Guy: “Does it ever get cool here?”
Security CM: “Nope.”
Then almost as if he was a in a movie Annoyed Guy shook his head, drew out a cigarette from his pocket and placed it behind his ear then said, “Man, I hate this place [grumbled under breath] happiest place on earth.”

Brandon and I turned and looked at each other and couldn't help but laugh as we headed for the turnstiles.

Okay, back on topic!

BrandonwithSSE.jpg

"Ahh! Coffee!"

MewithSSE.jpg

I was WAY too happy to be there that morning.

We debated if we’d go on Mission:Space before starting our walk around the world. I said something to the effect of "Let’s check the wait time, and if it’s not crazy then we’ll go." Well…we ended up riding and I got really nervous as we were in the queue, which is ridiculous because I rode this last year with no problems. By the time we made it to the second part of the preshow I seriously almost backed out. Even though I was really regretting those beignets I had earlier, I boarded the capsule and was strapped in. Oh, there were no protein spills on our voyage to Mars but I felt really icky for a few hours.

Leaving Future World we started on the Mexico side of the lagoon.

HeadingtoWorldShowcase.jpg

I told Brandon all about El Rio del Tiempo. He wasn’t lucky enough to experience the original version and sadly we didn’t get a chance to ride it on this trip.

Next as always was the beloved Maelstrom in Norway.

Norway.jpg

The wait was very short since it was still early in the day. I always like the blast of A/C you get once you are in the queue and I can’t help but smile when I see the Viking boats in the load area. After riding, the rest of the day was peppered with “Ewe are not dee first to pass diss vay…” and "Back! Back! Over the falls!"

MeinNorway.jpg

Onward!

GreeneryinChina.jpg

We browsed through Yong Feng Shangdian in China while thinking about something to eat for lunch. We had considered seeing the film in the pavilion but sadly this was another attraction we never made it back to. We left China and decided that lunch would be in Japan at the Yakitori House.

This was my third time to the Yakitori House and I always love the setting of the place. It’s tucked away in the corner of the Japan pavilion is one of my favorite spots to relax. Bellies full we continued around the lagoon, stopping at our favorite shops, taking some pictures, and figuring out what our next plan of action would be.

One thing I really liked were the banners around Epcot for the Happiest Celebration on Earth. Each park was represented as was the new attraction for the event.

MKHCOEsign.jpg
EpcotHCOEsign.jpg

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
StudiosHCOEsign.jpg
AKHCOEsign.jpg

I am one of those people who refers to any duck I see at the parks as a Disney Duck. Here's one I spotted somewhere around World Showcase.
Disneyduck.jpg

Morocco
Morocco.jpg

Bienvenue a France! Who are you to resist?
France.jpg

Here's some random tomfoolery in the UK.
Mewithphonebooth.jpg

Brandonwithphonebooth.jpg

Canada, you're a lifetime journey for the traveler...
Canada.jpg

We reached the plaza in Future World and saw the character bus had stopped. Since we were still very new to meet and greets I figured this would be an awesome spot for pictures. Also we hadn’t gotten a photo with Mickey yet!

UswithMickey.jpg

Next up was Goofy!
Goofy.jpg

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
UswithGoofy.jpg

We didn't end up getting a picture with them, but we took this while waiting in Goofy's line.
ChipandDale.jpg

It was time to bid Epcot adieu and board the monorail for the TTC. I liked listening to the updated spiel about the Happiest Celebration On Earth newness, I was totally not paying attention to it the day before when we were riding to the Magic Kingdom. (LOL)

Almost there!

Hmm, which one? Which one?
FerryboatsignatTTC.jpg
MKmonorailsign.jpg

Once we arrived at the TTC we opted for the ferryboat to take us to the Magic Kingdom.

Castlefromferryboatlanding.jpg

Polyfromferryboat.jpg

While we cruised across Seven Seas Lagoon I saw a wedding set up over at the Poly (or maybe it was the Wedding Pavilion). It was so cool to see knowing we had just gone through that a mere two days ago.

GFandmonorailfromferryboat.jpg

GFfromferryboat.jpg

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sorry to make this a cliffhanger however as I post this, it's just about 2am...and I need to shuffle off to bed. But wait!...Will Erin and Brandon make it to the Magic Kingdom? What fun will be had? Who will they meet next?

Stay tuned to my next installment!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Hmm...now where was I? Oh yes! The Magic Kingdom...

We headed down the ramp from the ferryboat landing and made our way to the bag check. Main Street welcomed us back in classic style and as we took in the wonderful sights and smells we found ourselves in familiar circles with Adventureland as our first stop.

MainStreet.jpg

We found ourselves in familiar circles with Adventureland as our first stop. I noticed the wait for the Jungle Cruise wasn’t terrible so we hopped in the queue. The nice thing was since we had a little bit of a wait we were able to check out all the cool details in the queue. Unfortunately for us we were downwind from some rather sweaty guys who had no shame in drawing attention to themselves. Luckily I was distracted by listening to the loop that played in the queue, also we didn’t have to share the boat with them. As we boarded I realized I hadn’t been on the Jungle Cruise since I was very little and I really enjoyed it. It was also nice having Brandon experience it for the first time.

JungleCruise.jpg

JungleCruisehippo.jpg

We backtracked toward the hub and checked out Tomorrowland.

Mewiththecastle.jpg

Tomorrowland.jpg

AstroOrbitor.jpg

After grabbing a bite to eat we swung into Toontown and I think we took a spin on the Barnstormer. We didn’t walk through Mickey and Minnie’s houses but I snapped some pictures.

MickeysHouse.jpg

MinniesHouse.jpg

Taking the back path near Space Mountain we ended up in Fantasyland. I soon spotted Mary Poppins! I was a little timid at first seeing how I hadn't taken a picture with a face character yet. So yeah, I felt a little awkward standing in a line with a group of little girls but I think the picture was worth it.

MeandMaryPoppins.jpg

And yes, my husband couldn’t help but laugh just a little as I enjoyed my moment.

HollyBelle

Your trip report is so much fun, Erin! It's taking me back... I LOVED the uniqueness of the Happiest Celebration on Earth banners. And I had totally forgotten about the castle decorations until I looked at one of your pictures. We still have the original El Rio music on our ipods... love it! And the character bus. Oh how I miss the character bus! That shot of you two with Goofy is so cute, by the way. Looking forward to more.

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay. For some reason it is taking me way to long to re-size and scan these pictures.

Moving right along!

We were still at the Magic Kingdom and I had just met Mary Poppins. As we continued through Fantasyland I wanted to stop at the Golden Carousel. It is a tradition for me to get my picture taken while I ride and we didn't get one the first night.

MeonCarousel.jpg

Afterward we took come pictures around the castle
BackofCastle.jpg

Cinderellafountain.jpg

Cinderellamosaic.jpg

We took the path next to the castle to head over toward Liberty Square and check on our favorite mansion. Sadly the line was a little bit long for us so we figured out where we'd head next.

HauntedMansionfromLibertySquare.jpg

I suggested heading back to Tomorrowland for a spin on the TTA. Cruising along the highway in the sky we noticed something strange as we approached Space Mountain. The lights were on! It's so funny that this is something I had wanted to see. Brandon actually got a pretty decent shot as we rounded the bend.

SpaceMtnwithlightson.jpg

Soon nighttime was upon us and the neon glow of Tomorrowland told us that it was time to call it a night at the Magic Kingdom. I knew that Wishes was starting soon so my goal was to be toward the end of Main Street as the music was starting up, that way we'd beat the crowds. Sure enough, thanks to our bobbing and weaving through the shops, we got to the entrance plaza as the music was playing. We ended up taking the bus back to the French Quarter so we could drop a couple things off, then we took the boat to Downtown Disney.

Once we got to the Marketplace we strolled through World of Disney, as is customary, and reminisced about walking past Once Upon a Toy to head back to the Holiday Inn from our trip last year. As we continued on I had to stop at Ghirardelli’s and get a hot fudge brownie sundae, it’s my version of a nightcap. With my chocolatey goodness in hand Brandon and I found a table near the water and just sat and people watched for a little while. Then the time came for us to hop aboard the boat back to the cozy French Quarter. I will say that the walk to the building seemed much longer than it did the day before and our feet were *killing* us. Luckily we could walk through the grass instead of pounding the pavement. Upon returning to Building 1 we went straight to bed, another wonderful day was ahead of us!

Stay tuned for Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios, and MNSSHP!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Loving this "throwback" trip report! I was down in the World in Feb 2006 and remember all of those decorations... Brings back good memories. :)
Can't wait for more!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
OCTOBER 11th

Gooooood Mooooorning Animal Kingdom!

TreeofLife.jpg

I can’t remember where we headed first, it might have been Tough to Be A Bug since it was near the front but we might have beelined for the safari since it was still early enough in the day. I know we didn’t take pictures on this safari because the animals weren’t as active.

Afterwards we decided we’d check the wait for Kali River. It had been five years since I tried to ride this thing and I had my fingers crossed that it wouldn’t breakdown or that the line wasn't too long. Happily we fed through the queue (which is so detailed) with no problems and soon we were on our way along the choppy Kali River. Now I saw the sopping wet masses heading the opposite direction while we were in the queue and I had a feeling that I would end up the same way. As it turns out I almost got completely soaked…it was mainly my right side that took the wall of water but the great thing was it felt fantastic on a humid day.

Walking through Asia offered some awesome views of the new mountain being built. I gotta say this thing looks massive! Too bad it won’t be fully armed and operational until next year.

AnimalKingdom.jpg

Everest.jpg

We trekked on over to Dinoland and I managed to ride Dinosaur with my closed. (Ha Ha!) I have yet to make it all the way through with them open, isn’t that ridiculous? Maybe next time! Now that lunchtime was upon us I suggested we eat elsewhere since it was starting to get a little more crowded.

TreeOfLife2.jpg

Okay...is it just me or does it seem like a long walk to the Animal Kingdom bus depot? Something about leaving the turnstiles and entrance way, then seeing that wide span of concrete makes the buses seem that much farther away for some strange reason. My feet are always killing me by the time we get to our depot. But I digress…

While we were waiting for the bus I watched a family getting ready to board a bus to Epcot. The mom was asking the kids who wanted to go with dad and who wanted to stay with her and go back to the hotel. The two kids reminded me so much of me and my brother. He was trying to convince her that it would be more fun to swim in the pool at the resort than see the characters. Gotta love that reverse psychology! As the dad and one of the kids got on board he turned around on the step and bellowed to his wife, “Sci-Fi Theater! 6:45!” She responded with a simple “okay” but he moved to the back set of doors and yelled again “Sci-Fi Theater! 6:45!” It was too funny. Needless to say we stole that line and used it for the rest of the trip.

Soon the bus for Disney Studios pulled up and we were off!

Hooray for Hollywood!
DisneyStudios.jpg

This was going to be a short trip to the place where showbiz comes alive because we had a Halloween party to get to. Upon our arrival it was straight to Star Tours! Both Brandon and I are huge Star Wars fans so getting to ride this together and make all of our geeky comments makes the attraction even better. After our return from the rerouted trip to Endor we played in Tatooine Traders for a little bit keeping an eye out for any interesting pins. Fun fact: the first pin we bought on our first trip together was a Boba Fett pin. And now you know! (And knowing is half the battle!) Leaving empty-handed we went to visit one of my all time favorites, MuppetVision3D.

I love every single thing about this attraction; the courtyard, the queue, and most of all the pre-show. It never fails to make me laugh and I never get tired of Sam Eagle’s safety spiel. Note to self: take more pictures of this attraction!

Time was growing short so we packed it in and left the Studios.

Back home at the French Quarter I changed and we grabbed our tickets for MNSSHP. It was very cute seeing people at our bus stop dressed up for the party. The kids costumes are always fun but I really like seeing the ideas that adults come up with. Sadly we did not dress up but I have told myself that the next time we go, we'll put something together. We had originally thought about Victor and the bride from "Corpse Bride" (fitting, right?)

The Magic Kingdom looked so cool with it's Halloween Decorations. The giant Mickey pumpkins were awesome! Too bad a bunch of my pictures didn't turn out...apparently I have issues with nighttime photography.

Wanting to continue with the Halloween spirit we we straight to the Haunted Mansion. Ooh...the air certainly became deathly still as we approached the doors in the queue. All of the maids and butlers were totally in character, even in the loading area. They would just stare at you from the moving platform as you went by, creepily telling you to watch your step. It was so great! Oh! I forgot about the wonderful CM dressed like one of the happy haunts, sitting outside the mansion talking to guests as they walked by. She spoke with a southern drawl and I remember her telling a group of girls that strollers work real well to cart their men around. She was fantastic!

The Boo To You parade was coming up and we decided that we'd watch from Frontierland, so we could make a mad dash to Splash and Big Thunder when it was over. As we were walking out of Liberty Square I heard a bell toll and then Ride of the Valkyrie started playing. Brandon and I didn't know what was going on then we saw a big black horse trotting down way and it's rider was none other than the Headless Horseman! I wish I had gotten a picture!

We found a spot in Frontierland right in front of the bridge that crosses to Big Thunder Mountain. Suddenly the music from the Haunted Mansion began to play and the parade began.

BooToYou.jpg

BooToYou2.jpg

BooToYou3.jpg

BooToYou4.jpg

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
BooToYou5.jpg

BooToYou6.jpg

BooToYou7.jpg

I just love Pluto in his chef's hat!
BooToYou8.jpg

I'm glad we went to this early on in the trip because we had "Boo To You" stuck i our heads pretty much for the rest of the trip. And this parade has risen to share the top spot with Spectromagic. Oh yes...I enjoyed the parade that much.

After the parade passed us by we were off to Splash and Big Thunder! They were practically walk-ons thanks to the timing of the parade. Once we had our fill of the mountains we meandered over to one of the bridges in Frontierland to relax and watch HalloWishes. The unfortunate thing was a lot of the show was blocked by trees, but what we could see was really cool. The music choices were great as well, but I"m a sucker for anything Haunted Mansion related.

After the scream-a-long and scare-oke (these are the jokes people) we slowly made our way back to Main Street to head for the buses. For my final note on this night I will leave you with a hilarious exchange between a dad and his son on the very quiet bus ride back to the French Quarter.

Son: [singing] "Ice. Cube. Tray! Ice cube tray!"
Dad: [very nicely, because he knows what everyone else on the bus is thinking] "Son, no one really wants to hear about the ice cube tray."

Next up: Blizzard Beach, a little diversion at DTD, and California Grill

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
OCTOBER 12th

Today was going to be our first water park day! On our engagement trip we were able to visit Typhoon Lagoon but I really wanted to visit Blizzard Beach again. The first time I went was way back in 2000 and we got rained out.

After grabbing a quick breakfast we left the French Quarter bound for the one and only ski resort on the meltdown.

The weather was gorgeous that day and it was so nice the just relax in the sun, well and take in some great water slides. I know that Teamboat Springs was one of the ones I wanted to do first. As we trekked up the mountain I kept getting stuck at all of the spots where they had the sprays of water. Some of them felt better than others (i.e. mist vs full on spray) I know these are great in the heat of the summer but it wasn't too hot on this beautiful October day so getting a blast of water while waiting in the breezy queue gave me a bit of a chill.

Teamboat Springs was a blast! We had some cute little girls with their parents in our raft and it was so much fun laughing around all the bends and whenever the raft spun around as we dipped down a hill. Once we reached the bottom, Brandon decided that he's tackle Summit Plummet. I cheerfully declined and said I'd wait for him at the bottom. So off he went, back up the mountain leaving me to sit anxiously waiting. I had no idea how far back in the queue he was so I just watched rider after rider come flying down the massive slide. The lifeguard at the end would announce "Please exit the slide to your left" on his megaphone, resulting in dazed riders struggling to get up and stagger off to the side to collect themselves. Finally I saw Brandon and he had survived! He told me that the CM at the top was telling a story about some idiot from a few years ago who went down head first.

To relax a little from the Summit Plummet excitement we opted for a half-trip around the lazy river. Sadly we didn't get to go through the ice cave I had told Brandon about. Afterwards it was time to check out some more of the tube slides. Then we ventured back to where we left our stuff and dried off in the sun. Feeling hungry we grabbed some soft pretzels and a Coke and decided what was next on the agenda.

We had a reservation at California Grill for later tonight so we had to be back at the resort by at least 6:30 to change and get ready then head to the Contemporary. We left Blizzard Beach just after lunchtime and made it back to the French Quarter. After showering off the chlorine and getting changed we took a diversion and went to see a movie ("Serenity") at the AMC theater. I was a little against the idea at the get-go but it turns out it was a great time-killer before dinner. After the movie, which was quite good, we took the boat back to the resort and got ready for a meal I was very excited about.

Figured I get at least one shot of the pool
POFQpool.jpg

Heading to the Marketplace
POFQ.jpg

As part of our Dream Maker Package with the Romance Plan we got to have a complimentary dinner at a signature restaurant. I knew that I wanted the California Grill so we could have an amazing dinner and catch Wishes while we were there. I booked an 8pm reservation for that very reason.

We found ourselves back at the Marketplace to catch a bus to the Contemporary. Luckily we didn't have to wait too long, I kept checking my watch because I didn't want to be late. We pulled in and went straight for the escalator downstairs. I then walked past the check-in stand because I was in such a rush and was confused where it was this was mostly due to the fact that the counter was so non-descript looking. Finally we were checked in!

We found the elevator and made our way up. Well, me being in a rush and not thinking got off two floors too soon because that's where we stopped. :hammer: We stepped off and I looked around and felt like such an idiot, so we got back on another elevator heading up. As we boarded another couple go on with us. The very matter of fact proceeded to ask, "Does this elevator go to the 15th floor?" Brandon and I looked at each other (you know the look) as we told them "yes."

More to come! Stay tuned! :sohappy:

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Once we got to the Grill I decided to order a drink since I didn't know how long our wait would be. With my martini in hand Brandon and I found a seat and got comfortable. Eventually our name was called and we were led to a table. I was a little disappointed that we weren't near a window like I had requested but we still had a decent view of the park.

The awesome thing with this feature on our package was that we each were allowed an appetizer, entree, and dessert. We both had flatbreads (the triple cheese was amazing!) and I had the Seared Chicken, while Brandon had a salmon dish.

CaliforniaGrill.jpg

About 10min before Wishes started they let guests know they could step outside on the observation deck to watch the show. I was very glad because the super-obnoxious family at the table across from us left. We opted to stay inside which was nice because it left a clear view of the window after everyone else cleared out. Wishes was fantastic as usual and it was nice being able to sit down and not have to deal with the crowds. For dessert I went with a truly heavenly Valrhona chocolate cake and he chose the cheesecake and a cup of coffee.

Feeling completely stuffed on fantastic food we dragged ourselves out of California Grill and down the hall to the elevator. We headed downstairs and waited for a bus to Downtown Disney. Sadly this was taking FOREVER. We saw a bus for every other destination except the one we needed. I was trying to think of an alternative...and fast. We ended up heading back into the Contemporary and waited for the monorail. As we fed through the queue I saw a group sitting on the very end and then it dawned on me that they were waiting to ride up front. That's when I figured this was probably the only chance we'd have to do this, so we headed straight for the bench when we were able. We actually had to let two trains go by before we could board due to the crazy amount of people. Even though it was a short trip I was glad we were able to ride in the front, it's one of those little experiences I've always wanted to do.

For some reason we were able to catch a bus at the Polynesian in less time than at the Contemporary. We were finally on our way back to Downtown Disney.

Once we got to the Marketplace we did our customary walkthrough of World of Disney and a couple other shops before they closed for the night. Then it was time to take the relaxing boat ride back to the French Quarter. We had a full day and it was time for a good night's sleep.

In the next installment...Typhoon Lagoon, maybe a theme park, and La Nouba!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
OCTOBER 13th

This day's report is very short...

The second water park was on the agenda this morning. We visited Typhoon Lagoon on our first trip together and looked forward to the lazy river. :D We also rode the Storm Slides and played in the wave pool for a little bit. I think the crowds were starting to pick up so we decided to bid the Lagoon farewell. It seems the sun was a little strong for us that day because when we got back to the French Quarter the two of us took a long nap. And I gotta tell you, this was probably the best nap I've ever had!

Feeling fresh as daisies we cleaned up and decided to revisit some of our favorites at one of the theme parks (I really can't remember which one! :lol:) Soon we grabbed a bite to eat and then it was time to change and head over to the West Side for La Nouba!

When we got to the theater I knew we had pretty good seats, but I didn't realize how good they actually were. We scored Category 1 tickets, thanks to the package add-on, and ended up in section 205 with an amazing view of the stage. If you haven't seen the show you really should try to see it. All of the acts were fantastic and I think my favorite was the one with the red silk. I won't give too much away but I highly recommend it! I will say that I did end up buying the soundtrack and DVD after we got back...yup...I liked it that much!

So that was pretty much all we ended up doing that day and I'm almost positive that we ended up at the Marketplace yet again after La Nouba. It quickly became our hangout spot after hours.

OCTOBER 14th

Today we decided to sleep in and grabbed a late breakfast at the French Quarter. Epcot would be our first stop of the day so off we went to the bus stop. Once we were in Future World we headed straight for The Land to snag Fastpasses for Soarin, seeing how we hadn't ridden it yet. The return time was around 3pm so we had, oh -- about three hours to kill. Since we got a much later start we only had about an hour or so before lunchtime. And whenever we're in Epcot lunch = World Showcase! We started on the Canada side of the lagoon and worked our way around.

After lunch we decided to wait on the attractions and take the Friendship boat over to explore the Epcot resorts. As we walked to the Beach Club I remembered that Beaches and Cream was nestled somewhere between that resort and the Yacht Club. I gotta say that I really want to stay here one day. For one, the location wins me over right off the bat. Walking distance to Epcot? Sign me up for that! So I had to ask in the lobby where Beaches and Cream was, which is not something I typically do. I tend to try and find locations on my own but we were having a hard time finding the place. Luckily we weren't too far off and just needed to be pointed in the right direction (we still almost walked past it!) Once we sat down Brandon was happy to discover they had onion rings and I couldn't wait to try the Oreo Mudslide. Boy was I in for a surprise when my sundae came out to the table. That thing was huge!

MeatBeachesandCream.jpg

Oh but it was totally worth it! Now that I was packed to the gills with delicious ice cream I knew I wanted to try and walk some of it off before we rode anything. So Brandon and I took a nice stroll around Crescent Lake.

CrescentLakefromBeachClub.jpg

We meandered in an out of the lobbies of the Yacht Club and the Boardwalk as well as browsing through the shops along the way. I looked at my watch and realized we should start heading back to Epcot. Even though we still had a little bit of time before our Fastpass, I at least wanted to be back in the park.

After walking through the International Gateway we headed back to Future World. I was trying to think of another time-killer for us and Universe of Energy was the first thing that came to mind. Sure enough it worked out perfectly and we had just enough time to book it over to The Land and head downstairs to join the masses at the Soarin queue.

I was really looking forward to this thanks to having the Top 7 Must-Sees on repeatedly in the resort. We weaved through the queue, which had great music, and approached the CM who asks "how many?" I saw an odd-numbered group standing alongside the wall and then the CM called for a party of two. We quickly stepped up and were moving along into the loading area. Now here's something we saw right after the pre-show...a lady with a huge soda and a pizza box, standing right there waiting to board. o_0? I kid you not. This woman actually made it through the queue with a medium box of pizza and a really big drink cup. The CM at the door to let guests in looked as perplexed as the rest of us who saw her and she just went in to board like there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. It was probably one of the stranger things I had ever seen in a queue. Anyway...the ride was simply amazing! I actually had a little bit of vertigo when you fly over and down the mountains and I had to look away slightly during the scene over L.A., it was moving too fast for me to keep up with. All in all I would really like to see it again.

Once we were back in The Land we couldn't pass up Living With The Land since it was right next door with virtually no wait. Afterwards we moseyed over to the defunct Wonders of Life pavilion and I told Brandon about it's heyday.

WondersofLife.jpg

The time came for us to leave Epcot and we figured we'd head on over to see what was going on at the Studios.

The Dolphin from the Friendship boat.
Swan.jpg

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Little known fact about me -- I always buy a plush toy when I visit WDW. Whether it's large or small, I always go home with a new friend to add to my WDW collection. :) I kept telling Brandon that I was on pursuit for a Sorcerer Mickey and hadn't found one on the previous days we were out at the parks not to mention I couldn't find one I liked at World of Disney. We walked in to the Studios and while I paused for a pit stop Brandon explored Mickey's of Hollywood. Once I met up with him I saw that he was carrying a bag. He just smiled and handed it to me and sure enough, he bought me my Sorcerer Mickey! *sigh* I love this man!

First up was Sunset Blvd and Tower of Terror. I was totally against riding this but I went through the queue with Brandon. Ugh...definitely was creeped out by the queue. The boiler room is what did me in and I knew for sure I wouldn't be back. As we approached the load zone when the CM asked "how many" I triumphantly said "one" and pointed to Brandon then asked where the chicken exit was. :lol: Yeah, to make things interesting they put you in an elevator.

I waited in the gift shop and liked watching the people come off the ride laughing and saying how great it was. I just can't bring myself to do it because I hate that free-fall feeling. Blarg. :hurl: Once my husband emerged I asked what he thought of it. He told me it was really cool but I would have absolutely hated it. He got to experience about six or seven different drops and even he was hanging on for dear life. But he was glad he rode it.

We headed back down Sunset blvd and walked over to the opposite end of the park for two of our favorites: Star Tours and MuppetVision. With those two under our belt we were starting to wear down and decided we'd head back home to the French Quarter.

That night we went to Pleasure Island and only ended up visiting two of the clubs. Sadly the amount of drunk, obnoxious businessmen was kind of irritating and we didn't stay too long.

PleasureIslandsign.jpg

DTDatnight.jpg

The walk to the bus stop seemed like it took forever, at least for me because I was exhausted. Soon we were back at the resort and it was time for some well-deserved rest!

Coming up next: Disney Studios, the Magic Kingdom, and IllumiNations!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom