Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

coachwnh

Yes, we had some really fun times inside the gates of Hollywood studios. After our last trip however, what was once one of our favorite parks had really dropped down the list to the bottom. That all changed this time as we continued to discover on our first day in the new Hollywood Studios.
Love the flash back pictures!

And I cannot agree with your more about the HS improvements!

fractal

Original Poster
OK, time to make some more new memories at Hollywood Studios.

On the way out of Toy Story Land we spotted @coachwnh and his family in line for Slinky Dog. The line was moving fast so we didn't have much time for conversation but it was great seeing them. It wouldn't be the last time!

Val wanted to ride Rock and Rollercoaster and no one was arguing so off we went.

Great walk through and movie but didn't watch it this time...

20200721-DSC08615-X3.jpg

Continuing on...

20200721-DSC08616-X3.jpg

Tempting but no...

20200721-DSC08617-X3.jpg

Our dinner reservations on Friday...

20200721-DSC08618-X3.jpg

getting closer.

20200721-DSC08620-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08621-X3.jpg

The Tick-Tok influence on poses...

20200721-DSC08622-X3.jpg

Everything's got to be a show!

20200721-DSC08623-X3.jpg

Can we just pose like normal people?

Apparently not.

20200721-DSC08624-X3.jpg

slipperalwaysfits

Great walk through and movie but didn't watch it this time.

Absolutely one of my top things to do/experience/appreciate in HS! I love it every time!

Tempting but no...
This line is one of my favorites from Notting Hill...when the shoplifter asks for her autograph....you probably weren't thinking of it, but it made me smile...

Love the kids' fun poses! Much easier to do without a huge crowd!

fractal

Original Poster
It was a hot day, but the sky was clearing up beautifully.

20200721-DSC08625-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08626-X3.jpg

Our destination.

20200721-DSC08630-X3.jpg

The 55mm 1.8 is great for capturing details.

20200721-DSC08632-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08634-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08635-X3.jpg

I quickly swapped out the 55mm for the fisheye, but not to get the launch again.

This time it was to get the "landing".

20200721-DSC08637-X3.jpg

After our thrilling ride we had another thrill.

Look who we bumped into on Sunset Boulevard!

IMG_20200721_154836~2-X3.jpg

@Tuvalu and @TrolleyFollower91 /Em were heading the opposite direction and our meeting caused a 15min blockage of the sidewalk. I completely threw out Covid protocol and gave them both a big hug! We compared notes; complaining about the masks and the lack of fireworks and night hours but praising the short waits. @Tuvalu couldn't believe we didn't get into our room until almost 6pm and that got Val going. Sterg and Toni were excited to reconnect and remembered our meeting in 2017 and brought up our almost meeting in 2011 when we where tables away at Hoop-de-doo-review. See my last trip report for details. Of course I had to take a group picture.

20200721-DSC08639-X3.jpg

After some more chit-chat we departed ways. As I've been thinking about this meeting with @Tuvalu , the best reason I can tell people to visit the parks right now is that it gives you a chance to experience the World with full-time
Shirley status!

Always a pleasure ladies!

Last edited:

cgersic

SPOILER ALERT (CONTINUED)

When we last left our heroes they were confronted by the evil Lord Kylo Ren. Kylo tried to extract the information we were carrying by using the dark side of the force.

20200721-DSC08496-X3.jpg

Fortunately for us, a direct blast spoiled his plans.

20200721-DSC08497-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08498-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08499-X3.jpg

and allowing us one more escape...

20200721-DSC08500-X3.jpg

we made our way into an escape pod.

20200721-DSC08501-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08502-X3.jpg

while the battle outside was still on.

20200721-DSC08503-X3.jpg

We left the Star Destroyer to safer ground.

20200721-DSC08504-X3.jpg

Back to the Resistance base. Beck was happy to see we survived!

20200721-DSC08506-X3.jpg

Wow! what a rush!

20200721-DSC08507-X3.jpg

Rise of the Resistance is more an experience than a ride. I told Sterg it was one step closer to WestWorld. It's a role play experience that takes you on a extraordinary trip. A leap forward in Theme Park entertainment that make you wonder where we'll be 10 years from now. Bravo to Disney and their Imagineers!
And Bravo to your descriptions and photos!!! When I realized I was in an escape pod, I'm not kidding, my jaw hit the floor and stayed there until I was done. Loved every bit of this experience too!

Last edited:

cgersic

Some through-back pics of us in Hollywood Studios over the years starting in 2007. He had some great memories in this park.

Toni fell asleep on my shoulders dressed in her Ariel Bippity-Bobbity outfit after a long day in the parks. We were in the Great Movie Ride Queue for our last ride of the night.

DSCN1020-X2.jpg

Same trip. Remember this?

DSCN1049-X2.jpg

At the Sci-Fi drive in.

DSCN1052-X2.jpg

Sterg and I had matching shirts and sunglasses. I told him I was planning a trip before I told anyone else. We called it operation OF (Orlando Florida).

disney2009%20039-X2.jpg

Backlot tour with a box of popcorn

disney2009%20019-X2.jpg

2011 - year of my first trip report.

Sterg finally taller than Alex.

1041-X2.jpg

Toni loved Officer William Club.

DSC02634-X2.jpg

and I loved the singing in the rain umbrella!

DSC02566-X3.jpg

50's Prime Time with "Tim" the best server we had there.

DSC01884-X2.jpg

Tim doing the airplane and playing the kazoo to make Sterg finish his plate.

DSC01886-X2.jpg

Toni making faces.

_DSC6479-X2.jpg

One of our many early morning jaunts while the teenagers and Val slept away.

_DSC5036-X3.jpg

With Yia-Yia!

49774440102-X2.jpg

The OG squad

49774440028-X2.jpg

2015 - No Sterg or Val

Reunion with Officer Club

DSC07475-X2.jpg

It was about 100 degrees that day. Had to eat the ice-cream quick!

DSC07467-XL.jpg

2017 - No Alex

with cousin Courtney. She's now on her way to Drexel U.

_DSC1310-X3.jpg

The "boys".

_DSC1416-X2.jpg

Yes, we had some really fun times inside the gates of Hollywood studios. After our last trip however, what was once one of our favorite parks had really dropped down the list to the bottom. That all changed this time as we continued to discover on our first day in the new Hollywood Studios.
That was just a fabulous trip down memory lane! What a great album :happy:

fractal

Original Poster
After grabbing lunch (and maybe a drink or two) on Sunset Blvd we needed to check Val in to the nearby Hotel.

Color...

20200721-DSC08641-X3.jpg

or Black & White?

20200721-DSC08642-X3.jpg

The 24mm was starting to get a little jealous of the fisheye so I gave it the next shift. The 24mm is a great lens and so versatile. Super sharp, great color, very "fast", and relatively light weight. A fabulous "carry around" lens. The fisheye will always
have the crazy "wow" and "fun" factor and it's sharp but the color is not the greatest - I have to really make a lot of adjustments when editing to get things where I like. The RAW files from the 24mm are much easier to handle as the come out nearly perfect to begin with.

20200721-DSC08643-X3.jpg

It's also great for "environmental portraits" like this. Face in the center and enough space around to have a sense of where you are - perfect for WDW. The fast aperture also let's me blur the background beautifully.

20200721-DSC08644-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni continued to get along great. I never really had to scold them much during this trip. That's what's supposed to happen as they get older right?

20200721-DSC08645-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08648-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08649-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08652-X3.jpg

Sterg has been doing a little boxing training on the bags. So out of the blue he'll come up to me with his fancy boxing moves to try and show how tough he is. He'll throw air punches and make his little "chee" sounds with each punch like he's sparing Sugar Ray Leonard or something only it's my head as the target.

"C'mon Dad, let's go...chee, chee, chee..." As we are waiting for our turn on the elevator. "chee, chee, chee." I can feel the wind on my face from his punches so I finally do the 'ol fake to the head with my right which brings up both his hands to block and shot to ribs with my left. "Oowwww!" he yelps and I start to grin. As he starts to come back at me we get called to stand in front of the elevator. Perfect timing. The old man still has a few tricks.

20200721-DSC08653-X3.jpg

The phantoms return.

20200721-DSC08655-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08657-X3.jpg

Now I'm starting to get good at this.

20200721-DSC08664-X3.jpg

Another gut churning but great ride in our favorite elevator!

"Let's go do Slinky Dog again; 20 minute wait." Toni suggested.

"Sure, I mean why not?"

20200721-DSC08667-X3.jpg

The skies were really this blue!

20200721-DSC08669-X3.jpg

Howdy Woody!

20200721-DSC08670-X3.jpg

Howdy Jess!

20200721-DSC08672-X3.jpg

Back in line.

20200721-DSC08677-X3.jpg

UP NEXT

More Slinky, another meetup with @coachwnh and his crew and a fun ride on Mickey's Runaway Railway!

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Wow @fractal! The details you captured in Galaxy's Edge are amazing. And TOT is my favorite all-around ride at WDW, from the ride system itself to the whole queue to the music to the Twilight Zone theme. If I put on the queue loop and look at your pictures, I really feel like I'm there.

Thanks! Endless details in GE. I caught a few more on our next day there. I've listened to the TOT queue loop from time to time!

We don't have either here in MI... so I've still never been to a Wawa, but I have been to a Sheetz on the way to my SIL house in Virginia.

Wawa have invaded Florida for the record. One more reason to move down there (someday).

I'm late as always, but here for the lemonade!
Amazing photos as always! Can't believe you managed that shot on ToT!

Thanks for following, lemonade still cold!

Thank you!

I love the chicken strips at Sheetz, with their honey mustard. It's something we will go (sightly) out of our way for. WaWa has really great subs, and pretty much all their food is like heaven after a night of drinking 😂😂

In a perfect world, everyone would have access to both.

On Lancaster Ave near my house less than a quarter mile separates a Wawa from a Sheetz.

I am thoroughly enjoying your TR! Your pictures are without a doubt the best pics I've ever seen in a TR. It's obvious just how much you love photography! I've never been on ROTR yet but your pictures gave me a great idea of what it's all about since I'm not a Star Wars fan!

Thanks for the kind words @lindawdw ! I think anyone would enjoy ROTR.

Love the flash back pictures!

And I cannot agree with your more about the HS improvements!

Thanks and yes, a different park!

Absolutely one of my top things to do/experience/appreciate in HS! I love it every time!

This line is one of my favorites from Notting Hill...when the shoplifter asks for her autograph....you probably weren't thinking of it, but it made me smile...

Love the kids' fun poses! Much easier to do without a huge crowd!

Happy I made you smile even if I don't know the reference. :)

Yes and indeed.

The pleasure was ours too! :happy:

Fun meetup!

I really enjoyed seeing all your pictures of past trips when your children were so much younger! We've been taking our kids since they were 3 years old and I love looking back on those WDW trip pictures! How wonderful that you got to meet up with Tuvalu and Em!!!

Thanks, yes I love going back and the old trips. One of the reasons I started writing these reports was just to document. Now my kids go back and read them and love them. They forgot more things than I expected.

And Bravo to your descriptions and photos!!! When I realized I was in an escape pod, I'd not kidding, my jaw hit the floor and stayed there until I was done. Loved every bit of this experience too!

Thanks! Totally agree!

That was just a fabulous trip down memory lane! What a great album :happy:

thank you !
Definitely black and white - I 💕 black and white photos

Well stayed tuned - I do a series of B&W's at Animal Kindgom!

I vote black and white. Gives it an eerie look.

Duly noted!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
@Tuvalu and @TrolleyFollower91 /Em were heading the opposite direction and our meeting cause a 15min blockage of the sidewalk. I completely threw out Covid protocol and gave them both a big hug! We compared notes; complaining about the masks and the lack of fireworks and night hours but praising the short waits. @Tuvalu couldn't believe we didn't get into our room until almost 6pm and that got Val going. Sterg and Toni were excited to reconnect and remembered our meeting in 2017 and brought up our almost meeting in 2011 when we where tables away at Hoop-de-doo-review. See my last trip report for details. Of course I had to take a group picture.

20200721-DSC08639-X3.jpg

After some more chit-chat we departed ways. As I've been thinking about this meeting with @Tuvalu , the best reason I can tell people to visit the parks right now is that it gives you a chance to experience the World with full-time
Shirley status!

Always a pleasure ladies!

Now that is the way to do a selfie - awesome composition - love it!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
On Lancaster Ave near my house less than a quarter mile separates a Wawa from a Sheetz.

I didn't realize we lived so close to one another. I'm just off the Brownstown exit of 222, and I work in Reading. Or at least I used to before COVID. Now I'm working from home. We should get together at the Beverly Hills Tavern for a drink sometime!!

lindawdw

Your photos are just outstanding!!! That's so great that your kids go back and read your old TR's! It's like having a vacation diary and reading about not only the places you visited in WDW but the family dynamic and interaction with each other. I can't believe how empty Sunset Blvd. looks in your picture. :oops:

Rista1313

My son may have had a lacrosse tournament in PA this past weekend. I may have made my husband stop at WAWA and get me a mask.

A comfortable, well fitting mask is like the perfect pair of jeans. It may take awhile to find but when you do, you know it.

This could be that mask.

You should follow me on Facebook! I have been trying and modeling different masks for awhile now... trying to find the goldilocks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom