News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
Models are converging showing it going up the middle of the state.

05L_tracks_latest.png

Still way to early to tell. Ensemble models which are a good precursor for how the next operational model will turn out are indicating a possible turn before the coast and it hugs the coast. Up until 48 hours prior these models are still very low confidence.

seascape

Models are converging showing it going up the middle of the state.

05L_tracks_latest.png
I have mixed feelings on this path. Since I own a home on the Southwest coast near Ft. Meyers the path is better for us. However, owning several DVC contracts and being a stockholder, I don't want to see this go over WDW. I hope for the best and that this is the only Hurricane to hit Florida as I will be at WDW on 9/20 for our anniversary trip.

Oddysey

By not recommending travel during a tropical event?

What would you like me to do? Sprinkle some dust on it?

I don’t control cosmic events...if I did, I’d have a really cool, big boat.

Jokes affect nothing on the internet.

I have lived in Polk County most all my life and have had the eye of 4 hurricanes pass right over me when it was often forecasted not too. That said, we purchased all needed supplies yesterday, and down the road will make a decision on whether to board the windows or not. I am slightly nervous at the moment, but to your point, levity is appreciated in times like these. It helps keep the nerves light while the local news attempts to drive one into a panic. I especially appreciated the "Dorian wanting to visit Galaxy's Edge on opening weekend" meme. It made me laugh in an uncertain moment.

On a side note, I am not sure this will be true this time due to GE opening, but historically the best days to visit Disney are the day after a hurricane. I have done it many times, and it reminds me of the old days when there were off-seasons. Walkways are open and attraction wait times are short. Not to mention, Disney historically has power and my house does not so I especially enjoy the areas with A/C.

Be safe everyone!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I have mixed feelings on this path. Since I own a home on the Southwest coast near Ft. Meyers the path is better for us. However, owning several DVC contracts and being a stockholder, I don't want to see this go over WDW. I hope for the best and that this is the only Hurricane to hit Florida as I will be at WDW on 9/20 for our anniversary trip.

If this storm hits Florida - 4 years in a row of major hurricanes - we get a reprieve for the next 2 decades.

durangojim

We’re supposed to fly out of mco at 2pm on Sunday. Should I try to get a flight out on Saturday or would early Sunday morning be sufficient?

rodserling27

That’s what I’m thinking too
Keep in mind that these things almost ALWAYS hit later than predicted. Already in the last 24 hours, the arrival times at each designed spot have moved back by a few hours. Remember that the timing predictions (particularly the wind force estimations) are based on the data RIGHT NOW, assuming there are few changes. That being said, it might not hurt to be prepared just in case. Always better safe than sorry.

I am driving down from Delaware this afternoon with an old college buddy. We are going to do as much as we can Friday and Saturday and plan to leave and at least get out of FL late Sat night or early Sun morning, based on this track. If Dorian takes his time coming in, we may try to hit a few things Sunday, but I'll keep my eyes on the wind forecasts. (I also would hate to get stuck in traffic for 6+ hours). Hopefully this thing keeps taking its time getting to FL or swings up north entirely! Anything is possible.

seascape

If this storm hits Florida - 4 years in a row of major hurricanes - we get a reprieve for the next 2 decades.
I hope we get a few years reprieve. Charlie went right over us. Then we go hit by Sandy at our Jersey Shore home and Staten Island. Can you believe that, two homes in one storm.

Fortunately we were not hit too hard at either place. I am not complaining because many were hurt much worse than we were. I thank God for that and that we are fortunate enough to have everything we have and get to vacation at WDW as many times as we do. All I can say is I hope everyone here will make a contribution to those less fortunate than us. who get hit by this storm. It is up to all of us to help our fellow Americans.

bpadair32

When you make decisions with $$$ in your eyes it's easy to forget simple logic such as, "Don't rush a partial opening of a new land in WDW so it debuts in the middle of hurricane season." Lots of money on the line here if people start canceling or severely limiting their plans to see SWGE this weekend...and possibly Chapek's butt? (Not likely, but one could dream.)

I find it in very bad taste to use a thread where people are trying to get useful information about a potential natural disaster to start taking shots at management. There are plenty of other threads here for those types of complaints.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Keep in mind that these things almost ALWAYS hit later than predicted. Already in the last 24 hours, the arrival times at each designed spot have moved back by a few hours. Remember that the timing predictions (particularly the wind force estimations) are based on the data RIGHT NOW, assuming there are few changes. That being said, it might not hurt to be prepared just in case. Always better safe than sorry.

I am driving down from Delaware this afternoon with an old college buddy. We are going to do as much as we can Friday and Saturday and plan to leave and at least get out of FL late Sat night or early Sun morning, based on this track. If Dorian takes his time coming in, we may try to hit a few things Sunday, but I'll keep my eyes on the wind forecasts. (I also would hate to get stuck in traffic for 6+ hours). Hopefully this thing keeps taking its time getting to FL or swings up north entirely! Anything is possible.

The issue is trying to determine when MCO will close and when that announcement is made.

Make sure you keep your gas tank full - you'll be leaving FL when people will be evacuating north.

rodserling27

The issue is trying to determine when MCO will close and when that announcement is made.

Make sure you keep you're gas tank full - you'll be leaving FL when people will be evacuating north.
Yep, gas tank is one of my main priorities! I'm prepared to sit in traffic whenever we leave, so plenty of gas, some great CDs and a few snacks will make it a little more bearable. :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yep, gas tank is one of my main priorities! I'm prepared to sit in traffic whenever we leave, so plenty of gas, some great CDs and a few snacks will make it a little more bearable. :)

There will be gas shortages in the state. If you haven't, download an app that shows where supplies are....don't want to waste gas hunting for gas.

Have a great trip and safe return! Galaxy's Edge is awesome

rodserling27

There will be gas shortages in the state. If you haven't, download an app that shows where supplies are....don't want to waste gas hunting for gas.

Have a great trip and safe return! Galaxy's Edge is awesome
Thanks! Any suggestions on an app?

I was underwhelmed by GE in DL, but now that I know what to expect, I think I'll have a good time.

Disorbust

Any recommendations on the "gas app"? Is there one for water lol, my kids can't find any in Windermere and going to try Costco tonight.

This is their first hurricaine and I agree the local news has them thinking they are in the apcolapse. I basically told them to plan like a blizzard up here. Am I m issing anything important to tell them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom