News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The current forecast has a cone of probability. In that cone, the eyewall is close to Orlando. Even if just at the shore, the storm is large enough that Orlando will be under its reach. That's sustained tropical force winds.

And that's with a correct forecast. Because the cone of probability is correct if the hurricane takes just one of them. And one of those routes is hammering Orlando.
...you and I rarely agree like this.

I just don’t understand what drives someone to even “think” of suggesting not to be the maximum level of cautious with this?

Seems more “basic” in thought than what we have seen these Last few days

Sped2424

5pm update next update at 8. Dorian is a hugger.

KikoKea

We lived in Hawaii for 15 years until 2 years ago and learned it is best to be prepared ahead of time- there weren't any trucks from nearby states coming to our rescue. Any hint of a storm, and the shelves were emptied. We kept the cars gassed, stored food, candles, charcoal, water, tarps, crank radios, batteries, along with a water filter and WaterBob (tub storage thing for water), and never had to worry or deal with the frenzy. We now live in the center of SC, so don't face the dangers of the coast (although the western cone edge includes us now), but we still have our emergency preparedness items. Anyone near the coast should be already prepared for hurricane season.

Lensman

2pm update

155815_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
90% of people on this thread already know this but I think it's worth observing that the cone of uncertainty from this forecast has a certain explanatory power, given what we know.

We know that the models anticipate a weakening of the ridge to the north late Monday and into Tuesday and that this weakening means that Dorian will turn to the north instead of continuing west, but that there is uncertainty about how far west Dorian will get before the ridge weakens and this turn begins.

We can see this in the cone above. If Dorian stalls a lot, it will follow a track represented by the right-hand side of the cone and stay far out to sea. If Dorian moves west faster or if the ridge takes longer to weaken or both, Dorian will follow the left edge of the cone and make landfall around Palm Beach. Under this "bad" scenario, Dorian would then turn north up the spine of Florida towards Orlando, following the left-hand edge of the cone. Note also that upon landfall Dorian will lose integrity and its wind field will expand beyond the already massive Tropical Storm force windfield represented by the tan area around the Bahamas.

Note: The quoted post automagically updated to the 5pm update so I'm going to post in the original 2pm update below.

Last edited:

seascape

90% of people on this thread already know this but I think it's worth observing that the cone of uncertainty from this forecast has a certain explanatory power, given what we know.

We know that the models anticipate a weakening of the ridge to the north late Monday and into Tuesday and that this weakening means that Dorian will turn to the north instead of continuing west, but that there is uncertainty about how far west Dorian will get before the ridge weakens and this turn begins.

We can see this in the cone above. If Dorian stalls a lot, it will follow a track represented by the right-hand side of the cone and stay far out to sea. If Dorian moves west faster or if the ridge takes longer to weaken or both, Dorian will follow the left edge of the cone and make landfall around Palm Beach. Under this "bad" scenario, Dorian would then turn north up the spine of Florida towards Orlando, following the left-hand edge of the cone. Note also that upon landfall Dorian will lose integrity and its wind field will expand beyond the already massive Tropical Storm force windfield represented by the tan area around the Bahamas.
I hope you are right because the storm has slowed down so much. I saw 3 MPH not long ago. That would mean it stays on the right hand side. I am still worried because it is so big and so powerful. The thing is the actual damage is not just the speed of the winds but its duration and I can't imagine how bad the Bahamas are getting hammered for as long as they will.

EvilChameleon

Honestly, Is there anyone happier about Dorian than Iger right now? This weather event gives him a perfect scapegoat for the weak earning he will have to report in a few months. Sorry, folks, SWGE would have given us AMAZING returns if it wasn't for that Dorian.

This is a dumb post. I'm sure he cares more about a possible loss of life than the bottom line of a themed land that just opened.

Lensman

I hope you are right because the storm has slowed down so much. I saw 3 MPH not long ago. That would mean it stays on the right hand side. I am still worried because it is so big and so powerful. The thing is the actual damage is not just the speed of the winds but its duration and I can't imagine how bad the Bahamas are getting hammered for as long as they will.
The hurricane hunter planes have been sampling the ridge to the north as well and I think measured it as stronger than the NWS had originally thought, but the forecast track didn't move to the west, so I think the slowing and the strength and resilience of the ridge are offsetting. That said, this is all just explanation/characterization. The numerical model outputs provide the best predictions on what is likely to happen.

At 3 mph, that means that parts of the Bahamas could be in hurricane force winds for more than 24 hours. I'm not sure if hurricane-rated doors would hold up to that. Reinforced concrete shelters will, though, I hope.

bclane

I just remembered that one of my elementary school teachers moved to the Bahamas recently. I freaked out. Thank God she is ok and thank Facebook I was able to contact her to find out. She said they are living in New Providence and so not in the direct path but getting heavy wind and rain. Man I just about had a heart attack when I thought about her.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Storm has slowed to a 5mph crawl due west and gusts increased to 225mph. Equivalent to an F4 tornado. Freeport's a goner. Jeeeez.

View attachment 404596

5 mph. In water of 90°+

*expletive deleted*

Apparently, West Palm Beach will begin to feel tropical storm force winds starting about 5 hours from now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom