News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

beertiki

Back home after happy hour. Much talk at the bar, Sugarloaf Tiki, about gas. Looking like their is none from Key West MM 0 to Marathon MM 50.

Waiting on the next video from Levi. tropicaltidbits.com

For all those talking about out to sea, or a few miles east scenarios, the Airport made the decision to close. Do you think that they made this decision without knowing the opinions of the most respected storm forecasters in the world?

Unless the storm is north of your location, you should be very nervous.

WDW862

I live in Savannah and, although I have hoped for a turn away from Florida, each new advisory looks worse and worse for us. We have only been brushed over the years and Matthew was the worst. Trees down all over and the city was blocked off for re-entry for 5 days. I also went through Hugo but I was only 5 at the time so I don't remember much. But I know for a fact that even a near miss by a storm of this strength is going to devastate this area.

Here's hoping this thing takes a spin out to sea and spares us all category 4 devastation. If not let's just hope for the best!

U.S landfall is imminent. Just a matter of where.

WDW862

Back home after happy hour. Much talk at the bar, Sugarloaf Tiki, about gas. Looking like their is none from Key West MM 0 to Marathon MM 50.

For all those talking about out to sea, or a few miles east scenarios, the Airport made the decision to close. Do you think that they made this decision without knowing the opinions of the most respected storm forecasters in the world?

The entire Southeast needs to be prepared for the worst.

BoarderPhreak

They say that every single time. Hurricane Matthew was so hyped up it was unbelievable. Rick Scott said it would be the worst hurricane for Florida in 100 years. I remember the weather channel having a hard time finding damage and did their on location reporting in front of a snapped tree branch. No joke.
Hold my beer... 🍺

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 9.10.44 PM.png

Polydweller

I'll stick with nil if it hugs the coast, and we'll see who is right.
And you will be wrong. I have been unlucky enough to be through a couple and also there during Matthew. It stayed off shore but all though slight there was damage and some flooding around Disney. Not a lot of damage but definitely not nil. It is folly to try to downplay these things. Plan for the worst and be thankful if it misses you is the best strategy. Oh, and Matthew veered away at the last minute. It’s possible for a storm to do the opposite and veer inland.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster

Airport closing was an easy one because the tropics storm force winds extend out 100 miles and planes on approach and departure are not going to land or takeoff in them. It was probably a. Easy call.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Actually most commercial aircraft can safely operate in crosswind conditions up to 35knots which is right the beginning of tropical storm levels. Notice I said "crosswind" (across the runway) because if the wind is blowing in the direction of take off or landing (which is likely) then can go beyond that.

That is dependent on both aircraft type and runway conditions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Airport closing was an easy one because the tropics storm force winds extend out 100 miles and planes on approach and departure are not going to land or takeoff in them. It was probably a. Easy call.
True story...it was windy on my flight last week from Vegas and the pilot came on after they had to circle and said “just an update...we picked up a strong head wind on descent and they reversed the approach of all planes coming in. Usually we like to keep to to 8 or 9 miles but it’s was gusting up to 19 or 20 so we’re not gonna do that”

Just some perspective

The Mom

Premium Member
You should only leave if you're in a flood zone or have trees that could possibly fall on your house. You should not put strain on the state's resources if you don't have to

Exactly. The local emergency services keep stressing that sometimes it's only necessary to evacuate from a level A zone to a level D or E - which might only be 10 - 15 miles away. In Jacksonville, it might be going from the beaches inland to the west side of town. Our friends who live 2 blocks from the ocean just had to travel about 15 mins (more with traffic) to a relative's house in an inland area.

DisneyDebRob

I’m beginning to think tigerlight is the Walt Disney world revenue officer...

Are you predicting less storm impact and encouraging people to fly in Gale force winds?!?
It’s the internet, there’s always someone that knows more then the experts. Unless there is total devastation they will be right. Everyone in the path of this thing, just be safe.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Actually most commercial aircraft can safely operate in crosswind conditions up to 35knots which is right the beginning of tropical storm levels. Notice I said "crosswind" (across the runway) because if the wind is blowing in the direction of take off or landing (which is likely) then can go beyond that.

Great you did a google search for the purpose of being argumentative. To discredit your statement you mentioned 35 knots as a limit. Tropical storm force winds are between 34 and 62 knots. At that point do you think airlines or ATC is going to risk it?

Please stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom